Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIgBaller55

Reaction score
Hello! I am an OMS III from a DO school in the south. I would love to do IM and apply for a heme/onc fellowship. I would ideally like to go to a solid university program but I also am open to community programs as well. Can someone guide me as to what programs I should be shooting for. Here are my stats:

Hometown: York, Pennsylvania
School: Well established osteopathic med school in the south
Bottom third of class
Step 1: 230
Comlex level 1: 568
No research or publications
Involved in student organizations and held leadership positions

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the WAMC on the IM applicant thread. Found alot of solid programs that people with similar stats as mine applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than looking at your school’s previous match lists to see where people matched IM, you can look at the following websites:

FREIDA and Residency Explorer will give you a list of all the programs. FREIDA allows you to filter by state and by type of program (community vs. academic) and by % of DOs in the program. Residency Explorer allows you to sort by % DOs too. They have some other info on there too like average work hours. The data isn’t always 100% accurate, but at least gives you a general idea of which programs are more DO friendly.

Scutwork has reviews of individual programs. The Reddit IM Interview spreadsheets (new one every year so just google those) are another source of program reviews, although by applicants that interviewed there. It‘s also a good source of gossip. Again you can’t believe everything you see on there, but if a program gets called malignant multiple year in a row, there might be some truth to that.

Doximity has information about how many of each program’s graduates went into which fellowships.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am an OMS III from a DO school in the south. I would love to do IM and apply for a heme/onc fellowship. I would ideally like to go to a solid university program but I also am open to community programs as well. Can someone guide me as to what programs I should be shooting for. Here are my stats:

Hometown: York, Pennsylvania
School: Well established osteopathic med school in the south
Bottom third of class
Step 1: 230
Comlex level 1: 568
No research or publications
Involved in student organizations and held leadership positions

Most important is finding a place that has an IN HOUSE heme Onc program. Because that is your best shot in getting into fellowship. You need to get involved in research because every other applicant is going to have this and to not have, especially in a field that is so driving by clinical trials, is not going to fair well for you, even if you don't want to do academics for the rest of your life.