Inpatient pharmacists - how's it going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtg345x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cause I'm getting killed here in the SE.
18 bed ICU - all COVID. Mini medical ICU taken over PACU. Mini-COVID ICU in the ER. All surgeries non-emergent on hold today. Ran out of ventilators yesterday. All hospitals in metro area on Total Diversion.
No Toci, Sporadic baricitinib, remdesivir good for all the ****ing good it does. Out of propofol.

Low Morale overall. But my director is buying us pizza friday so that more than makes up for it. /s

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We are getting slammed- hospital is at 120% of capacity, holding 20-30 patients in the ED. Getting calls from outlying hospitals two states and 400 miles away looking for a place to transfer pts.

Last two nights we had a total of 14 COVID pt's in the ED 13 unvaccinated.
ICU currently has 28 COVID patients, 3 unvaccinated, all with significant immunosupression.

Sh**ty.

Worse than the previous waves because while our COVID numbers aren't high, the people who avoided the hospital the past 1.5 years are coming in sick as ****.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cause I'm getting killed here in the SE.
18 bed ICU - all COVID. Mini medical ICU taken over PACU. Mini-COVID ICU in the ER. All surgeries non-emergent on hold today. Ran out of ventilators yesterday. All hospitals in metro area on Total Diversion.
No Toci, Sporadic baricitinib, remdesivir good for all the ****ing good it does. Out of propofol.

Low Morale overall. But my director is buying us pizza friday so that more than makes up for it. /s

It's pretty chill here in NYC suburbs. Maybe 1-2 covid patients in the ICU. Our hell was March 2020-June 2020 and then last winter also.

I responded to a code the other night and it turned out to be a 6 month old with a case of SIDS.

I'm a bit traumatized bc I have a 10 month old, feel really bad for the parents. Hearing that mother crying and begging the doctors not to give up even though they had been performing ACLS for an hour is something you never forget.

It’s miserable. Our ICU is not full of covid, yet, but experience tells us it takes a few weeks to trickle from the floor to the icu. Our population is younger now, and the younger ones are unvaccinated. We have older vaccinated patients but on my anecdotal review they get better faster and don’t stay as long.

Having a minor health crisis of my own at the moment and I probably should head to the ER today. But I’ll wait for hours and probably catch covid in the meantime.

It's been pretty ****ty with a way higher than normal census / hospital full of unvaccinated patients for a minute, but it looks like things are starting to go in the right direction now. A few people are getting burned out and quit or are trying to drop to part time.

Not too bad here out in the middle of nowhere. Didn't have Covid patients all summer and it's just starting to heat up again with 1-3 patients on the floor at any one time. I expect it will get worse as we head into fall. Same thing with Regeneron, just getting going with it again after not doing an antibody infusion for a couple months.

We do have a really hard time transferring anyone out anymore, which is unfortunate for the patients as we do not have an ICU here...we just do the best we can and keep trying for the transfer. Census is generally high all of the time anymore, just not necessarily with Covid.

It's terrible. All ICUs full, nearly all with COVID. Several medical floors turned into ICUs. We've run out of ventilators but we were able to get more. We've run out of pumps and we're shuffling and adjusting things. Keeping up with compounding the high quantity of narcotic drips is brutal. We've done reasonably well not running out of drugs so far but Actemra is sporatic. Holds in the ER, holds at critical access hospitals, new patients keep coming.

It is no fun. Way too much high need COVID, way to little basic stuff. Elective surgeries are continuing, but at a curtailed rate.

Thankfully, IL state mandated vaccines for healthcare workers are going into effect, but a significant minority of nursing is saying they will quit first. Which...personally, I don't think unvaccinated nurses(or anyone) should be working in healthcare....but on the other hand, it is not going to be feasible to replace them. One of my co-workers joked that pharmacists will have to start administering meds to patients. :oops: The few holdouts in pharmacy seem likely to concede and get vaccinated.

Plus rumor is my hospital may be being restructured/bought out, after just having been bought out and restructured just a few years ago.

But really, not so bad. Nothing like what I'm hearing is happening in hospitals in FL, TX, AL, and Georgia.