Info on application process and timeline for Post Doctorate Dental Residency Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lono

Reaction score
I remember being able to find an answer to almost any pre dental application related question I had when looking into applying to dental, now that I am in dental school I am having a hard time finding similar information about how the residency application works and finding info about it.

I am not 100% on what specialty I want to do but I do want to start preparing for it now as a D1. I just want to know what kind of things go on an application what they look for/at and where I can access resources for applications in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Endo usually doesn't take applicants without a GPR/AEGD or experience working as a general dentist. It may benefit you to do research with Endo faculty as well. Oral and facial surgery requires you to take a medical board exam (CBSE) and to be ranked near the top of your class (usually around top 10 is preferred). They also want you to go on externships to OMFS programs which you normally go on during your junior and senior year. Ortho is also very competitive and is also looking for candidates around that rank, but they usually take the GRE exam or possibly the ADAT. Research is desirable for them as well. Peds, perio and pros are less competitive but grades will always help you out. AEGD/GPR programs are probably the least competitive, just because of the abundance of programs, but there are some programs that are competitive and look closely at your academic performance in school.

My advice to you is to maintain good grades, get to know faculty in your interested field either through research or working on cases with them (like going on call with the OMFS guys, doing senior selectives in specific specialties) so that you can gather letters of recommendations from them. By far the most important thing you should be doing is focusing on your grades since that helps keep opportunities open to you.

You begin working on your postdoctoral app in the summer in between junior and senior year, and submit your ADEA pass application in August or September, depending on program due dates.

Last edited: