Injection after oral steroid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient just took a course of oral steroids (within last few days, usually from PCP) or finishing up a course, but still with significant pain, and comes in wanting an injection, would you have them wait (1-2 weeks?) before doing a steroid injection? Or do you go ahead and do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on there never being a role for oral steroids for spinal pathology other than possibly SCI, just inject them, then educate the PCPs and Surgeons to stop the insanity.

Likely not news to any of you, but see recent study on oral steroids in back pain:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24739318/

"CONCLUSION: We detected no benefit from oral corticosteroids in our ED patients with musculoskeletal LBP."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
interestingly, also just recently published, a single IV injection of dex may be helpful short term.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25122642
Does a single dose of intravenous dexamethasone reduce Symptoms in Emergency department patients with low Back pain and RAdiculopathy (SEBRA)? A double-blind randomised controlled trial.
CONCLUSIONS:
In patients with LBPR, a single dose of intravenous dexamethasone in addition to routine management improved VAS pain scores at 24 h, but this effect was not statistically significant at 6 weeks. Dexamethasone may reduce EDLOS and can be considered as a safe adjunct to standard treatment.
Just to confuse people even more, Birdstrike's post comes from the Journal of Emergency Medicine. the link i just posted comes from Emergency Medicine Journal...

I am sure everyone on this board has had a patient who has had short term benefit from oral steroids for radiculopathy. I have at least one a month who is going on vacation or something and I call in a medrol dose pack and they may or may not feel better for a week until I can get them in for an injection. I have zero issue injecting after they have completed a course. No big deal. Just like treating a rash.

I am sure everyone on this board has had a patient who has had short term benefit from oral steroids for radiculopathy. I have at least one a month who is going on vacation or something and I call in a medrol dose pack and they may or may not feel better for a week until I can get them in for an injection. I have zero issue injecting after they have completed a course. No big deal. Just like treating a rash.

exactly. stopgap measure.

if they are on a tapered course, just have them stop it for the injection