International med student looking for summer research/volunteer/paid internship opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dagny22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year medical student in Malaysia - it's an undergraduate degree here. My term is just about to start and I am just planning ahead. Just wondering if anyone is aware of opportunities for research/clinical experience/paid internships in the US? Internships in the sense of office internships and not the one undertaken in the first year of postgraduate training.

Members don't see this ad.

Be more specific, what kind of internships?
Anyway, there is no way you're gonna find an internship in the US. Most of them are for people who already are in the US. Try your embassy, there are different exchange programs for 10weeks, a year... Etc. but again, most of them specify: "not for medical students". Google exchange programs US embassy Malaysia.

Be more specific, what kind of internships?
Anyway, there is no way you're gonna find an internship in the US. Most of them are for people who already are in the US. Try your embassy, there are different exchange programs for 10weeks, a year... Etc. but again, most of them specify: "not for medical students". Google exchange programs US embassy Malaysia.
Yes, I have to agree not many available if at all even through the embassy. What I had in mind is something alike the MSF office internships in New York.
Would you know anything about international opportunities then?

Yes, I have to agree not many available if at all even through the embassy. What I had in mind is something alike the MSF office internships in New York.
Would you know anything about international opportunities then?
Yes MSF accepts international applicants but it's highly competitive and YOU would have to secure a work permit in order to come and be able to get paid.
I'm curious. You're a medical student, why would you want to come to the U.S. and do office work instead of working in your country in your field? or volunteer in other countries that actually need help? Is it to visit the U.S.? do it in an exchange program, there are tons and they are awesome or maybe come later for the residency. Also, Is it worth it to pay more than what you will earn? Let's say, you'll earn 4000$ for the summer, half of it would go to the flight and the other half for the housing (and here, I'm assuming you'll find a cheap place in new york) and let's not count the transportation, the food ...etc.