Insomniacs, what field is best for us ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the insomniacs place in medicine? I can never sleep, and all late night TV has done is convince me that I need medical attention. But I embrace my insomnia and since I can’t sleep more than 3 hours a night, I figure I might as well be a surgeon. Seriously though this sucks, insomnia is no fun. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Homer Doughnuts said:
What is the insomniacs place in medicine? I can never sleep, and all late night TV has done is convince me that I need medical attention. But I embrace my insomnia and since I can’t sleep more than 3 hours a night, I figure I might as well be a surgeon. Seriously though this sucks, insomnia is no fun. :(
i'd say peds or ob/gyn. :)

resesarch. data sets are addictive, man. and there's ALWAYS ways to make progress in the middle of the night whereas if you're in practice you can't exactly call up your patients and be like, i have a minute and i've been pondering a solution at three in the morning...

Members don't see this ad :)
banana k said:
resesarch. data sets are addictive, man. and there's ALWAYS ways to make progress in the middle of the night whereas if you're in practice you can't exactly call up your patients and be like, i have a minute and i've been pondering a solution at three in the morning...

Yeah, i guess messing up numbers isn't as bad as messing up people. Unless the numbers you mess up end up messing up more people. :laugh:

Homer Doughnuts said:

How about EM? Work seven 24 hr shifts/month...$250k/yr, 24 days/mo off and no call?

Or you could go into rads and take some of the business contracted out to banana k's land. :D

You're in a good city for insomnia...and I'll be joining you there in a month.

LSUwannabe said:
How about EM? Work seven 24 hr shifts/month...$250k/yr, 24 days/mo off and no call?

Or you could go into rads and take some of business contracted out to banana k's land. :D

You're in a good city for insomnia...and I'll be joining you there in a month.

EM is great, especially in New Orleans. I work with NOHD and have seen some crazy **** in this town, especially at Charity.

Homer Doughnuts said:
I'm thinking Emergency. My friend is working 4 shifts a week and loving her life during the day :)

I second Ob/Gyn. If a baby's coming, it's coming. ;)

I vote for EM too. I'm sure if you want to work nights, the other doctors would be more than happy to let you.

I used to have insomia too until I started reading medical text books those suckas put me to sleep right away.

Maybe psychiatry. If you make yourself available after hours, you'll be working a lot. Surgery is pretty much a given.

Have you tried biofeedback for insomia? Neurologists and neuropsychologists often do this type of work. I have heard good things about this tx for insomia.

go for Radiology .. no time for :sleep:

Yeah i'd say either EM or Rads....I volunteered in the Rad dept. for a little while, and heard that some would always be up lookin at x-rays in the middle of the night

Have you tried using melatonin for sleepless nights? Just curious.

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah i'd say either EM or Rads....I volunteered in the Rad dept. for a little while, and heard that some would always be up lookin at x-rays in the middle of the night

Hey what do you (or anyone else) know about interventional radiology. It seems like an interesting field to go into, especially with all the outsourcing of Image reading going on these days. I was wondering what these cats do, and what their residency is like.

freaker said:
Have you tried using melatonin for sleepless nights? Just curious.

UNISOM gets my vote, 50mg of benadryl. That **** will knock u out !! :thumbup:

Homer Doughnuts said:
Hey what do you (or anyone else) know about interventional radiology. It seems like an interesting field to go into, especially with all the outsourcing of Image reading going on these days. I was wondering what these cats do, and what their residency is like.

I dont know...but that sux for radiologists working in the US

I'd say OB/GYN. Most ER docs have limits on how much they can work (the one I shadow only does ~35 hours in the ER a week), but an OB/GYN's work never seems to be done.

Blue Scrub said:
I dont know...but that sux for radiologists working in the US

i too avg between 4-5 hours of sleep... the thing with is me, is that i don't think i want to sleep. if i had medicine... i wouldn't take it. weird, eh? i probably need counseling.