Minnesota pharmacist on trial for refusing to dispense plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorta suprised this case hasn't been posted here.

She had to travel 100 miles to finally be able to obtain the medication. I hope they throw the book at him (and others who refused her) - this is why we need laws to protect patients - not everybody lives in a place where there are a dozen pharmacies within a few miles, and in these rural areas are we were are much more likely to run into people like this

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Let see what will happen, you just can’t force someone.

I know there’s a precedent with the misoprostol guy in Michigan. So let’s see if it follows the same pattern. I cant find the verdict but in that particular case the pharmacist refused to fill or transfer the script. I *believe* the verdict was that he had the right to deny the fill, but was wrong in denying the transfer of the script to someone who would fill it?

Members don't see this ad :)

You actually can. When I was taking a board, it was explicitly stated that rph must disclose their religious beliefs to the employer before hire in case they aren’t planning on dispensing certain drugs. Unless they are independent pharmacy owner, they can’t really refuse rx on a religious bases.

I see cvs rph refused to fill prescription; that would be illegal..

I think it is sick that pharmacists can refuse to fill certain meds based on religious views. Especially since you would be hard pressed to find a Bible verse about Plan B, so it is all up to the judgment and interpretation of the individual. Deny fills for valid medical reasons all day. That's your job. Keep your religion out of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Direct quote from this guy: “It is similar to removing all care from a newborn child by throwing it out the backdoor into the woods,” he said in a court filing.

Yes. Taking a Plan B and throwing a live baby in the woods are the EXACT same thing. No discernible difference whatsoever. /s

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacist George Badeaux is a bible banging piece of garbage. Bibles, the Koran, and Harry Potter books have no place in medicine. No one cares about your snowflake beliefs in some non-existent being that lives in your mind.

Do your dang job.

Reactions: 5 users
Pharmacist George Badeaux is a bible banging piece of garbage. Bibles, the Koran, and Harry Potter books have no place in medicine. No one cares about your snowflake beliefs in some non-existent being that lives in your mind.

Do your dang job.
Then what if it is a moral issue. Someone doesn’t want to kill unborn? No related to religious whatsoever? If it goes against moral, what will a rph do?

Either open your own independent or take the written permission of your employer that they are okay with you doing that before hire.

You can’t not sell pan B if you work for cvs and have never told them beforehand.

Direct quote from this guy: “It is similar to removing all care from a newborn child by throwing it out the backdoor into the woods,” he said in a court filing.

Yes. Taking a Plan B and throwing a live baby in the woods are the EXACT same thing. No discernible difference whatsoever. /s
I support pharmacists rights, but this guy needs to not practice anymore

You actually can. When I was taking a board, it was explicitly stated that rph must disclose their religious beliefs to the employer before hire in case they aren’t planning on dispensing certain drugs. Unless they are independent pharmacy owner, they can’t really refuse rx on a religious bases.

I see cvs rph refused to fill prescription; that would be illegal..
the first part is going to vary drastically from state to state

That's messed up. Is it not sold over the counter in certain states? In MA you can just grab it from the aisle and pay at the front store.

That's messed up. Is it not sold over the counter in certain states? In MA you can just grab it from the aisle and pay at the front store.
I think the thread title is a little misleading because this case involves Ella, which requires a prescription (unlike Plan B)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorta suprised this case hasn't been posted here.

She had to travel 100 miles to finally be able to obtain the medication. I hope they throw the book at him (and others who refused her) - this is why we need laws to protect patients - not everybody lives in a place where there are a dozen pharmacies within a few miles, and in these rural areas are we were are much more likely to run into people like this

Surprisingly, I don't have an issue with refusing the script although I don't like it professionally. Not even just as a pharmacist practice autonomy issue, but as a business one too. MN specifically provides refusal of business as a valid reason even with moral ones. I can see this pharmacy boycotted if word got out that they dispensed emergency contraception, Greater Minnesota has that sort of community standard, and it is what it is.

I do have an issue with this situation as the state is VERY CLEAR about referral rules if refused, which he should be convicted with the appropriate criminal penalty and licensed revoked for. We even got a clarifying email from the MN Board on what the expectations were when the Supreme Court ruled due to the confusion on which laws go forward. When you agree to take the license, you agree to follow the statutes and regulations and if you do not consider it within your personal capacity to comply, then don't take it.

George could have easily beaten the issue by just saying that a pharmacy in Aitkin or Cloquet may potentially fill it. He could have just printed a couple of pharmacies and ask the patient to try her luck there, even given the weather circumstances. The law as of right now does not at all require a refusal to positively seek an alternative. I expect this now to change, and I am not going to like it because no other health care provider is held to this standard at this point, even medicine. Thank you Medicare Act 1965 for this. In fact, that was the reason why the law was not changed immediately as it would certainly be tested in court due to the religious exemptions in federal law that even the Democrats signed onto multiple times.

I can't print what my feelings are, but there are quite a number of us enraged at him for irresponsibly provoking an adverse law change when the situation was completely avoidable.

Then what if it is a moral issue. Someone doesn’t want to kill unborn? No related to religious whatsoever? If it goes against moral, what will a rph do?

It’s not killing, it’s not a moral issue. It’s some dude’s opinion. It’s the same as if you went to get a COVID vaccine and the pharmacist doesn’t like it, and doesn’t give it to you.

If he doesn’t want to do any of that, I dunno… go work at McDonald’s. Or move to Poland.

I actually think this is a pretty easy compromise. If you are in a remote, rural area, your pharmacy needs to be designated as a critical access pharmacy and you are to be expected to fill everything. If you practice in a huge city and the customer can just go somewhere else, then, fine, object. Whatever.

Honestly, this dude is a ***** to begin with. If he actually didn't want to deal with it, he shouldn't stock it or should just say he's out. He deserves to have the book thrown at him for the greatest crime of all. Being stupid.

---

All that said, is anyone else on here both anti-choice and pro-abortion? I think all fetuses should auto-aborted unless the mother can prove that she has the ability to actually care for a child. Like who the hell do women think they are? Just playing god every day like it's no big deal. You're going to just invent a human to coexist with me without my or my society's permission? Nobody ever asks why they are allowed to just create new mouths for this world to feed without the world having a say. They should.

Anti-choice. Pro-abortion.

• Hmm
Couldn't she have bought plan B then?
Hard to say, because the article obviously doesn’t provide background medical information.

Obviously, If she was past the 24 hour window, then Ella would be the preferred choice. It’s also possible (and likely) that this independent pharmacy that refuses the initial fill doesn’t carry OTC Plan B.

I’d image the CVS (that also for unknown reasons refused to fill the script) carried OTC Plan B, but we also have to keep in mind that the general public isn’t educated enough to know that that is an option as well

I actually think this is a pretty easy compromise. If you are in a remote, rural area, your pharmacy needs to be designated as a critical access pharmacy and you are to be expected to fill everything. If you practice in a huge city and the customer can just go somewhere else, then, fine, object. Whatever.

Honestly, this dude is a ***** to begin with. If he actually didn't want to deal with it, he shouldn't stock it or should just say he's out. He deserves to have the book thrown at him for the greatest crime of all. Being stupid.

---

All that said, is anyone else on here both anti-choice and pro-abortion? I think all fetuses should auto-aborted unless the mother can prove that she has the ability to actually care for a child. Like who the hell do women think they are? Just playing god every day like it's no big deal. You're going to just invent a human to coexist with me without my or my society's permission? Nobody ever asks why they are allowed to just create new mouths for this world to feed without the world having a say. They should.

Anti-choice. Pro-abortion.
To quote a pediatrician I know: you need a license to fish but literally nothing except working parts to procreate.

It’s not killing, it’s not a moral issue. It’s some dude’s opinion. It’s the same as if you went to get a COVID vaccine and the pharmacist doesn’t like it, and doesn’t give it to you.

If he doesn’t want to do any of that, I dunno… go work at McDonald’s. Or move to Poland.
Dude’s opinion? So we are entering sexist problem here eh. So women want to be equal about everything but when it comes to abortion they want men to be out?
And your comparison doesn’t make any sense at least to me. Vaccine and fetus are not the same.
If giving vaccine can kill a person, it will be a different story.

Dude’s opinion? So we are entering sexist problem here eh. So women want to be equal about everything but when it comes to abortion they want men to be out?
And your comparison doesn’t make any sense at least to me. Vaccine and fetus are not the same.
If giving vaccine can kill a person, it will be a different story.

yeah, it’s a uterus issue, nothing more. I don’t expect women to have a say about my prostate.

I don't see how this is sex discrimination. I'm a little surprised at the religious attacks here. We have a pharmacist at one location that is heavily anti abortion but is also a proud atheist. We allow them to deny abortifacients.

I don't see how this is sex discrimination. I'm a little surprised at the religious attacks here. We have a pharmacist at one location that is heavily anti abortion but is also a proud atheist. We allow them to deny abortifacients.

I think it’s because this pharmacist is a preacher (per his testimony) and pushed his fringe religious nutbagging “beliefs” down the throat of a patient.

Or should I say he shoved them up her…yeah.

Anyway, was found not guilty. Typical trash jury of his peers, oh well.

I assume the pharmacist also offered to pay child support as he denied her the Ella?

How do pharmacists not understand how "morning after" pills work? Yes....they could prevent implantation of a fertilized egg, but they also prevent the egg from being released and ever being fertilized. Morning after pills prevent abortions, pharmacists who refuse to fill them, are increasing the chances that a woman would actually have an abortion when she finds she is pregnant.

I assume the pharmacist also offered to pay child support as he denied her the Ella?

How do pharmacists not understand how "morning after" pills work? Yes....they could prevent implantation of a fertilized egg, but they also prevent the egg from being released and ever being fertilized. Morning after pills prevent abortions, pharmacists who refuse to fill them, are increasing the chances that a woman would actually have an abortion when she finds she is pregnant.
there you go, using common sense to argue with people who don't have it

• Love
I think it’s because this pharmacist is a preacher (per his testimony) and pushed his fringe religious nutbagging “beliefs” down the throat of a patient.

No, just stick with moral issue and don’t bring religion into this. people believe abortion is a serious moral issue since it’s involved in killing a human being. That is where we should discuss. If you don’t think it is a moral issue then you can dispense the drug, tools, procedures but to other, it will not be.

No, just stick with moral issue and don’t bring religion into this. people believe abortion is a serious moral issue since it’s involved in killing a human being. That is where we should discuss. If you don’t think it is a moral issue then you can dispense the drug, tools, procedures but to other, it will not be.
A fetus isn’t a human being. If the fetus can’t live outside the body (age of viability) it isn’t a human. And yes. The vast majority of anti choice people are religious zealots who push their views onto others.

There is no moral issue. People believe stupid garbage thinking like ball of cells = human being, that needs to stay outside of medicine. Leave those so-called “beliefs” at the door.

Like i said, if one believes that kind of thing, go work at McDonald’s. The adults in the room have real grown up things to do.

A fetus isn’t a human being. If the fetus can’t live outside the body (age of viability) it isn’t a human. And yes. The vast majority of anti choice people are religious zealots who push their views onto others.
There is no moral issue. People believe stupid garbage thinking like ball of cells = human being, that needs to stay outside of medicine. Leave those so-called “beliefs” at the door.

Like i said, if one believes that kind of thing, go work at McDonald’s. The adults in the room have real grown up things to do.
The judges did not think that way and that is why they let others decides on their own based on their moral or opinion. Is it ironic that you guys call this is stupid thing when many other, smarter people can’t finalize on this issue? Don’t be too cocky for something we can’t fully know. A fetus or ball of cell is making their way to become a human. For some people including me that is totally a human “being” or “ being” a human. I tried to be professional but you guys let your emotions flared up in this conversation so I will end it here. Hope you all well.

The judges did not think that way and that is why they let others decides on their own based on their moral or opinion. Is it ironic that you guys call this is stupid thing when many other, smarter people can’t finalize on this issue? Don’t be too cocky for something we can’t fully know. A fetus or ball of cell is making their way to become a human. For some people including me that is totally a human “being” or “ being” a human. I tried to be professional but you guys let your emotions flared up in this conversation so I will end it here. Hope you all well.
Bless your Heart as you try to make this country into a theocracy. Much like a group I can’t mention here without getting my message deleted.

You do need to realize you are in the small minority. Just look at the Kansas vote. A deep red state that just soundly defeated a bill banning abortion. This should make the gop mafia start to realize they can’t put this up to a vote of the people because they will lose soundly.

Last edited:
I love the idea of defeating a bull.

I do wonder if this will energize the opposition. So far it appears that it may.
Lol. Typo on my phone.

My concern about the Kansas vote is the GOP will get smart and not leave it up to the people. With all of our massively gerrymandered districts, they will make sure they get “their guy” into office and then pass laws and not leave it up to the general populace where the vast majority of this country supports abortion rights.

Lol. Typo on my phone.

My concern about the Kansas vote is the GOP will get smart and not leave it up to the people. With all of our massively gerrymandered districts, they will make sure they get “their guy” into office and then pass laws and not leave it up to the general populace where the vast majority of this country supports abortion rights.
I hope the Republicans make it the hill they die on. Voters have made it clear what they want and MAYBE people will vote accordingly for their representatives (hopelessly optimistic, I know).

rofl, the crusader just called us emotional, bahahahah.

have fun protecting balls of cells, hope your insurance covers civil litigation…but who we kidding, you’d dispense the emergency contraception, because this is the internet, and people in our profession IRL value their paychecks and don’t have the guts to tell a woman to their face that the pharmacist’s “beliefs” overrule their clinical need.

"However, the jury found the pharmacist did cause the woman emotional harm in the amount of $25,000..."

I've always wondered how one can put a price tag on emotional distraught. What's it take for a noneconomic damage of let's say $50k or $100k for a state that does not have any caps (limits) on how much a person can be awarded for pain and suffering? Perhaps a servitude pay-out in the form of monthly payments over X number of years is justifiable?

Intrigues me to wonder where exactly the line is drawn and how many times it can be moved.

I disagree. In the absence of a duty, I don’t see any particular reason to force a sale. That can be remedied by the legislature (unlikely as the MN Senate is rural dominated) or the Board. The issue I have is that he didn’t do his duty and tell the patient on possibilities. He should have been found guilty for that issue. He should have kept his mouth shut, given her the list, and tell her to have a good day in that Minnesota Nice tone reserved for being nasty.

On the jury, that’s what peers are for. Again, that part of MN is extremely conservative. It has its ups and downs and she can and should move to an area that suits her needs. If that means driving in a snowstorm to Duluth, so be it, that’s the cost of living rural.

Not every state is California, and I know you think it’s a shame, but different areas have their beliefs even if stupid and backward. I find California cities to be expensive, antipoor, and unsafe due to policies and beliefs I don’t agree with. I don’t live there for a reason.

Not every state is California, and I know you think it’s a shame, but different areas have their beliefs even if stupid and backward. I find California cities to be expensive, antipoor, and unsafe due to policies and beliefs I don’t agree with. I don’t live there for a reason.

Yeah, but you disagreeing with California and not moving here doesn’t deny a patient healthcare. It affects nobody but you.

This pharmacist just dropped his junk into her uterus and went “tsk tsk.”

Again, McDonald’s or Poland for these so-called healthcare proselytizers, I mean.. providers.