Interview Do & Don't

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this a four-week rotation, kassy?

Members don't see this ad.

yup, it is. but its somewhere I haven't even gotten an interview invite from.

I have that EXACT same question. I started my rotation this week but haven't been offered an interview here (yet, I hope).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're doing an audition rotation, the team will be expecting to see you at your best. If you're working less than 5 days per week, that's like saying "If I match at your program, I'll probably take a lot of days off."

If you're doing an audition rotation, the team will be expecting to see you at your best. If you're working less than 5 days per week, that's like saying "If I match at your program, I'll probably take a lot of days off."
I don't know if it says all that, but too much time off for interview DOES leave a bad impression.

The idea of an audition rotation is that you're at a location you're really like to match at. Taking a couple of days off for an interview is okay, but doing it more than once might not be the wisest idea. If this is a program you'd love to stay at, I'd schedule around it.

I've said this a few times now, but it depends on the program you're auditioning at. If you're at a place that's more narcissistic, you probably want to give them your undivided attention. If you're at a place that's well known for being chill, you could ask for a day or two off and see what they say.

I did a Monday interview at a place near a place I was working. They were 100% fine with it. Most reasonable PD's will understand that if you're interviewing at a local place and going while you're rotating near there will save you $1000 on flights, the you should go.

I would actually use this as a litmus test for the program. Go to the interview. If they hold it against you, you probably didn't want to match there anyway....

Lifted from my FAQs thread:

It should go without saying you should be polite, professional, well-groomed, and wear a suit (grey, charcoal, blue, or black) and a shirt (no patterns – white, light blue, pink), men should wear a tie (can be patterned, nothing humorous and please don’t be the idiot who wears a bowtie it’s not cute), r any questions from you app.

whats wrong with the bowtie??

Had a pre-interview, get to know you, phone interview with a PD. After I hang up, I realize how bad I am at things like this. At one point, I actually said, "Yeah, I am pretty good at rough-housing."

Does anybody know if programs take into consideration rough-housing skills when ranking applicants?:oops:

haha that's good :laugh: they should, especially if there are many male residents and attendings, it's how we bond

Members don't see this ad :)
However, only a very special sort of person can handle the Rhett 'stache.

I hate to rain on Bowtie's parade, but I think we can safely assume the following...

how-i-think-i-look-like.jpg

So any more thoughts on how honest to be if you're asked about why you want to go into psychiatry and one of the reasons are that you went through a **** period in your life and came to realize how important it can be to a person's well being? I've been avoiding mentioning my rough patch last year in my interviews thus far, but it feels strange not being completely honest.

So any more thoughts on how honest to be if you're asked about why you want to go into psychiatry and one of the reasons are that you went through a **** period in your life and came to realize how important it can be to a person's well being? I've been avoiding mentioning my rough patch last year in my interviews thus far, but it feels strange not being completely honest.

As you know, this type of disclosure is a gamble. It can be seen as a positive if your interviewer realizes (as seems to be your case) that the experience left you feeling that you have found your "calling" and that this motivation will lead to passion for your work, dedication to excelling in learning and patient care, and consistent high quality work with a good attitude. It can backfire if the story causes your interviewer to wonder if you will buckle under pressure and create more difficulties with work etc.

For medical school I think interviews are a lot about what, in the abstract, makes the student a good future doctor and likely to succeed / reflect well on the school. In residency your interviewers may approach it with the thought in the back (or front) of their minds that they will be working with you likely for a period of years. If you don't show up for shifts, they may have to take over for you. If you take a leave your work gets redistributed. If you are distracted and produce a low quality H&P in the emergency room, the admitting resident on the floor has significantly more work cut out for her. For better or worse there is likely some selfishness to the mindset of the interviewer; they care about abstract motivations but at least as much about concrete results.

All that is to say if your story involves you failing to complete your work duties, missing time at work, or having major interpersonal conflicts at your place of employment (even if this was all resolved through treatment) I would avoid emphasizing it. I have to wonder if it would raise flags for the interviewer. I could be way off base on all of this, but it makes sense to me.

I would avoid it. Dig deep and find other true reasons you're doing this. Leave that one behind where it belongs.

I am not sure how going through a "**** time" as you say makes ones more likely to pursue psychiatry. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with the practice of psychiatry, and psychiatrists have no special knowledge or training in dealing with a "**** time" whatever that maybe.

I am not sure how going through a "**** time" as you say makes ones more likely to pursue psychiatry. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with the practice of psychiatry, and psychiatrists have no special knowledge or training in dealing with a "**** time" whatever that maybe.

I don't know that that's true. We certainly have more training in coping skills, types of therapy, and introspection. Sometimes the best way to improve a skill is to teach it. Nothing made me a better guitar player than teaching it, and therapy is kind of like teaching the patient these new skills.

More importantly, we know where to go for help. It's like a cardiologist knowing who and where to go for the best heart bypass.

I think the definition of a "s*it time" would be, in psych terms, "multiple psychosocial stressors". Everyone goes through times like this, and if your low point taught you the importance of Mental Hygiene and Introspection then so be it.

Another negative about pointing out this story is that it suggests that you didn't really understand the value of psychiatry before your rough patch. And I don't think it adds much to your profile if you mention this.

If I am interviewing at a program in a particular area and they ask "Why do you want to come here?" Can I mention personal ties to the area such as girlfriends, wives, parents, etc?

Also, my surgery friends have been telling their programs on interviews that their fiancee is in the area, though their relationship status is really girlfriend. I know it sounds petty, but do programs look upon people married people or people who are about to be married as more serious candidates? Is it common to lie about these things? I feel that psychiatrists are the last people anyone would want to lie to haha.

Can I mention personal ties to the area such as girlfriends, wives, parents, etc?

Man, girlfriends AND wives. That might fly in ortho but I think it might be a red flag for some :laugh:

But I have been trying to avoid the terms "boyfriend/girlfriend" because I worry they might seem less mature or serious. I usually say "partner" or "significant other" but I think it might be all semantics in the end.

yeah i would not make up some polygamous network to tie you to a program. at any rate, if you get asked why you are interested in the program it wouldn't kill you to think about something you like about the program and not just the location. also bear in mind that for most places, it won't make a difference where you're ranked having ties to the area. sensible programs will rank based on how much they like you, not on the chances you'll want to go there.

as for the semantics, if you say "my partner" I will assume (and most people do as far as I can tell) you are referring to someone of the same sex. and then you will hear about how queer friendly the program is etc.

sensible programs will rank based on how much they like you, not on the chances you'll want to go there.

Sensible programs will take into consideration whether a person matching there will consider their matriculation at your institution evidence of their failure or evidence of their success. To ignore the prospective resident's desire to actually be at your program is to miss something very important in developing a residency full of people who are happy, and therefore more likely to be engaged and successful, learners.

Here's a don't that I got to see firsthand recently: Don't sigh loudly and look pointedly at your watch every 30 seconds when the tour drags on longer than you'd like. Especially if it's at a well-regarded program...and you're couples matching. :eek:

Last edited:
This seems like as good a response as any. Why wouldn't you want a friendly program? To me, that's the single most important thing. It means you won't be miserable. In my book that counts for a lot. I think you gave a good answer. Spontaneous and truthful. What could be better than that?

Last edited:
I disagree. Psychiatry I s all about helping people deal with going through a s$&@ time. But don't allow a conversation to start about your personal experience with s$&@iness unless you've had enough psychotherapy for that to talk about it in an insightful and mature way, otherwise you may raise a red flag for your interviewer. Unresolved s$&@ vs resolved s$&@ are two entirely different creatures. One lends motivation and maturity. The other can mean a slew of unessary drama that will be a time suck on the other residents and faculty. Take it from one who has been therapized. A good psychotherapist plus SSRIs and yoga are the key to recovery from s$&@y patches in life. The other respondent who described your experience as non relevant is probably aspiring to be a pill mill psychiatrist as opposed to a person with any therapeutic skills. I hope that person never becomes my doc because they can barely help a dog get well, let alone a human being. By invalidating you they are perpetuating their own invalidation. Not therapeutic. Yes, your experience counts. Please just be careful how you talk about it.

Last edited:
I disagree. Psychiatry I s all about helping people deal with goin through a s$&@ time. But don't fall about your personal experience with s$&@iness unless you've had enough psychotherapy for that to talk about it in an insightful and mature way, otherwise you may raise a red flag for your interviewed. Unresolved s$&@ vs resolved s$&@ are two entirely different creatures. One lends motivation and maturity. The other can mean a slew of unessary drama that will be a time suck on he other residents and faculty. Take it from one who has been therapized. A good psychotherapist plus SSRIs and yoga are the key to recovery from s$&@y patches in life.

Don't forget becoming an early-riser. And jogging.

Don't forget becoming an early-riser. And jogging.
Yes. That too. Find something that works for you and bust your blues. I hope the sucker that told you that psychiatry isn't about helping people get through a s$&@ time chooses a different specialty for the sake of his or her patients.

The other respondent who described your experience as non relevant is probably aspiring to be a pill mill psychiatrist as opposed to a person with any therapeutic skills. I hope that person never becomes my doc because they can barely help a dog get well, let alone a human being.

Yes, clearly your therapy cured you of being such an artistic splitter. Showing up out of relative obscurity and taking a piss at one of the most valuable members of a board does not make your observations quite as spiffy as you might think.

I would let Splik treat all three of my dogs, FWIW. My golden retriever-chow mix is quite the basket case, and another is an epileptic arthritic corgi-border collie mix with some serious narcissistic traits who could use some analysis. The Aussie Shepherd-Lab mix is quite well adjusted, however, even as the chow mix keep humping her. Resiliency is amazing.

As someone who does a lot of interviewing of candidates, to reinforce to the OP, don't make me think that you're going to be a pain in my PD's ass. Part of working through your conflicts is knowing not to talk about your conflicts on a job interview, where at minimum we want to know whether your presence is going to be a liability. Let your interviewers know what you bring to the table.

Plenty of psych residents have their own histories of mental illness, and I would not necessarily exclude myself from that list, but boundaries are requisite. As a psychiatry resident, you will have plenty of time for your own existential suffering. But do it on your own time.

I would let Splik treat all three of my dogs, FWIW. My golden retriever-chow mix is quite the basket case, and another is an epileptic arthritic corgi-border collie mix with some serious narcissistic traits who could use some analysis. The Aussie Shepherd-Lab mix is quite well adjusted, however, even as the chow mix keep humping her. Resiliency is amazing.

Thank you! I am honored... I would love to be an animal forensic psychiatrist if such a thing comes into being. I think that psychopathology in violent animals should be taken into account, and these animals should be placed in a high security zoo rather than inhumanely executed. I am particularly interested in the character structure of large cats, in light of attachment theory....

Reactions: 1 user
The other respondent who described your experience as non relevant is probably aspiring to be a pill mill psychiatrist as opposed to a person with any therapeutic skills. I hope that person never becomes my doc because they can barely help a dog get well, let alone a human being. By invalidating you they are perpetuating their own invalidation.

I didn't see this drivel until billy quoted it. You are of course free to disagree with me, but you have not provided anything to counter my statement that psychiatrists have nothing special to offer those who are having a **** time. cf. digitlnoize who suggested some counter points. Now of course one could be said to be going through a **** time if you were experiencing mental illness, or even a physical illness. Similarly, going through a "**** time" could conceivable precipitate and possibly be on the causal chain for the development of certain mental and physical illnesses. But **** time does not equal mental disorder, and our training does not give us any special knowledge or understanding of treating **** times whatever that may entail.

Understanding suffering is of course something all physicians should be familiar with, perhaps psychiatrists more so. But the fact remains, that psychiatrists are in no special position and have no particular training in dealing with the difficulties of the worried well (as opposed to pastoral counselors, therapists, psychologists, social workers etc). Psychiatrists are in under supply and should focus on assessing and treating those experiencing mental disorder. The question of what constitutes mental illness is of course another question.

Understanding suffering is of course something all physicians should be familiar with, perhaps psychiatrists more so. But the fact remains, that psychiatrists are in no special position and have no particular training in dealing with the difficulties of the worried well (as opposed to pastoral counselors, therapists, psychologists, social workers etc). Psychiatrists are in under supply and should focus on assessing and treating those experiencing mental disorder.
Amen to this.

Voodoo- keep in mind that at the end of the day psychiatrists are just physicians who specialize in diseases of the mind and mental illness. I sympathize for folks "having a **** time" but can leave it to the life coaches. It's just not the focus of my training and certainly not why I went into medicine or this specialty.

I didn't see this drivel until billy quoted it. You are of course free to disagree with me, but you have not provided anything to counter my statement that psychiatrists have nothing special to offer those who are having a **** time. cf. digitlnoize who suggested some counter points. Now of course one could be said to be going through a **** time if you were experiencing mental illness, or even a physical illness. Similarly, going through a "**** time" could conceivable precipitate and possibly be on the causal chain for the development of certain mental and physical illnesses. But **** time does not equal mental disorder, and our training does not give us any special knowledge or understanding of treating **** times whatever that may entail.

Understanding suffering is of course something all physicians should be familiar with, perhaps psychiatrists more so. But the fact remains, that psychiatrists are in no special position and have no particular training in dealing with the difficulties of the worried well (as opposed to pastoral counselors, therapists, psychologists, social workers etc). Psychiatrists are in under supply and should focus on assessing and treating those experiencing mental disorder. The question of what constitutes mental illness is of course another question.

Many of us who train in and practice psychodynamic psychotherapy are quite adept at helping patients with no Axis I or II diagnoses get through a **** time. I don't recall being told in my training that we have to refer such patients to pastoral counselors or psychotherapists. Usually their insurances will not pay for the help that can give them, but that doesn't stop me from offering it. If they prefer to talk to a non-psychiatrist, then I am happy to provide referrals for whoever they prefer to see (and, yes, I have referred people to pastoral counseling). I will never say: "Thanks for seeing me for your evaluation. It seems that your problem is that you are having a **** time. I'm afraid that's not my specialty."

Many of us who train in and practice psychodynamic psychotherapy are quite adept at helping patients with no Axis I or II diagnoses get through a **** time. I don't recall being told in my training that we have to refer such patients to pastoral counselors or psychotherapists. Usually their insurances will not pay for the help that can give them, but that doesn't stop me from offering it. If they prefer to talk to a non-psychiatrist, then I am happy to provide referrals for whoever they prefer to see (and, yes, I have referred people to pastoral counseling). I will never say: "Thanks for seeing me for your evaluation. It seems that your problem is that you are having a **** time. I'm afraid that's not my specialty."

Thank you! Obviously there's an ongoing divide in our field, but I'm a physician and also a person who enjoys treating the "worried well." I don't think I'm wasting my training or whatever. Glad I train at a program where my perspective on this is valued and not belittled.

This thread is 3 years old, but thought it better to ask here to keep things concise on the stickies. Pretty simple and stupid question: what do I bring to the interview? Going in empty handed feels weird but so does rolling with CVs that they already have on hand. A nice notebook? Folder? DOH!

This thread is 3 years old, but thought it better to ask here to keep things concise on the stickies. Pretty simple and stupid question: what do I bring to the interview? Going in empty handed feels weird but so does rolling with CVs that they already have on hand. A nice notebook? Folder? DOH!
Most places give you the standard Folderful of Propaganda, so you can carry that around if you like, but I'd say 90% of applicants cling to some decent-looking portfolio with spare CVs, paper reprints, etc. "Just in case". Some have a list of questions they prepped in advance, and will jot down a note somewhere. I don't judge. ;) Most go home with more paper than they came in with, however.

Women usually carry a purse that holds everything they might need, but IMO they and guys should otherwise go empty handed, except perhaps for a good pen - they give you folders and other crap you end up carrying around and can jot notes on.

Just wait - you will see people carting around all kinds of brief cases and extraneous stuff at the early interviews. By the later ones, they have left all of that stuff at home.

Better to be prepared for cold or wet weather - small umbrella, rain coat, winter coat - I saw under dressed people freezing to death at New England programs in November...

Women usually carry a purse that holds everything they might need, but IMO they and guys should otherwise go empty handed, except perhaps for a good pen - they give you folders and other crap you end up carrying around and can jot notes on.

Just wait - you will see people carting around all kinds of brief cases and extraneous stuff at the early interviews. By the later ones, they have left all of that stuff at home.

Better to be prepared for cold or wet weather - small umbrella, rain coat, winter coat - I saw under dressed people freezing to death at New England programs in November...

Yeah, don't put money into this. I don't think I ever handed out a CV on a residency interview. They've already got a ton of information about you.

Does anyone have advice for "do you have any questions for me?" I feel like 99% of questions I could ask at this point are on most programs websites. I want to come off as interested, but it's hard for me to think of questions I'd ask that I couldn't easily look up before hand other than moonlighting opportunities.

What are some common questions you guys ask??

Does anyone have advice for "do you have any questions for me?" I feel like 99% of questions I could ask at this point are on most programs websites. I want to come off as interested, but it's hard for me to think of questions I'd ask that I couldn't easily look up before hand other than moonlighting opportunities.

When are beer rounds? Do you have a couch for Freudian psychodynamic theory?

I hated this part, too, and I'm sure someone else can come up with some better solutions. My one thought is don't ask questions in a way that makes the interviewer feel defensive, which happened to me once or twice. What I mean by that is really pointed questions that seemed based on finding all the problems with a program. Not to say that you shouldn't care about the call schedule and program weaknesses (all programs have them -- what they are varies) -- it's more a matter of tone and style. Throw in some questions that will give the interviewer a chance to say something positive about the program. It's certainly legitimate to ask people what they conceptualize as the strengths of their program because it's an individual type of question that isn't answered by the website.

From going on 17 interviews and then later meeting a lot of interviewees, my favorites examples have been "what are your favorite things about the program?," "what is it that made you decide to come here?," "if you could change one thing about the program, what would it be?," etc. Also, ask about opportunities in the program regarding your specific areas of interest - aside from answering questions that are important to you, it would also show that you've had a chance to think about long-term career plans and you have things figured out.

As for specifics, I'd usually mention the things about the program that drew me to apply there, and then ask more about that. For instance, I liked WashU and Mayo because of neuroscience research (particularly neuroimaging), so I asked them about those opportunities.

Also, try to learn a little bit about the academic interests of the people who are interviewing you. For instance, if somebody is a basic science researcher, I'd ask them more about my interests in basic science. If they spend more of their academic time teaching med students, I'd ask about opportunities in that realm (since teaching is an interest of mine too). If they're a clinical subspecialist, I'd ask them to tell me about the program's strengths in that subspecialty (even if I'm not interested in that subspecialty, I'd still like to be well-trained in it).