international student, shall I add in more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niyamo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my MCAT score and wonder if I should add in more schools as the score is not as great as expected. If so, I'd appreciate if you can give me some recommendations.

Just a little background - I graduated from an Ivy with 3.98 GPA. MCAT: 34 (14 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS). I am an international student (grew up in non-English environment, didn't go to international schools).

I have done research since sophomore year and have worked in three labs with one publication in a top journal. thousands of hours.

Clinical experience wise, I have volunteered at hospital front desk (40 hours), volunteered for clinical research (150 hours), shadowed a doctor full-time for a month (150 hours), volunteered at a local clinic ( 100-150 hours) and shadowed some other doctors during school years (30 hours).

I also did a good amount of community volunteers in various institutions ( 100 hours).

I have been working with a group of underprivileged people in my home country. I volunteered full time in a rural community center (10 hours train ride from where I am from) for twice and a total of 4-5 weeks. I founded and ran a group at my college for this group of people and also did an internship with a non-profit organization focusing on similar problems.

The following is the list of schools that I have already submitted my primary to-

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
BU
Case western
Columbia
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Penn
Stanford
Tufts
Uchicago
Upitts
Vandy
Brown
WashU
Cornell
Yale

I would not be nearly as concerned if I was a US citizen or green card holder. My status as an international student will significantly lower my chance of getting in at many schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems that you are only interested in the top-tier schools. If that is true, your list is fine. If you would attend schools in a lower tier, there is no harm in applying to them, especially if you have the time and money to complete the applications. I think you will get into at least one of the schools you have applied to. Don't stress too much, with your scores from an Ivy, you will do great. I went to Brown for one semester myself...

thanks a lot for the advice! Brown is great! I guess I will just go with the list then.