internships in Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

july

Members don't see this ad.

the mayo clinic has them. I can't think of a cooler place to do an internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the absence, guys. I'm trying to get my residency project off the ground, plus--I'm leaving for Jamaica tonight to get married. Things have been, well, hectic.

Internships in MN...probably either hospital or retail.

Hospital slots are probably taken by your classmates, through a 'friend of a friend' referral system. They also don't tend to pay a whole lot more then technicians. Hard to find many internships in hospitals, because they are so hamstrung by their FTE's. How do you budget an FTE that wants 40 hours a week in the summer, 7 hours a week the rest of the time, but needs a week off for ASHP, another for winter vacation, and wants time off for tests? This may not be you, but you get the idea. Pharmacy chiefs would rather use their FTEs for stable technicians than students. However, when I rotated through Regions in St. Paul, they seemed to have a decent number of phamacy students there. I'd give you a name to call, but they've shifted so much there in the past two years, I'm not sure who is even left. For St. Paul, also try St. Joe's, and United. It never hurts to ask.

Retail--in my mind, there are only two retail spots I'd consider: Walgreens and Target. I don't have many details about Target interns, but it seemed like a good enough org. when I rotated through there. I spent 4 years as a WAGS intern, and for the most part, they seem to be flexible enough to fit an intern at most any location. Plus, they pay pretty decent, and its a good way to get some experience. CVS doesn't have anything straightened out up here yet (fellow resident's hubby works there...avoid like plague), and Snyders always seems one toner cartridge away from bankruptcy (I know, rotated through corporate, too).

In closing, I'll assume you are a Gopher (Go Bison!). Ask your fellow classmates. They are already in the companies you want to hook up with, and will have the inside info on job postings. Let me know if you need any further help on this. The least I can do is listen. Sorry for the long, rushed post--still got plenty to do before I leave work today.

Other than that, screw you guys. I'm gonna go drink in Jamaica... :D