Coursework & Fieldwork Insurance required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weaver84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a great school in TN, but was just informed that I am *required* to have insurance before classes in August. I'm 30(as in, no parental insurance), single(as in, no coverage from a spouse), and the deadline for marketplace insurance was in March. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm assuming there has to be a way to get coverage, but after a day of research, I'm getting a little anxious! Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you purchase insurance through the school? That's what I ended up doing. I am in my 30s, no spouse, and the school insurance was the cheaper option.

Can you purchase insurance through the school? That's what I ended up doing. I am in my 30s, no spouse, and the school insurance was the cheaper option.
Unfortunately, this is a small private school that doesn't offer that :/

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get insurance on your own from any of the standard providers. It will be a bit more expensive since you don't have anyone (school/job/government) subsidizing it. Just go to their websites and request a quote. Also you can see if you qualify for one of the special enrollment periods on the marketplace https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/ Just an FYI there is a penalty in 2015 for not having health insurance that you will be assessed on your taxes.

I'll just say that short-term health insurances are cheap and can only last for one month if you desire. You get a card in the mail with your name on it and the effective date it became active (no 'expire date'). Someone may be able to use that to send to the school and fulfill that requirement...;)