Internship ( already work for chain)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already work as a part-time pharmacy technician at rite aid. I'm a p1 and classes start next week. I contacted a rite aid intern recruiter and she said "usually" my current PDM is responsible for initiating the transfer process for me working closer to where I'll be attending school. My pharmacy manager sent the PDM 2 emails concerning the subject 2 months ago with no response, and I sent him an email earlier this week and have yet to see a response....apparently the PDM isn't good at getting back to people.

Should I just personally go to a rite aid down by my school (only 1 store is 15 minutes away from school, the rest are at least a 45 min drive away) and see if they have any positions?

And how do intern licenses work for nc? Don't I have to get a job as an intern before I register with the state bop and get my intern license?

I want to go into hospital pharmacy, so I want to be looking for a hospital pharmacy internship for next summer. But at the moment I'll take anything for more experience and a little bit of extra money.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried calling your PDM or their office assistant?

It certainly doesn't hurt to talk to stores you want to work at to speed along the transfer process. Go in person and put a face on your name.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the DM in charge of your current store also in charge of the store you want to transfer to? If not, call that DM directly.

I don't know about NC... but in FL we don't get our intern license until a couple months after actual matriculation. And in a lot of chains (again I don't know much about rite aid) the Intern program is handled at the district level, and not at the store level. So if you are looking to transfer into a specific store, they have to have tech hours for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My former pharmacy manager (he moved away in June) said that rite aid interns get paid from a separate pot of money than technicians.

And I know that technicians at rite aid get paid by each specific store, because I've worked at 4 different stores.

Another question I have, which non of the pharmacists I know knew the answer to, is if an intern at rite aid can work at more than one store?

My former pharmacy manager (he moved away in June) said that rite aid interns get paid from a separate pot of money than technicians.

And I know that technicians at rite aid get paid by each specific store, because I've worked at 4 different stores.

Another question I have, which non of the pharmacists I know knew the answer to, is if an intern at rite aid can work at more than one store?

It sounds it works the same way as CVS. You are right that interns get their hours from a different pool than the techs. My point was that you can't draw from that until you actually have a State issued Pharmacy Intern license in your posession AND your company's HR has approved your reclassification from "Technician" to "Intern". If this has not happened yet, this new store would have to transfer you in as a tech, at least for the time being.

And again, I can't speak for NC and Rite-aid, but in FL you can float around to as many different sites as you please.