Interview at UT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RackingHorse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have interviewed at UT how were the interviews set up and what were the interviewers like? From what I have read from different posts there are different types of interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have interviewed at UT how were the interviews set up and what were the interviewers like? From what I have read from different posts there are different types of interviews?

All of the interviews at UT are in essence the same. They last approximately 20-30 minutes, and are a general discussion of why you want to be there, how you handle school and life, what your expectations of the field are, and what you plan on doing after school, among other less definite things. That being said, everyone's experiences will be a little bit different because it is meant to be very conversational. I've noticed for a lot of people the discussion may center around aspects of your personal statement and application, but this isn't always the case. I know people who got onto a random side topic and ended up talking about how much they like marathon running for the entire interview.

In general, what they are looking for includes:
-Have you thought about why you want to go to vet school, and what you will do when you get out.
-Do you like more than playing with kittens and puppies.
-Can you think critically in a way that lets you quickly and consicely respond to questions, even the one's you aren't expecting.
-Are you capable of having your own opinions.

Thats interesting. I will have to really be prepared for an interview because, talking to people is my weakness. I asked the vet I am shadowing with what to say if you were asked "What would you do if a client walked in with a dog that had just been hit by a car and they only had fifty dollars." He said that they are looking to see if you have a thought process going on. He said probably the best way to answer would be to say; Try and set up a payment plan with the client, or offer to humanely euthanize the animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked the vet I am shadowing with what to say if you were asked "What would you do if a client walked in with a dog that had just been hit by a car and they only had fifty dollars." He said that they are looking to see if you have a thought process going on. He said probably the best way to answer would be to say; Try and set up a payment plan with the client, or offer to humanely euthanize the animal.

I understand that you're trying to get feedback on potential questions but please be very careful to form your own answers and not use his answers. With those types of questions, there isn't really a "right" answer - they're trying to see if you can think on your feet. They want to get to know you, not the vet you're shadowing with so work on your own answers and become confident with them :)

Thats interesting. I will have to really be prepared for an interview because, talking to people is my weakness.

Two suggestions: Set up mock interviews like mad. And if you can, find a place that will either let you work reception or has a doctor that will let you be the person who explains everything to clients.

Between working with a Doc that was happy to have me field questions(aka. not have to answer them himself), working for a year and a half in reception land, and doing 3 mock interviews, I effectively reversed my inability to speak coherently in a vet school interview. (quite seriously, "inability to speak coherently about subjects" appeared in my interview comments my second year. ><)

Do you have to do a new interview each year or somethiing?

Yes, you have to do a new one each year you apply and are offered an interview. They don't carry over form year to year. Which is good, because some of us bomb interviews (like Katryn, my first interview wasn't good; I'm hoping this year's was better (it seemed better to me, at least)).

I mean do u have to do a new interview each year if you are admitted to a CVM.

I've always been shy regarding situations and topics I don't know much about or that scare me (like professional people I really look up to, e.g., professors/veterinarians), but when I know a subject or am prepared...let's just say I am entirely capable of speaking and expressing my opinions and standing up for what I think is right.

This shyness is a weakness I realize I have and have been trying to work on for the past year or so. I understand that this comes up in school (undergrad, grad, professional, etc..) and also in the working world with clients and I've always been the type that sort of fears it beforehand but when the chips are down, I'll suck it up and get over it.

Does anyone have this same shyness issue and what did you do to overcome it in order to kill the interview?

Check out this book: Click Here

Helped me a lot. Unlike a lot of self-help books, it helps you pinpoint what exactly YOUR problems are and take the approach that is right for YOU. It was written by therapists that have tons of experience with social anxiety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user