International Student doing summer IM rotation in the US. Would like some advice and clarification.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrenergic91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a student currently in my 4th year (out of 6) studying in Eastern Europe, with my Step 1 passed, and looking for rotation opportunities in the US with the intent of learning and obtaining a great LOR.

Given how crappy rotations are in my country, I'm assuming they are completely different in the U.S., and would like to use the time from now until the summer to prepare so I don't make a complete fool of myself. As such, I would be very appreciative if you guys could answer some of these questions.

1) What is a student expected to know while rotating IM? Would the knowledge I have left over from Step 1 suffice or would a pass or two through SUTM prior to the rotation benefit me greatly?

2) What sort of responsibilities are given to students? Do these differ greatly for internationals vs AMGs?

3) What kind of schedule can I expect to have? Do I have any control over it in regards to which days I get off, etc.?

4) What extras can I do to ensure I get at least a good LOR?

5) Do International students rotate side-by-side with AMGs? If yes, have you seen any obvious discrimination between the two? If yes, how?

Thanks a lot in advance :D

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.