International Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worldMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a medical student in the US, but I am very interested in completing my post-degree medical training/ residency in the UK. I am a US citizen. However, I have family living in the UK, and I would like to be able to complete my medical training and work there as a physician. I am interested in internal medicine/cardiology at the moment. My plan is to complete my medical education (MD/MBA) here in the US. I will have to take USMLE Step I and Step II to graduate, but I want to do post-medical training in the UK. My cousins in London are scientists and engineers, who know very little about the healthcare system for foreign doctors in the UK.

I know that post-medical training in the UK is different than the residency programs in the US, but how are they different?

What tests or procedures must I do before I can qualify for post-medical training in the UK?

What programs are available for American post-graduates?

How do I start applying for available post-medical training positions?

I'm in my second year of medical school. When should I start contacting organizations in the UK where I am interested in training?

As a foreign doctor, what special papers would I need in addition to my application?

Is there a government agency in the UK where I may direct my more detailed questions?

Given the shortage of training positions, I realize it is very difficult to find post-medical training? What are my chances as an American citizen?

I know given the state of things, I may not get a training position in the UK, but how about residency positions in other countries? I am fluent in English, Spanish, and French. Would there be any available options in Ireland, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, or even Australia for residency?

Thanks for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in knowing the answers to these questions as well. I also would like to pursue a career overseas.