Interview attire questions: engagement ring and hijab style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timbernight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a woman who wears hijab and also has been engaged for more than a year. I wear a simple diamond ring on my left hand, and swap between wearing my headscarf the "classic" way that looks obviously Muslim and a style that is more like a head-wrap (showing my neck). I'm a traditional applicant applying out of college.

I have two questions:
1. Do you think it would be wise to remove the ring for the interview? I've heard that engagement rings can make a woman appear uncommitted to her career, or can distract from the woman's personal accomplishments and personality during an interview. I've also heard that it shows responsibility and commitment in character.

2. Do you think wearing my headscarf in the head-wrap style would reduce sub-conscious bias? Or am I better off wearing the scarf in the obviously-Muslim style, since it's clear that it's a religious covering?

It's hard for me to judge since I'm not sure how these items are perceived by others. I want to minimize bias so that I can have the opportunity to interview with as much attention on my potential as a medical student as possible.

I'd love to hear opinions from everyone, since I wonder what others perceive (if anything) when they see a student in hijab or an engagement ring.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Engagement rings generally go unnoticed. This certainly isn't the 1960s where having a life outside of medicine makes those question your dedication. As to the hijab, no one is going to judge you for it regardless of style. There's a lot of women that wear them in the field, it isn't like it is something that will catch people off guard. I never even thonk twice about them, unless they've got a really nice pattern/fabric, in which case I think about how awesome they look.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
No real basis for this answer, but I think you should wear your hijab the way you normally would! Just be you!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell you how much these replies made me smile. Thank you :)

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be honest, I have an objection to religious viewpoints that require women to cover themselves in ways that men do not and find them generally incompatible with free western society.

While I think you should be allowed to wear whatever you want in public, there are some Islamic coverings, such as the burka, that I would consider absolutely inappropriate to wear in a professional setting. I am not personally offended by what you describe.

So yes, I think you are kidding yourself if you think you won’t encounter any unconscious bias from this and find people who object on a philosophical basis to Islamic traditions of female covering. If removing the hijab completely is not an option for you, I would go with the option that you presented that minimizes the amount of covering.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm a woman who wears hijab and also has been engaged for more than a year. I wear a simple diamond ring on my left hand, and swap between wearing my headscarf the "classic" way that looks obviously Muslim and a style that is more like a head-wrap (showing my neck). I'm a traditional applicant applying out of college.

I have two questions:
1. Do you think it would be wise to remove the ring for the interview? I've heard that engagement rings can make a woman appear uncommitted to her career, or can distract from the woman's personal accomplishments and personality during an interview. I've also heard that it shows responsibility and commitment in character.

2. Do you think wearing my headscarf in the head-wrap style would reduce sub-conscious bias? Or am I better off wearing the scarf in the obviously-Muslim style, since it's clear that it's a religious covering?

It's hard for me to judge since I'm not sure how these items are perceived by others. I want to minimize bias so that I can have the opportunity to interview with as much attention on my potential as a medical student as possible.

I'd love to hear opinions from everyone, since I wonder what others perceive (if anything) when they see a student in hijab or an engagement ring.

Thanks!
1) You heard wrong.
2) I have had plenty of Muslim students who wore the hijab, and it didn't hurt them for Admissions. Ditto Sikhs with turbans and even a few Orthodox Jews with yarmulkes (I guess they didn't want to go to the Touros).

I suggest skipping LUCOM and Loma Linda.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
1) You heard wrong.
2) I have had plenty of Muslim students who wore the hijab, and it didn't hurt them for Admissions. Ditto Sikhs with turbans and even a few Orthodox Jews with yarmulkes (I ghuess they didn't want to go to the Touros).

I suggest skipping LUCOM and Loma Linda.

I agree with Goro. To clarify what I wrote above, while I think the odds of wearing the hijab acutally affecting the outcome of your admissions decision are very low, it certainly is not going to improve your chances. If you are ok wearing the simple hair covering only, then I would consider it. If doing it makes you feel uncomfortable, then don’t (although I wish you didn’t have to feel bad about not covering yourself).

The engagement ring is a non issue.

Wore my engagement ring. Nobody asked and I doubt anyone noticed.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the M1 class at my school, I have seen a woman wearing a hijab and man wearing a yarmulka. Not a big deal, at all.

I respectfully disagree with @atomi about communities where women cover themselves in a way that men do not. There are Muslim women who cover their heads and those who do not. Ditto for married Jewish women, Catholic nuns, and some traditional Christian groups (Amish, etc). And there are those who choose to leave those communities. I think that it speaks to our freedom as Americans to be able to choose to live as we please with regard to our religous sensibility unlike some Western countries (ahem, France) where people are told that wearing a head covering should be illegal.

Engagement ring? Non-issue in the 21st century.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users
Engagement ring most likely will not make a difference. Hijab either, but if you want to play it safe take it off for any interviews in the South or bible belt.

Engagement ring most likely will not make a difference. Hijab either, but if you want to play it safe take it off for any interviews in the South or bible belt.

I'm a minority from the South. While we certainly have problems (that, honestly, exist even outside of the South), its not so bad that you'd have to do it for a med school interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll be honest, I have an objection to religious viewpoints that require women to cover themselves in ways that men do not and find them generally incompatible with free western society.
Incompatible with western society? You realize Western society has always had head coverings on women up until 300 years ago?

All Abrahamic religions have verses that cite women to wear head coverings in one way or another. This is why when you go to Jerusalem you will see Christians, Jews, and Muslims with head coverings.

During mass at my church all the women wear veils. Do not object to women practicing their faith. If it is forced against a woman's will then object to it but don't object to it merely because a person won't blend into modern- not western- society.

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for the input, everyone! It's helpful to me to hear what others think, and I'm sure the thread will be encouraging to others who have committed to hijab or those who have different appearances. It's cool that we live in a country where we can all share these thoughts openly and comfortably, and where we can dress as we see fit.

I agree with Goro. To clarify what I wrote above, while I think the odds of wearing the hijab acutally affecting the outcome of your admissions decision are very low, it certainly is not going to improve your chances. If you are ok wearing the simple hair covering only, then I would consider it. If doing it makes you feel uncomfortable, then don’t (although I wish you didn’t have to feel bad about not covering yourself).
I appreciate your concern :) But it's not that I "feel bad" about being uncovered. I was uncovered for the majority of my life and I love my looks. I made a commitment a few years ago to privatize my physical attributes for a few reasons, including religious ones and to remind myself that my looks aren't my most valuable asset, regardless of what pop culture may lead me to think!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your perspectives and good luck on all your interviews!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

While I think you should be allowed to wear whatever you want in public, there are some Islamic coverings, such as the burka, that I would consider absolutely inappropriate to wear in a professional setting. I am not personally offended by what you describe.

So yes, I think you are kidding yourself if you think you won’t encounter any unconscious bias from this and find people who object on a philosophical basis to Islamic traditions of female covering. If removing the hijab completely is not an option for you, I would go with the option that you presented that minimizes the amount of covering.
I should have said some people will judge you, like this guy, but adcoms aren't exactly teeming with bigots

Reactions: 6 users

No one cares. Lots of married women in my class.

I disagree. First off, she said hijab not burka. Second, if you are all about freedom then you should support the women practicing their faith freely. Just like how some women freely show skin, some women freely choose to cover up.

Reactions: 7 users
Just be you! No good committee would ever judge you for being engaged or for being a Muslim. If they do, you don’t want to be there anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a minority from the South. While we certainly have problems (that, honestly, exist even outside of the South), its not so bad that you'd have to do it for a med school interview.
I'm also a minority from the South. If I were her I would have probably taken it off during my interviews to be on the safe side.

idk what you guys are talking about. I'm from TEXAS and wearing a hijab would not hurt at any Texas school that I know of. Don't see why it would differ in other areas in the South

Incompatible with western society? You realize Western society has always had head coverings on women up until 300 years ago?

All Abrahamic religions have verses that cite women to wear head coverings in one way or another. This is why when you go to Jerusalem you will see Christians, Jews, and Muslims with head coverings.

During mass at my church all the women wear veils. Do not object to women practicing their faith. If it is forced against a woman's will then object to it but don't object to it merely because a person won't blend into modern- not western- society.

To add, head coverings in general are often a regional tradition more than tied to one specific religion. This is why some Muslim communities don't even bother with them in certain parts of the world. And why other religions do in the Middle East. The Greeks from which Western Civilization was born out of veiled women.

At our school there are several females in class who wear a hijab, a Muslim student association, an annual optional caring for Muslim patients seminar (super informative and I take notes!!), and accommodations for female Muslim students in any clinical labs (female partners only, appropriate covering, privacy screens, etc.)

I don’t think it should be a problem at your interviews. And if it is, better to be screened out by the interview than be stuck at a school that is not Muslim friendly later.

Hi everyone,

I wore my hijab the typical way to all of my interviews. I was so nervous before the first one. But I quickly realized: you were all right! The interviews all went smoothly and no attention was paid to my scarf or my ring. I just received word back, and I’ve been accepted!!!

Thanks for all the helpful input, advice, and encouragement. To anyone out there in a similar position, have faith and be confident!

Reactions: 20 users
Hi everyone,

I wore my hijab the typical way to all of my interviews. I was so nervous before the first one. But I quickly realized: you were all right! The interviews all went smoothly and no attention was paid to my scarf or my ring. I just received word back, and I’ve been accepted!!!

Thanks for all the helpful input, advice, and encouragement. To anyone out there in a similar position, have faith and be confident!

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you!

Looking at the M1 class at my school, I have seen a woman wearing a hijab and man wearing a yarmulka. Not a big deal, at all.

I respectfully disagree with @atomi about communities where women cover themselves in a way that men do not. There are Muslim women who cover their heads and those who do not. Ditto for married Jewish women, Catholic nuns, and some traditional Christian groups (Amish, etc). And there are those who choose to leave those communities. I think that it speaks to our freedom as Americans to be able to choose to live as we please with regard to our religous sensibility unlike some Western countries (ahem, France) where people are told that wearing a head covering should be illegal.

Engagement ring? Non-issue in the 21st century.

Have you heard of Sharia Law? Funny that you cite France when many middle eastern countries have a mandatory Hijab law....

Have you heard of Sharia Law? Funny that you cite France when many middle eastern countries have a mandatory Hijab law....
Nobody is saying that those countries are justified in mandating women to wear hijab, either. Just considering the fact that France is a modernized, democratic country makes this more surprising than like Saudi Arabia, where you have a monarchy in place.

Also, this thread is about a woman feeling compelled to wear her hijab in a less traditional way, which makes the comparison to France more relevant. She is asking about bias that she may face due to someone NOT agreeing with her decision to wear a hijab

Nobody is saying that those countries are justified in mandating women to wear hijab, either. Just considering the fact that France is a modernized, democratic country makes this more surprising than like Saudi Arabia, where you have a monarchy in place.

Also, this thread is about a woman feeling compelled to wear her hijab in a less traditional way, which makes the comparison to France more relevant. She is asking about bias that she may face due to someone NOT agreeing with her decision to wear a hijab

I agree with what you are saying and I guess my comment was more targeted towards the idea that mandated face/head covering is incompatible with modern society. Just to clarify, France does not have a hijab ban, there is a ban on face-covering headgear (burqa and niqab). Very different articles of clothing. I have no issues with expressing one's religion until it infringes upon individual rights.

Side note: Would it possibly be a slight benefit to wear the traditional hijab as I have noticed some schools promote diversity and inclusivity and this could contribute to their "image". For example, Harvard was proud to announce their first undergraduate class was majority minority.

Can we stop the political discussion please? This thread has potential to be very useful for the very women you are trying to help - women who wear a hijab - who are seeking advice to further their education and get into medical school. Let's not get it closed for going off topic and wading into a potentially controversial discussion that is sure to end with trolls, personal attacks, and sweeping generalizations.
Works for me :)

How is this even a question?

Just make sure GPA and MCAT are high. No need to worry about that other stuff.

Do you seriously think some adcom member is going to be critical of your hijab? Do they even know what the "Muslim-style" wrap is?

Hi everyone,

Congrats to you! A huge accomplishment and I'm glad that you were treated fairly.

It would make sense to have hijab as an advantage actually. Most adcoms are not islamaphobic I would assume since they are educated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Many Moslems feel pretty much the same about western ideals. Feeling that women showing off their bodies is a form of imprisonment by men. No religion is "incompatible" with western values as long as they don't force these views on others.