Inorganic Chemistry Prerequisite Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseapple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

So I took an expedited inorganic chemistry class. It was a 4 credit class that covered a full year's worth of material. Frustratingly, I still have to take another 4 credits worth of inorganic chemistry.

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?

By the end of this semester, I will have 8 credits of inorganic chemistry, but only half of those credits will have been accompanied with a lab.

Thanks very much--

Members don't see this ad.

Great answer, thank you Gonnif. That "prematriculation phase" makes everything make sense.

Goodluck--

When you say "Inorganic Chemistry" are you specifically referring to upper-division chemistry courses on like metals and ligands and stuff? Or do you mean something more along the lines of General Chemistry?

If a school's requirements say "Inorganic Chemistry" and say nothing about "General Chemistry", then I'm inclined to believe that they mean gen-chem when they say inorganic chem. I don't know of any schools who have an actual inorganic chemistry requirement.

I ask because I believe that the only "upper division Inorganic Chemistry" classes that are lectures without labs are the real, hardcore inorganic chemistry courses.

I presumed Gen Chem. You know, just go take a second term Gen Chem at a local CC with lab and you got what you need

Right, I presumed the same, but I re-read OPs post, especially this line:

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?

Which, to me, sounds like a course progression in real inorganic chemistry rather than General Chemistry. But things vary a lot between colleges I suppose, so I'm sure there are actual General Chemistry courses somewhere in the country which don't have associated labs. :shrug: