Internet Trolls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cool video. :) I must admit I don't understand how people can be trolls - I mean I do, obviously I just watched that video for one thing, but being a total pr!ck to people just for the sake of eliciting a negative emotional response is not exactly something I sit around and think, like 'yeah, hurting people's feelings on purpose, that sounds like fun' *sarcastic thumbs up* :uhno:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most internet nonsense -
http://ageof****lords.com/list-of-all-tumblr-genders-so-far/

(It needed a proper derailing)

Reactions: 1 user
Most internet nonsense -

(It needed a proper derailing)

Link's not working for some reason. Is this the list you're talking about by any chance? http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/gender/ ....'cause far be it from me to tell a non binary person how they should identify, but I've shown that list to several of my trans and genderqueer friends and they pretty much fell over laughing. At this point I'm not actually sure if Tumblr is just one giant social experiment in trolling people so well they actually take this **** seriously (and then proceed to hit the capslock button at anyone who doesn't accept that they are totally an aerogendered trans-racially-abled dolphin.

Reactions: 1 users
Trolling- real trolling- isn't about getting a negative response out of people for the sale of getting a negative response. It's about getting people enraged about things they should never be upset about in the first place, in the hope that they might realize that caring so much about that thing is ridiculous. And if they cannot see the error of their ways, then others can see the mindless butthurt fury they got frothed into over your misquoting of Gandalf as Dumbledore and think, "Wow, I hope I'm never that guy, that's ridiculous" and learn from the error of his ways. True trolling is when people who care way too little about a topic poke fun at those who care way too much about it. It's the ultimate way for Type Bs to push the buttons of Type As and those who are a bit too obsessive about things. It's an attempt at enlightenment through the absurdity of anger that should not exist yet does, and is completely off the charts at that.

Now, this is different from what many people think trolling is. Some people think trolling is just being a jerk that yells racist slurs in all caps, SWATting people, or mailing and spamming someone death threats because of some stupid thing they did is trolling. That's not trolling, that's being a ****, and sometimes breaking the law while they're at it. Classic trolling isn't named after the mythical beast that lives under a bridge, it's named after the fishing technique. One trolls for victims by leaving bait comments that most people would ignore or find innocuous, but your target audience will find irresistible and latch onto without letting go. This is the big difference between trolling and being a jerk- a jerk is actively assaulting their victim with comments or actions, while a tell simply lets a person's deeply held beliefs and passions destroy themself.

So basically, that's my abridged intro to trolling theory. Trolling is a art.

Trolling- real trolling- isn't about getting a negative response out of people for the sale of getting a negative response. It's about getting people enraged about things they should never be upset about in the first place, in the hope that they might realize that caring so much about that thing is ridiculous. And if they cannot see the error of their ways, then others can see the mindless butthurt fury they got frothed into over your misquoting of Gandalf as Dumbledore and think, "Wow, I hope I'm never that guy, that's ridiculous" and learn from the error of his ways. True trolling is when people who care way too little about a topic poke fun at those who care way too much about it. It's the ultimate way for Type Bs to push the buttons of Type As and those who are a bit too obsessive about things. It's an attempt at enlightenment through the absurdity of anger that should not exist yet does, and is completely off the charts at that.

Now, this is different from what many people think trolling is. Some people think trolling is just being a jerk that yells racist slurs in all caps, SWATting people, or mailing and spamming someone death threats because of some stupid thing they did is trolling. That's not trolling, that's being a ****, and sometimes breaking the law while they're at it. Classic trolling isn't named after the mythical beast that lives under a bridge, it's named after the fishing technique. One trolls for victims by leaving bait comments that most people would ignore or find innocuous, but your target audience will find irresistible and latch onto without letting go. This is the big difference between trolling and being a jerk- a jerk is actively assuming their victim with comments or actions, while a tell simply lets a person's deeply held beliefs and passions destroy themself.

:troll: :nono: +pissed+

Reactions: 1 user
scaled.php

Now, this is different from what many people think trolling is. Some people think trolling is just being a jerk that yells racist slurs in all caps, SWATting people, or mailing and spamming someone death threats because of some stupid thing they did is trolling. That's not trolling, that's being a ****, and sometimes breaking the law while they're at it. Classic trolling isn't named after the mythical beast that lives under a bridge, it's named after the fishing technique. One trolls for victims by leaving bait comments that most people would ignore or find innocuous, but your target audience will find irresistible and latch onto without letting go. This is the big difference between trolling and being a jerk- a jerk is actively assaulting their victim with comments or actions, while a tell simply lets a person's deeply held beliefs and passions destroy themself.

Now this is the type of trolling I most remember way back when I was just a wee little netizen first dialling into the world wide web with my 33.3kbs modem on a Windows 3.1, MS-DOS based system. The X-Files fan forums were the best for some truly classic trolling - those clocks, oh god those damn clocks! All it would take was one person to keep pushing the point about some hidden meaning behind the time on the clock in any one scene, and before you knew it there'd be a 20+ page flamewar erupting all over the place. :laugh:

online medical schools are the wave of the future.

OP video is talking about "people who are anonymously mean on the internet."

I agree with the above folks who mention that real trolling is more about posting a baiting opinion and less about hurting others.