Interview Do & Don't

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Lifted from my FAQs thread:

Interviews are usually one-to-one and you will have between 3-8 interviews which can include the PD, associate PD, chair, various faculty, and residents. It can be exhausting.

It should go without saying you should be polite, professional, well-groomed, and wear a suit (grey, charcoal, blue, or black) and a shirt (no patterns – white, light blue, pink), men should wear a tie (can be patterned, nothing humorous and please don't be the idiot who wears a bowtie it's not cute), and a decent pair of shoes that are comfortable. It is best to assume everyone is interviewing you – from the janitor to the chair – be pleasant and enthusiastic with everyone which you will of course be doing anyway because you are good person.

Re-review your application and be prepared to answer any questions from you app.

General questions will be:

• · Do you have any questions for me? (prepare lots: this is the most common and a good way for them to see what you are interested in, how much you already know about the program, what you might bring to the program, what you are looking for etc)
  • · What can I say to make you want to come here?
  • · Do you have any questions about living in this area?
  • · How did you hear about our program?
  • · How did you get interested in psychiatry?
  • · Why come to the US?
  • · Are there any particular fields of psychiatry you are interested in?
  • · Tell me about x research project?
  • · Tell me about x hobbies and interest?
  • · Interviewer just talks at you and doesn't let you say a word... (smile and nod)

Have a list of about 50 questions to ask and do not worry about asking the same questions again – you may get different answers! Ask residents questions like "what's call like here?", "how much does it cost to rent/buy here?", "what are the didactics like". Avoid asking about call schedule, vacation etc – wait until some resident is drunk at the dinner or someone else asks! Ask faculty "what is unique about this program?", "what is the psychotherapy training like?", "what sort of things do residents go on to do after?", "what is the ABPN exam pass rates?". Also try and use questions to highlight your strengths – e.g. "I am really interested in proteomics research. For example I recently published a paper in Nature on this. I understand Professor X is doing similar research. Will it be possible to work with him during residency?", or "I am really interested in homeless mental health. I have volunteered with homeless shelters in the past and found in rewarding. Are there opportunities to work with the homeless mentally ill? Is there a free clinic for them? If not, is it possible to set something like this up?"

You may also get asked specific questions related to your app. Some places that are more psychodynamically inclined could ask personal questions including about your childhood, family, love life, sexual orientation, whether you have ever been in psychotherapy etc. – some of this could veer on the illegal. Prepare to answer difficult questions. If you have a history of mental illness yourself do not mention this if you are asked and never say ‘I do not feel comfortable answering that'. As an IMG this is even more difficult as you may feel even more powerless to report unprofessional behavior. It is rare, usually not with malicious intent. However if you experience hostility especially racial or regarding being an IMG – run! Do not look back, and do not go there! Report it on SDN and name and shame!

Members don't see this ad :)
I look forward to meeting some of you this month and next. As a resident, the main things I want to do is give you a chance to ask more questions about what it is like being a resident at my program. I will be honest, and would even suggest what other programs might match your interests. If I do this do not take this to mean I'm saying you're not a fit for this program, it's just that everyone wants you to find the place that best fits your needs and interests.

In terms of what I'll be thinking about: more than whether you are someone who I might want to hang out with or be friends with, I will be thinking "is this person reliable?", "would I trust her with my patients?"

I'm sure it varies from program to program, but at my program each interviewer fills out an evaluation form (marks out of 10) but this is NOT just based on the interview but on the whole application including board scores, clerkship grades, LoRs, extracurriculars, and research. so the playing field is not level at interview...

I will be asking a few random questions just to mess with you too...

thanks, splik! I tried to PM you but received a warning that your inbox is beyond capacity :p

Had a pre-interview, get to know you, phone interview with a PD. After I hang up, I realize how bad I am at things like this. At one point, I actually said, "Yeah, I am pretty good at rough-housing."

Does anybody know if programs take into consideration rough-housing skills when ranking applicants?:oops:

I had a very similar experience in a phone interview last week.

PD: "Why our program"
Me: "uh... I heard you were friendly"

Are phone interviews for international students only? I've never heard of that!

Are phone interviews for international students only? I've never heard of that!
No there aren't phone interviews - some program (e.g. Duke) the PD will call before for a chat, it's not really an interview. There are some places where they do skype interviews for rural tracks (e.g. UW but I think you still need to come in for interview as well). I am not aware of any program that does phone interviews for internationals during the match.

Lifted from my FAQs thread:

Have a list of about 50 questions to ask and do not worry about asking the same questions again – you may get different answers! Ask residents questions like “what’s call like here?”, “how much does it cost to rent/buy here?”, “what are the didactics like”. Avoid asking about call schedule, vacation etc – wait until some resident is drunk at the dinner or someone else asks! Ask faculty “what is unique about this program?”, “what is the psychotherapy training like?”, “what sort of things do residents go on to do after?”, “what is the ABPN exam pass rates?”. Also try and use questions to highlight your strengths – e.g. “I am really interested in proteomics research. For example I recently published a paper in Nature on this. I understand Professor X is doing similar research. Will it be possible to work with him during residency?”, or “I am really interested in homeless mental health. I have volunteered with homeless shelters in the past and found in rewarding. Are there opportunities to work with the homeless mentally ill? Is there a free clinic for them? If not, is it possible to set something like this up?”
50 questions?????? Geez. I was actually going to ask what an appropriate amount of questions should be. I've heard people say from about 8-12, but 50? Seems like a lot.

50 questions?????? Geez. I was actually going to ask what an appropriate amount of questions should be. I've heard people say from about 8-12, but 50? Seems like a lot.

I suspect "50" was a joke, but either way 8 - 12 sounds perfect in my opinion. I think I had about 3 or 4 and in retrospect feel that was too few.

My advice is to do a bit of research before you go.

- Read about the program on their website. Most program website will tell you a TON of info. Study up on the aspects you're interested in and talk about them at your interview.

- Read up on the town or city you're going to. Check it out on google maps. Try to spend some time "living like a local" while you're there. If in NYC, take the subway and hang out in places besides Times Square. If in a small town, rent a car and check it out. Most importantly, don't interview at a program in a small town of < 100,000 then ask for directions to the nearest subway station. Fail. True story. I used www.city-data.com which has TONS of demographics and data on every city and town ever. From population to air quality, they have EVERYTHING.

- Ask why your interviewer came to that program/town/city/whatever, or what keeps them there. I had one interviewer at SUNY-Upstate answer that with, "Well, I guess I stay because I feel kind of trapped here." Sigh. Thanks for the honesty though.

- Relax and be yourself. Unless you suck. Then be someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I've heard to not ask (let the other applicants ask or just find out on their website) is call schedule. Apparently, some people can take asking about call as an indirect way of saying: "So how hard do I have to work if I get in here?" which can be bad. Any thoughts on that at all?

Otherwise, great advice everyone! Another thing I would say is to make sure you have pens and a nice looking folder to keep all your papers in. I've also heard of stories where applicant had to scramble around to borrow a pen and apparently that did not look good. So make sure the little things like that won't trip you up.

Thoughts on what to say about your past year (if you were technically supposed to be in the match last year)? I needed time to figure things out, "find myself" etc. which isn't research, curing cancer or anything else that would look good on a resume. But I needed the time because I was going through a lot of personal stuff. I've heard that programs will judge you when you tell the truth, even if thats what they say they want. I'm not comfortable lying and making something up (which is what a couple of people told me to do), and I'd much rather talk about how my past issues have helped put things in perspective and brought me to a place where I'm more ready for residency than I've ever been. Is it naive to think that that's the way to go?

One thing I've heard to not ask (let the other applicants ask or just find out on their website) is call schedule. Apparently, some people can take asking about call as an indirect way of saying: "So how hard do I have to work if I get in here?" which can be bad. Any thoughts on that at all?

I got similar advice from a resident at my school's program, a particularly hard working, call heavy one. I think they are sensitive to applicants asking about it because they know it scares people away and have had problems with lazy residents. However, I think how asking reflects on you probably depends on how you go about it. A program's call schedule is just another piece of information I want to know about a program, and I am going to ask about it, especially if information about it isn't on the website. Isn't one of the points of the interview to have your questions answered?

Ok im feeling overwhelmed already!!!

I have the phone call interview this week and I had not even thought about what I am going to be asked.

How do you guys answer "how did you hear about this program?" I suppose saying Freida and student doc is completely out of the question! Should I say that my dean suggested it or something more sensitive like that?

Also, how do you answer the psychotherapy or mental illness question? Deny deny deny?

Something else that I am concerned about is my personal life. I am in a relationship with another medical student who is also applying for the match but it is a fairly recent relationship and we decided NOT to couples match (everyone asks this!) although we are applying to the same places geographically. How can I explain this if it comes up (or try to not talk about it!) without making it look like I have an unstable personal situation at the moment? I would rather not talk about it to be honest it is already stressful as it is.

I think maybe you guys are all overthinking things. I get that interviewing is pretty stressful, but the thing to remember is that psychiatry remains a relatively non-competitive field where your bigger task is finding the right program for you rather than just getting into a program (at least if you're a US grad, and I guess I'm directing my advice at you guys anyway I'm a non-IMG at a program with no IMGs). So if the call schedule is important to you, ask about it. If you've got a partner somewhere in the mix, it's OK to share or not, whatever feels comfortable in the situation. If you follow the big basics -- you know, be nice to everyone, dress appropriately, arrive on time -- you can be OK to ask whatever question seems relevant to you. Now regarding mental illness history, no one should ask you about that. They just shouldn't. If they do, maybe you don't want to be there anyway.

Now regarding mental illness history, no one should ask you about that. They just shouldn't. If they do, maybe you don't want to be there anyway.

I've actually been wondering about the questions they shouldn't be asking. Is there some sort of official resource that lists what kinds of things are off limits?

I sort of know they aren't supposed to ask about medical history- including psychiatric- and also if you're planning on getting pregnant. What other stuff is not supposed to be brought up?

Also, in a related vein- I've been trying to come up with some respectful responses if I get a question I don't feel comfortable answering. Not that I'm expecting a lot of prying inappropriate interviews, but I just want to have something prepared if that sort of thing comes up.

Otherwise, great advice everyone! Another thing I would say is to make sure you have pens and a nice looking folder to keep all your papers in. I've also heard of stories where applicant had to scramble around to borrow a pen and apparently that did not look good. So make sure the little things like that won't trip you up.

- Call schedule is typically asked about at dinner the night before. If you couldn't make it, try and get notes from someone else.

- My favorite way to lead into this was: "So what is a typical day like on service." "What about a typical call day? What's that like?" "What about off service?" Etc. Call was asked about at dinner at every single dinner I went to and was a prime topic of conversation amongst everyone. If they're holding it against you, you don't want to go there. But I'd be careful about asking about it during you day interviews...not strictly off limits, but feel it out.

- Bring one pen. A folder is optional as every place I went gave me one with tons of papers in it, and I just wrote on the backs of those. A couple places gave out nice folios like you're talking about. I brought mine to the first couple, then gave up to save room in my bag.

I got similar advice from a resident at my school's program, a particularly hard working, call heavy one. I think they are sensitive to applicants asking about it because they know it scares people away and have had problems with lazy residents. However, I think how asking reflects on you probably depends on how you go about it. A program's call schedule is just another piece of information I want to know about a program, and I am going to ask about it, especially if information about it isn't on the website. Isn't one of the points of the interview to have your questions answered?

It is indeed one point. I would say the key point. I think much of this is about what you're looking for...

- Are you asking because you're truly trying to discover the complex intricacies of the call schedule, which I'll tell you right now is A) subject to change at any moment, and B) the same at ALMOST every program (1 month night float, occasional short call until 9-10pm)?

Or are you REALLY asking to determine how open a program is to discussing resident lifestyle? Are they upfront about it and comfortable with the idea? Or will they blacklist you as a lazy loser for even broaching the subject? I would argue that if a program is going to blacklist you for asking about call, that you MUST ask about call, simply to avoid those few programs that may behave in that way. Those aren't places you want to wind up.

- Think of your interview as being like interviewing an anti-social patient. They can be quite charming at times, but some of what they're saying could be lies, so it's up to you to pick apart which is which.

Thanks man, that really helped me relax, haha

- Glad to be of service :laugh:

Ok im feeling overwhelmed already!!!

I have the phone call interview this week and I had not even thought about what I am going to be asked.

How do you guys answer "how did you hear about this program?" I suppose saying Freida and student doc is completely out of the question! Should I say that my dean suggested it or something more sensitive like that?

Also, how do you answer the psychotherapy or mental illness question? Deny deny deny?

Something else that I am concerned about is my personal life. I am in a relationship with another medical student who is also applying for the match but it is a fairly recent relationship and we decided NOT to couples match (everyone asks this!) although we are applying to the same places geographically. How can I explain this if it comes up (or try to not talk about it!) without making it look like I have an unstable personal situation at the moment? I would rather not talk about it to be honest it is already stressful as it is.

- I always, always, always told the truth. If I heard about a program from a mentor, I said so. If I heard about it from SDN or Scutwork, I said so. I actually had to explain what these websites were at a few interviews. Old people don't use Teh Interwebs very much. Sigh.

- Most often, I explained that their program had the combination of things I was looking for. My own criteria were:

1. Must have a child fellowship.
2. Small-town to medium sized city. No large cities. Biggest was Indy for me.
3. <weak criteria> Prefer reasonable weather. This could be overruled by an awesome program or city. I still went to Milwaukee, because I'd heard such great things about the program.
4. Should be a friendly place with a relatively resident friendly environment. I avoided anywhere with a hint of scuzziness either on SDN or Scutwork.
5. Should have jobs for my wife
6. Should have good schools for my kid
7. Prefered South East > Midwest > North-ish.
8. Low Crime Rate, especially violent crime.
9. Prefer a good housing market.
10. Preferred a larger program (6+ residents per year), with a healthy mix of MD's/DO's/FMG's. An overwhelming amount of any was a red flag. All MD's meant they probably wouldn't take DO's, and if they did would probably have an issue with it. All FMG's tends to mean that it's a lower quality program, although some of these make great backups, and some FMG heavy programs (ECU, Roanoke) are sturdy backup choices. All DO's doesn't exist, except in the AOA residencies, which are in such terrible places for psych that you shouldn't do those without a very special reason.

And that was about it. The rest was: Do I like these people and do I like this place?

*** Asking about mental illness should be off limits and was never done at any place I interviewed at. Some things will likely be apparent from your interview. For example, I'd try to avoid rolling into every interview going, "This is the BEST program EVER. That last place I went was the WORST place I've EVER been to and I can't imagine why anyone would go there!" Splitting = Borderline = Off The List.

I've actually been wondering about the questions they shouldn't be asking. Is there some sort of official resource that lists what kinds of things are off limits?

I sort of know they aren't supposed to ask about medical history- including psychiatric- and also if you're planning on getting pregnant. What other stuff is not supposed to be brought up?

Also, in a related vein- I've been trying to come up with some respectful responses if I get a question I don't feel comfortable answering. Not that I'm expecting a lot of prying inappropriate interviews, but I just want to have something prepared if that sort of thing comes up.

There probably is. They aren't supposed to ask about personal things, for example, like "Are you married?" I never had a problem with it, as long as it wasn't weird. One program was very much a therapy session with the PD which was odd and uncomfortable. "Tell me about a time in your life when you have failed." Um, no. Too personal.

Anyways, you guys will be fine. Don't over think it. Psych interview are, for the most part, very laid back and they're just trying to get to know you and see if you truly have a passion for psychiatry. Be awesome (i.e. yourselves) and you'll be fine!

-....- Think of your interview as being like interviewing an anti-social patient. They can be quite charming at times, but some of what they're saying could be lies, so it's up to you to pick apart which is which.

That can be said of both sides of the interview, you know. ;)

-....-
5. Should have jobs for my wife
6. Should have good schools for my kid
And when you're good enough to bring this up, it gets us around that awkward "It's illegal for me to ask if you have a family, so if you DID have a family this is a nice place to raise them" stage of the interview.

-....-
And that was about it. The rest was: Do I like these people and do I like this place?

*** Asking about mental illness should be off limits and was never done at any place I interviewed at. Some things will likely be apparent from your interview. For example, I'd try to avoid rolling into every interview going, "This is the BEST program EVER. That last place I went was the WORST place I've EVER been to and I can't imagine why anyone would go there!" Splitting = Borderline = Off The List.

Agreed--asking about any health issue is off limits. Asking about time off from your education, gaps in your record, etc. is not. So if you have such, be prepared to answer honestly and tell us what you learned from that time.

But believe me, programs are just as worried about you liking us as you are about us liking you.

Last edited:
I have only two don'ts:

1. Don't show up in this:

120505Derby-TE0062-450x293.jpg

Or this:

tvw_cousin_vinny--300x300.jpg

And:

2. Don't mention to interviewers or residents that the reason you are interested in the program is because the state it is located in has no income tax.

In terms of inappropriate or uncomfortable questions:

You will be much better at dealing with these questions if you go in expecting to be asked questions that might make you feel a bit uncomfortable. Quite frankly, you are going to be asked questions that make you uncomfortable on a regular basis on clinical practice as patients often overstep the mark. What you need to do is be able to discern "is this question being asked because they want to help me?" "does this person have no insight into just how inappropriate this question is?", "is this question being asked because this person is not very nice?"

For example you may be asked "where else are you applying?" Many people feel uncomfortable answering this, but you need to infer - why am I being asked this? When I was asked this it was more because the PD wanted to tell me how great many of these other programs were and also make comparisons between pros and cons of different ones. That was very helpful to me, and also told me a lot about this PD and how much he wanted to help applicants find the best program for them even if it wasn't his program.

At another interview, I was asked some questions that my friends all thought were completely inappropriate - and they were actually extremely personal questions. I really do not like answering personal questions and would have been completely thrown off, but because I went in expecting to be asked these questions, I was able to maintain my composure and answer some really challenging questions. Here the PD was trying to understand how much awareness I had about myself, and how this might play out in the context of erotic transference.

In another interview, I was asked about personal experience of psychoanalysis or prior training (specifically analysis, not therapy) by an analyst. He was clearly just trying to see how much interest I had in analytic therapy and we had an interesting conversation about the development of object relations theory, and a weird conversation about the psychoanalytic theory of schizophrenia.

In short, It was actually rare for personal questions to be asked. Do not volunteer more information than you need to, do not mistake an interview for a therapy session (unfortunately some interviewers may), go with the flow. Ask yourself, "why might this person be asking me this?" and wouldn't it just be better if I answered this question?

There are some questions, e.g. about personal hx of mental illness I just wouldn't answer regardless of what the answer is. As a psychiatry, you need to become a master of deflection. You need to think on your feet, and deflect uncomfortable questions: e.g. "I'm interested in why you are asking me this. Do you think there are many residents in your program with a mental illness?" "Hmm...I think a lot of people think psychiatrists tend to have their own mental illnesses, but is there really a difference in the level of psychopathology between psychiatrists and other physicians? I would be interested in knowing more about this and why his might be if you know?", "You know, I have been reflecting on my motivations for going into medicine, and I wonder how much the myth of the wounded healer has some basis, even if we don't all have a diagnosable mental illness..[and begins the meandering conversation of the dynamic motivations of the physician]" etc.

Seriously, for the most part you will get few uncomfortable/illegal questions, and most of the time I think the person doesn't have malicious intent and doesn't know that what they are asking is "illegal". I will probably ask some uncomfortable non-illegal questions to cut out the overly-neurotic applicants however and see how you handle such questions...

In terms of inappropriate or uncomfortable questions:
Quite frankly, you are going to be asked questions that make you uncomfortable on a regular basis on clinical practice as patients often overstep the mark. What you need to do is be able to discern "is this question being asked because they want to help me?" "does this person have no insight into just how inappropriate this question is?", "is this question being asked because this person is not very nice?"

Seriously, for the most part you will get few uncomfortable/illegal questions, and most of the time I think the person doesn't have malicious intent and doesn't know that what they are asking is "illegal". I will probably ask some uncomfortable non-illegal questions to cut out the overly-neurotic applicants however and see how you handle such questions...

It is the job of the interviewer to be aware of what questions are illegal and could result in a lawsuit. Interviewers are not patients and do not have the luxury of saying whatever pops into their mind. Nor is a job or residency interview ever a proxy for an interview with a patient.

It isn't the job of interviewees to "prepare" for those occasions where they are asked a question that violates federal law by an interviewer whose colleagues just say "wink, wink, we know he's kind of inappropriate, but we give him a pass anyway." Sorry, but if something's illegal, that means it's illegal.

I'm not saying that people don't often want to be helpful and ask about things that might border on personal so as to give the applicant a leg up in the process. But that's different.

And if you are giving interviewees psychoanalytic interviews then by god I'm sure plenty of those interviewees will be glad not to match in your program! You can't tell who's "overly-neurotic" just based on some questions asked on interview day. This is the kind of thing that gives psychiatry a bad name.

Here the PD was trying to understand how much awareness I had about myself, and how this might play out in the context of erotic transference.

What a bizarre thing to want to know about an interviewee, when there are so many other things that are going to be way more important in residency. Honestly there are some psychiatrists who are so fixated on topic of erotic transference that it clearly says more about them than it does about anyone else, patient or interviewee.

It is
It isn't the job of interviewees to "prepare" for those occasions where they are asked a question that violates federal law by an interviewer whose colleagues just say "wink, wink, we know he's kind of inappropriate, but we give him a pass anyway." Sorry, but if something's illegal, that means it's illegal.

thanks for the contrasting view nancysinatra.

Is there an official ACGME resource that lists illegal questions/ topics, or are the standards the same as any other job interview?

tIs there an official ACGME resource that lists illegal questions/ topics, or are the standards the same as any other job interview?

Ha! I highly doubt the ACGME cares in the slightest. By illegal I'm just referring to interviewers probing into issues that are protected by law. Like, I don't think you can fire someone or, alternatively, not hire them because they have a disability that will be inconvenient for you to accommodate, such as by putting in an elevator.

In terms of residency applications I imagine pregnancy is the big one. And maybe a history of mental or physical illness. State medical boards can ask you some of these things, but only insofar as they constitute possible impairment.

Places to start I suppose might be the Americans with Disabilities Act or something like that. Or some family leave resources. I don't know the specifics of what's kosher or not, but I do know that Congress has passed SOME laws protecting the American employee.

I'm in no way saying you won't get ASKED those questions. I'm just saying that they put the interviewer at risk of being sued.

And if you are giving interviewees psychoanalytic interviews then by god I'm sure plenty of those interviewees will be glad not to match in your program! You can't tell who's "overly-neurotic" just based on some questions asked on interview day. This is the kind of thing that gives psychiatry a bad name.

I am not going to be psychoanalyzing anyone! I certainly will not be asking invasive personal questions either. we like our alphabetized therapies here...interviewees will be asked to bring along a thought record with their cognitive distortions about interviewing and counterthoughts ;)

I am sure the interviewers should know what they are and are not allowed to ask but I have yet to see a "do not ask these questions" list floating around and considering many people who interview are peripheral or volunteer faculty they may not necessarily know. One of the interviewers I had was so old all the psychiatrists he asked me if I knew at my med school were dead! He was long retired and probably didn't care what he asked.

As I said above, if people find themselves asked something they don't want to answer then they should not answer. but they should also bear in mind that someone asking what other programs you are applying for, about relationships status or children, may actually be asking because they want to sell various aspects of the program or location, rather than use that to ding the candidate.

As I also said above, programs asking illegal/inappropriate questions should be named and shamed.

I will tell you the program where I was asked questions which shocked my friends re: sex life etc was Cambridge Health Alliance, they also asked if I had any personal experience of psychoanalysis. They are well known for asking personal questions, and they are obviously looking for people who are self-reflective (i think they said almost all their residents were having personal long term therapy). It also tells you nothing is really private there, so if that's not your thing don't go there etc...it's not really my thing, they do have great benefits though...

pointless aside:

- Are you asking because you're truly trying to discover the complex intricacies of the call schedule, which I'll tell you right now is A) subject to change at any moment, and B) the same at ALMOST every program (1 month night float, occasional short call until 9-10pm)?
Wait, what? That is standard? I don't remember what call was like at all my interviews, but I didn't think that this was what I saw almost everywhere.

More on topic:

Just have a normal conversation like you hopefully do every day and the interview will go fine. The more natural you come off, the better the interview will go, and you can't come off naturally unless you really are just being yourself and answering questions as you answer questions.

It is the job of the interviewer to be aware of what questions are illegal and could result in a lawsuit. Interviewers are not patients and do not have the luxury of saying whatever pops into their mind. Nor is a job or residency interview ever a proxy for an interview with a patient.

I'm not saying that people don't often want to be helpful and ask about things that might border on personal so as to give the applicant a leg up in the process. But that's different.

Makes me think of this question...

pointless aside:

Wait, what? That is standard? I don't remember what call was like at all my interviews, but I didn't think that this was what I saw almost everywhere.

From what I remember, at least. What did you see? I went to 15 places, and that was the setup at *most* of them. Exceptions:

MUSC does 2 months of night float 1st year and another 2 months 2nd year. All 4 of those months suck from what I hear. But it makes all your other months rock.

Wake Forest cheats and basically does 24h calls but with a 8-10h break in the middle of the day.

UVA does ~10 days (2 sets of ~5 nights) of night float during each psych consult block, which happens ~3-4 times per year.

Sure there were some other exceptions, but most places had a night float month + short call for interns.

And keep one important thing in mind about the illegal questions thing: it's not illegal for interviewers to ask you questions about medical history, family status and sexual orientation. It is only illegal for them to raise the subject.

The point is, if you bring up having chronic fatigue syndrome but don't feel it will interact with your abilities as a resident, they can ask follow up questions.

I will tell you the program where I was asked questions which shocked my friends re: sex life etc was Cambridge Health Alliance, they also asked if I had any personal experience of psychoanalysis. They are well known for asking personal questions, and they are obviously looking for people who are self-reflective (i think they said almost all their residents were having personal long term therapy). It also tells you nothing is really private there, so if that's not your thing don't go there etc...it's not really my thing, they do have great benefits though...

I got psychoanalyzed a bit there too. Though it seemed like a really nice program.

That's funny about interviewing with someone so old that everyone he knew from your school was dead. Actually I really like old geezer psychiatrists, and geezer doctors in general. They have some good stories. Some of them give out some weird meds, though.

This is more post-interview but anyway, I know thank you letters/notes are highly recommended and so a couple of questions:

Is it bad to send out thank you letters/notes a bit later after the interview? (say 2 weeks post) I think programs would understand since MS4s can be quite busy at times.

A friend swears that you should NEVER type a thank you letter because it looks too mass-produced/generic. But others have said if you include personalized info in a type-written letter, it's better than a short, sloppily handwritten note if you have bad hand writing. So type-written or hand-written?

This is more post-interview but anyway, I know thank you letters/notes are highly recommended and so a couple of questions:

Is it bad to send out thank you letters/notes a bit later after the interview? (say 2 weeks post) I think programs would understand since MS4s can be quite busy at times.

A friend swears that you should NEVER type a thank you letter because it looks too mass-produced/generic. But others have said if you include personalized info in a type-written letter, it's better than a short, sloppily handwritten note if you have bad hand writing. So type-written or hand-written?

Hand written. If you have bad handwriting, take the time to write a legible thank you note.

I've read varying opinions on whether thank you notes are necessary, and I'm guessing it's specialty specific. Psychiatry seems like a specialty that would appreciate gestures like this a bit more than say... well, I was going to say ortho, but I bash on them too much.
I've always been in the habit of sending thank you notes, but I can see it becoming very difficult to send an original hand-written note to every PC, PD, interviewer at multiple programs... Any other advice on this front?

Last year my thinking was sending out hand-written thank you cards to programs I really liked, and emails to everyone else. Early on in the season I discovered a sincere email seemed to work better because some PDs would respond back (and not a generic email). I actually had several emails with the PD at the program I matched at for what it's worth.

I have no idea what other PDs thought of my handwritten notes.

I was going to opt for the handwritten note, as I thought it was just plain classier, but was told by more than one PD that email is actually preferred. For one thing, it allows them a quick and polite response, if they are so inclined. For another, it's very easy for a PD to open up a thank you email, read it and delete it; it's apparently more of a pain to have something in your mailbox you need to rip open read, and toss in the garbage.

I got asked " why did you do DO? did you not get in anywhere else?" that made for an awkward conversation

how many days can I take off of a place I really like during an audition rotation. Is 4 days too many if I offer to work every weekend?