Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you. I got these shoes for $35 there.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...tegoryid=0&fashionColor=BLACK&resultback=1909

Those are nice, but according to the pre-allo thread, I would be rejected on the basis that they are bluchers and not balmorals. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Those are nice, but according to the pre-allo thread, I would be rejected on the basis that they are bluchers and not balmorals. :D

Well I'll let you know when I get an acceptance :)

I'd imagine residency interviews would potentially be much more important...

Can't get a residency interview if you're not accepted into medical school.

So gentlemen, Allen Edmunds. That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a hint, I recently got a great suit at Macy's. It was on sale, and I opened a Macy's membership card thing and I got an additional 10% immediately and another 20% when it is billed to my card. GREAT deal.

I just got a dress shirt but it doesn't have a dress shirt. Would this be okay?

Sorry sorry I meant it doesn't have a breast pocket. Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reviving this thread because Macy's has a two day sale and I need to buy a suit. What do you guys think of these two suit? I'm leaning more towards a navy suit at this point over a charcoal one.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...yID=17788#fn=PRICE=100.0|249.99&SUIT_FIT=Slim Fit%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D37%26ruleId%3D74%26slotId%3D17

or

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...t?ID=552571&CategoryID=16499&swatchColor=Navy

I like the first one. I prefer pinstripe over plain.

I thought pinstripes was a no go though? Unless they're subtle?

Haha...why did you post it if you thought it was a no go??

Anyway, that aside, either are fine...those pinstripes are subtle enough, but I prefer the solid navy suit myself.

Looks like its just up to you!

I was trying to get a better answer because I've read mixed things about pinstripes on the various attire threads

I think the pin striping is subtle enough that it would work. Its a nice looking suit. Personally I would go with a solid color, but I'm not a big fan of pin striping in general. I think it looks bad on me so I avoid it.

Honestly as long as your suit is altered to fit you, isn't a ridiculous color/fashion, and is clean and wrinkle free, you're probably going to be fine.

I was trying to get a better answer because I've read mixed things about pinstripes on the various attire threads

Oh ok...cool. Well, I think they are both great suits. I personally like solid suits, but either will work great!

Good luck with it:thumbup:

I've been getting all my suit and dress clothes at Mens Warehouse. They have their own tailor and help you through the whole process of selecting matching shirts and ties etc. (Cause I suck at that kind of stuff). They seem to have a buy one get one free deal for everything in their store a lot of the time. I ended up getting two complete suit/tie/shirt/shoes for around 500 dollars. They were tailored and excellent quality. Just my two cents! You can also get the 10% or 20% discount (I forget which) for opening up a Men's Warehouse card just like at Macys.

I wore a gray suit with light blue shirt and yellow/blue tie to my first and only acceptance/interview.

I'm trying not to be super neurotic about what I'm going to wear, but I have to ask about these shoes. I bought these for wearing around while volunteering/working because they're super comfortable and look reasonable for that situation, but I'm curious if they'd be ok for an interview. I'm going to pick up my suit on monday and was going to look at possibly buying something a little more "dressy" if need be.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/50500-1021020/Dockers/Black/Mens+Grafton.aspx

Also, wearing a charcoal suit with white or blue shirt, conservative tie etc etc if it matters.

Also considering wearing a clown wig and maybe a water squirting flower to try and get some laughs. I want to be memorable, right?

jk, of course. about the clown wig. not the flower.

I'm trying not to be super neurotic about what I'm going to wear, but I have to ask about these shoes. I bought these for wearing around while volunteering/working because they're super comfortable and look reasonable for that situation, but I'm curious if they'd be ok for an interview. I'm going to pick up my suit on monday and was going to look at possibly buying something a little more "dressy" if need be.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/50500-1021020/Dockers/Black/Mens+Grafton.aspx

Also, wearing a charcoal suit with white or blue shirt, conservative tie etc etc if it matters.

Also considering wearing a clown wig and maybe a water squirting flower to try and get some laughs. I want to be memorable, right?

jk, of course. about the clown wig. not the flower.

Bicycle toe oxfords like this are among the most casual you can buy. On top of it they have derby/blucher style lacing. I think they are sufficient, but definitely more appropriate for blazer/casual (in fact their amazon description calls them a casual work shoe).
Similar dockers Men's cap toe oxfords only cost like $45.99 and would be a safer net, but if money is tight these will do. You can also buy lightly used good brands on ebay for like $30, (how I bought my first Cole haan pair a while ago) and have a shoe shop freshen them up for $20-$30.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Bicycle toe oxfords like this are among the most casual you can buy. On top of it they have derby/blucher style lacing. I think they are sufficient, but definitely more appropriate for blazer/casual (in fact their amazon description calls them a casual work shoe).
Similar sockets Men's cap toe oxfords only cost like $45.99 and would be a safer net, but if money is tight these will do. You can also buy lightly used good brands on ebay for like $30, (how I bought my first Cole haan pair a while ago) and have a shoe shop freshen them up for $20-$30.

Also checkout Nordstrom Rack for some shoes. I got a $200 pair of Cole Haans for $35. While Cole Haan isn't really a super awesome brand when it comes to shoes, they are very comfortable, seem to be made well, and very cost efficient.

Not sure about these but the guy at Macy's said they were good for a Med School interview and they were on sale so I got them. Thoughts?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1349143638.724513.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 60
Not sure about these but the guy at Macy's said they were good for a Med School interview and they were on sale so I got them. Thoughts?

Not my style and I personally think they're too casual. I've seen others wear shoes like that though so you don't have to worry about standing out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Not my style and I personally think they're too casual. I've seen others wear shoes like that though so you don't have to worry about standing out.

What would you consider more formal?

I dunno if this is a guy only thread but I have a question for the girls. Bag wise? I feel like you have to have one for phone and sunglasses (since you will be taking a tour and going outdoors). All my bags are too flashy but I was thinking of getting a Hamilton bag or maybe a standing up briefcase looking bag? How to be feminine yet professional?

What to wear:
Double Breasted Peak Lapel Blazer in Navy Blue
Window Pane English spread collar shirt with side vents & darts
Charcoal Grey flat front trousers
Glen Plaid socks
Wholecut plain toe balmorals
Rep Stripe Tie
Leather Band Watch (think IWC)
Bracelet of Beads
Lapel Flowers
Plain/Bordered/Glen Plaid pocket square

What to wear:
Glen Plaid socks
Rep Stripe Tie
Bracelet of Beads
Lapel Flowers

I asked people whether I should do the pocket square too but everyone says it's too formal. I don't know, I really wanted to!

What to wear:
Glen Plaid socks
Rep Stripe Tie
Bracelet of Beads
Lapel Flowers

I don't think people will get that this is a joke

I don't think people will get that this is a joke

I got the joke but it sparked a thought. I was thinking about a pocket square. Not that "bright" of a square but a white one. Eh i'll leave it at home.

I got the joke but it sparked a thought. I was thinking about a pocket square. Not that "bright" of a square but a white one. Eh i'll leave it at home.

The concensus on pre-allo is white linen pocket square with TV fold (or nothing). I personally am not familiar with pocket squares so I'm not wearing one.

I've gone to two interviews thus far and have seen zero pocket squares. However, I have seen 95% of guys wearing black or dark charcoal suits so maybe a pocket square would help set you stand out from the rest of the funeral procession...granted you better look perfect if you're going to square it up!

That's my thoughts but perhaps they are unwarranted. My interview will happen with 3-4 other students so maybe I don't need to stand out. Anyways, my girlfriend (vet med) says not to do it cause it may seem too formal. Parent's don't know a thing about going to med school interviews so prob not going to listen to them lol.

A tv fold white linen/cotton is appropriate for interviews. Silk puffs are absolutely not allowed.

(if you want to stand out, stand out by being one of the few that realize black is not an appropriate interview color)

The guy at Macy's was misinformed, these will be fine, but a men's dept employee should know the difference between conservative traditional shoes and trendy fashion statement shoes.

Shoes look fine. The jacket on the other hand, I mean you could do with a 3 button but I keep hearing how those are being phased out. 2 button jackets are the preferred and I'm not too sure about the color. I would pick something lighter but just my preference.

The color of shirt and tie depends. A lightish blue or white are pretty tried and true colors. As for tie, solid colors, diagonal stripes and small little patterned tiles are considered pretty safe as well. The actual color of the stripes / tiles depends on the shirt and suit color.

If you go to mens warehouse and tell them you're going to an interview and looking for conservative colors for your suit, shirt and tie they'll be able to help you out a lot. they'll pair shirts with the tons of ties they have and you can pick out what you like best.

Thanks, just did this.. about $1000 poorer but at least I am going to look good (hopefully)

$1000 for a suit/shirts/ties/shoes? How many of each did you get?

Sounds like you made a couple of solid choices. Basically the same two suits I own, minus the pin stripes.