This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lewisal713

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post, so please bear with me, but absolutely tell me if I should do things differently!

I am a 2017 grad with a BS in forensic biology. I completed all my pre-med classes, but I tanked my GPA, which is why I have not bothered to take the MCAT or apply to medical schools. Money is also very much a factor, in that I don't have any. I have been... unenthusiastic about the possibility of getting another expensive intermediate degree (Masters vs. Post-Bac) in the US, especially one that I would not be able to use if I still didn't get into medical school. I have been a scribe for 3 years and have accrued a lot of medical knowledge and clinical experience hours, but I don't have much else going for me as an applicant, and I feel like trying to get in is, at this point, a Sisyphean task.

At the same time, I have been very interested in moving to Germany for the past few years, for many personal reasons. I am interested in attending a med school prep program for international students (Studienkolleg), then hopefully medical school. If this all went well, I am not overly concerned about returning to the US for residency at this point, as I feel it is relatively likely that I would stay in Europe.

SO, here is my actual question: Does anyone know of any reputable, reliable sources of advising for someone in my position? I am open to the idea of a paid service, provided it's not some shady operation. I have seen a lot of kind of abstract information online about this whole process, but I feel that it would be super helpful to speak to someone who is actually familiar with it. I also no longer have access to advising at my alma mater as I have been graduated for over 1 year, and tbh I feel like advising there was part of my problem to begin with.

I appreciate any input that any of you may have!! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you speak German? If not, scrap the idea right there. I have a few friends that spoke good (but not excellent German) in medizinstudium and the struggle is real. I would reach out to the student service center/medical faculty at any of the medizinischen fakultaeten. I knew a few years ago who did these advising sessions in one university, but he seemed to have moved on.

Also remember that medicine in Germany is the long haul, and you would have to repeat a lot of undergrad studies. They will likely not give you credit. And while tuition is (almost) free, living in Universitaetsstaedten is rather expensive, and you may not qualify for BAFOEG.

Reactions: 1 user
I lived in Germany for two years and experienced their healthcare. Sure you wanna do this? Ever been there before? How can you know you would like it? Any family there?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Germany for two years and experienced their healthcare. Sure you wanna do this? Ever been there before? How can you know you would like it? Any family there?

Short answers are yes and no, I don't have family anywhere, including where I live now. I need a radical change in my life at this point, not just for educational reasons, but that is part of it. Basically, I have nothing to lose by pursuing this that I couldn't just as easily lose by staying where I am now. I know that's all kind of vague, but I promise you that I have thought this through. I am trying to save up to go back over there and visit a few more cities, but I'm not sure if that will be possible with my current income if I am also potentially going to need to save up to make the move overseas.

I appreciate your questions :)

Last edited:
Do you speak German? If not, scrap the idea right there. I have a few friends that spoke good (but not excellent German) in medizinstudium and the struggle is real. I would reach out to the student service center/medical faculty at any of the medizinischen fakultaeten. I knew a few years ago who did these advising sessions in one university, but he seemed to have moved on.

Also remember that medicine in Germany is the long haul, and you would have to repeat a lot of undergrad studies. They will likely not give you credit. And while tuition is (almost) free, living in Universitaetsstaedten is rather expensive, and you may not qualify for BAFOEG.

Yes, I have approximately B2 level German at this point, and one of my only talents in this world is acquiring languages. I'm relatively certain that if I went there for Studienkolleg, that I would be fluent pretty quickly. I would also likely look into some more intense online courses even prior to that if I can figure out a little better what direction to take with my studies.

I have been hesitant to reach out to the university staff directly, but if you think that may help, I will definitely give it a try! Thank you for the suggestion :)

I'm also not concerned about time at this point, as I feel that I've already wasted plenty of it, but also have plenty of it left. If I don't make it into practice until I'm 40, then so be it- as long as I make it, that's what matters!

I'm not sure if you still check this thread or not, but please don't pay for any of those services - you get all the needed information from official homepages.
and maybe even Startseite - but I'm not sure application is needed through this site for medicine.
Also check the German "equivalent" of SDN - Medi-learn.de - you might even find some international students out there or at least people that know more about the application process.

Well. Somewhat outdated thread. But if you have B2 then it's not that long nor hard.

1) Select a Bundesland
2) Look for all the requirements (you must be living in Germany because they require your Fürungszeugnis) and translate all your paperwork to German (Immer beglaubigt).
3) Apply for the Fachsprachrpüfung (and pass it obviously)
4) You get your Berufserlaubnis valid for 2 years (befristet)
5) Apply for the Kenntnisprüfung (Oral Step 2CK 2CS auf Deutsch) and pass
6) Get your permanent license (Approbation)
7) Apply directly to open spots at hospitals to start working as a reaident.

I'min the middle of this process. Took me 10months to go from no german to B2/C1 but now I'm stuck (can't get an appointment for the Fachsprachrpüfung nor the Kenntnisprüfung because of the corona crisis).

Anyhow, good luck!