Intent to join Military - Worst or Better Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bDNA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am nontraditional applicant and will be done serving as a corps member for Teach For America when I apply.

I have a 3.3 GPA, 30 MCAT with an academic dishonesty mark on record (for cheating on an exam). I am 4.5 years removed from the cheating incident.

Top school with great ECs and recommendations.

I am intent on joining the army and applying for the HPSP scholarship.

Does the intent of joining the army hurt or benefit my chances of being accepted into medical school?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

As I tell my 12 year old, "words are easy, doing is hard."

Once you're actually in the military, then you get the points.

I am nontraditional applicant and will be done serving as a corps member for Teach For America when I apply.

I have a 3.3 GPA, 30 MCAT with an academic dishonesty mark on record (for cheating on an exam). I am 4.5 years removed from the cheating incident.

Top school with great ECs and recommendations.

I am intent on joining the army and applying for the HPSP scholarship.

Does the intent of joining the army hurt or benefit my chances of being accepted into medical school?

Thank you

If you get the HPSP scholarship, you are commissioned as an officer. IDK how that IA will look, though. Check out the Military Medicine forum.

You can "intend" on doing a lot of things but if it doesn't involve primary care you probably aren't getting any points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
The IA will be much more difficult to overcome. That is a huge red flag.