instruments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faeryprincess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend where to buy instruments that are required for an intro. to clinical medicine course????

Members don't see this ad.

Hi faeryprincess, I dont know if you are starting medical school this coming fall, but I understand that at most medical schools, during your orientation week, there will be companies on hand to showcase and sell their instruments. Let me know if you find a website that does sell them. Thank You! AJC :D

don't buy anything until you get to school! all the schools will have an equipment sale (usually run through SOMA - Student Osteopathic Medical Association) and you'll get a much better deal buying through SOMA rather then buying on your own (when they will really charge up the bills!)

you'll need an otoscope/opthalmascope, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, tunning forks, reflex hammer (etc.) but again, wait to buy....some schools have very active alumni clubs that will buy you some of the cheaper stuff

any other questions, just ask me....

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all of these instruments needed in the first semester? How much $$$ should I set aside (approximately) for this. Does anyone know if we will have to rent or purchase microscopes? Thanks for all info!

Muon,

No microscope for AZCOM. Equipment, I'd buy a good Littman stethoscope (or whatever you're comfortable with).

Don't spend a lot on otoscope/opthalmoscope. I spent almost 400 bucks on a Welch Allyn set, that I used about 5 or 6 times. Your preceptor will have them for you to use when you're there. You can get a decent set from Reister to use for ICM labs (saw it online, but don't remember where) for under 200--and it has everything the Welch Allyn has. Now I have a 400 dollar flashlight, which I use to mercilessly chase down my cats and try to look in their ears..... :)