Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ariel winter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN's Optometry School Interview Feedback

USA: New England College of Optometry

Date submitted: 04/11/2005
Date of interview: 31/10/2005
Type of Program: OD
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Positively
Stress Level: 3/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 10/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 10/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 10/10 (10 being best)

General comments about this interview:
The school was beautiful. Period. The renovations has been completed and it looks absolutely exquisite. My interview was with Dr. M; it was really laid-back and relaxed. As past posters suggested, the interview was more like a conversation than anything else. I was very impressed with how warm and professional the school staff and students were. It was also a great opportunity to meet fellow applicants (and do get to know them, as they may be your future classmates!).

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30 minutes
Location of Interview: At the Beacon Street Campus
Number of Interviewers: ( 1 )
The interviews were held: One-on-One
The interviews were: Open File

Tour info
The tour was given by a: Student
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 7/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Be yourself and just relax. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and practiced via mock interviews with friends and family.

What positively impressed you: The interview was really low-stress. The dean of admissions was there in the waiting room, getting all of the interviewees to talk to each other and relax.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: That it was going to be laid back and relaxed. I would have been able to sleep the night before.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: How cold is it in Canada?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: There were no difficult questions really. He did ask about what I knew about the research opportunities at NECO.

Specific Questions

Question 1: When did you realize you wanted to pursue Optometry?

Question 2: Why Optometry?

Question 3: Why NECO?

Members don't see this ad.

USA: Pennsylvania College of Optometry

Date submitted: 04/11/2005
Date of interview: 01/11/2005
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 6/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 8/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 7/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 6/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 8/10 (10 being best)

Once I pulled up to PCO, I realized that it was HUGE! I had visited in the summer, but just drived by. Now that I walked in, I realized it was a lot bigger than I had earlier anticipated. The school is very modern and ultra-professional. The staff is also very professional, but also very friendly - no worries there. The school is four stories high and quite contemparary. Three miles away is the impressive Eye Institute - one of the highlights of PCO.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 70 minutes
Location of Interview: At the Elkins Park Campus
The interviews were: Closed File

Tour info
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Be yourself and just relax. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and practiced via mock interviews with friends and family.

What positively impressed you: The interview was relatively stress-free. However, do know yourself and the profession of Optometry. Since it is a closed file interview, there will be a lot of questions on your character and goals. Also, the school facilities are top-notch and their equipment are absolutely state-of-the-art. You will not find a more professional Optometry school.

What negatively impressed you: The school seemed almost too big. This is a good and bad thing, I suppose. Their class sizes are at the larger end of the spectrum as well.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: That it was going to be a closed file interview.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Tell me about yourself.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What are your expectations of a profession in Optometry?

Specific Questions

Question 1: Where do you see yourself in 4 years (where would you be practicing, what kind of practice will you be involved in)?

Question 2: Why not medicine?

Question 3: Who did you talk to after you realized you wanted to pursue Optometry?

hey
thanks for sharing all that info and congrats on NECO :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! no problem! glad to help out! we're all in the same boat. everyone feel free to cut n paste my template above and share your interview experience. good luck to all! :)

kid said:
hey
thanks for sharing all that info and congrats on NECO :)

I interviewed at NECO on Nov 8th and I haven't heard from them yet :( I am so nervous. NECO is my first and basically only choice. I have 3 recommendations from Adjunct faculty members (2 optometrists and 1 ophthalmologists of NECO who I have worked closely with) and my undergrad gpa was a 2.8 major in Biology and my Masters is a 3.5 major in Gerontology. I am also 22 years of age. My OAT score was really low (under 300 - thats all I have to say), but I am planning to retake it in Jan. I have 1 year's worth of patient care experience where I performed the following duties:
- Baseline glaucoma tests (Pachymetry, OCT, Tonography, Visual Fields).
- Prepare patients for Laser procedures (ALT, ALI, SLT)
- Prepare patients for minor procedures such as removal of a cyst or papilloma.
- Pre-operation Pterygium tests (Topography, External photos).
- Pre-operation Cataract test (EBM).
- Complete Autorefract and Refract testing.
- Take measurement of ocular pressure.
- Administer drops for Day 1 post cataract surgery patients.
- Prepare patients for Cataract surgery with instructions on how to take their pre-operation medication.
- Schedule cataract, pterygium, and glaucoma filter surgery.
- Bill for all in office and surgical procedures.

I dunno, are they hestating.? Also in my undergrad I did the following:
- A Laboratory Assistant at Brigham Women’s Hospital preparing Molasses Plates and Agar Plates for Post-Doctoral Fellows and supervising over Drosophila Stocks.
- A Hospice Volunteer visiting to Hospice patients and was individually commended for my work by the Supervisors at Health Care Dimensions.
- A Peer Advisor to Freshman at Emmanuel College.
- A Connections Leader hosting Japanese women studying English as a second language in the United States.
- A Girl Scouts Leader in which I initiated and executed an after school program in Math and Science for the middle school aged girls; funded by the Girl Scouts of America.
- A tutor to inner city, middle school aged girls at an after-school program in Roxbury, MA.
- A Student Coordinator in which I supervised the other tutors in the after-school program.
- An Orientation Leader during Freshman move-in and a Resident Assistant at Emmanuel College.

I am sooo nervous. I really really want to do this. :scared:

wow! and i thought i had a lot of extracurriculars! you appear to be a very well-rounded individual... NECO will be lucky to have you! don't worry so much (though i know it is easier said than done!) when did you write your oat? i took the oct15 written one and i thought i fared ok... but now you have me nervous, hehe! be confident, i know you will get in and we will be classmates! :)

Bhartiben Patel said:
I interviewed at NECO on Nov 8th and I haven't heard from them yet :( I am so nervous. NECO is my first and basically only choice. I have 3 recommendations from Adjunct faculty members (2 optometrists and 1 ophthalmologists of NECO who I have worked closely with) and my undergrad gpa was a 2.8 major in Biology and my Masters is a 3.5 major in Gerontology. I am also 22 years of age. My OAT score was really low (under 300 - thats all I have to say), but I am planning to retake it in Jan. I have 1 year's worth of patient care experience where I performed the following duties:
- Baseline glaucoma tests (Pachymetry, OCT, Tonography, Visual Fields).
- Prepare patients for Laser procedures (ALT, ALI, SLT)
- Prepare patients for minor procedures such as removal of a cyst or papilloma.
- Pre-operation Pterygium tests (Topography, External photos).
- Pre-operation Cataract test (EBM).
- Complete Autorefract and Refract testing.
- Take measurement of ocular pressure.
- Administer drops for Day 1 post cataract surgery patients.
- Prepare patients for Cataract surgery with instructions on how to take their pre-operation medication.
- Schedule cataract, pterygium, and glaucoma filter surgery.
- Bill for all in office and surgical procedures.

I dunno, are they hestating.? Also in my undergrad I did the following:
- A Laboratory Assistant at Brigham Women’s Hospital preparing Molasses Plates and Agar Plates for Post-Doctoral Fellows and supervising over Drosophila Stocks.
- A Hospice Volunteer visiting to Hospice patients and was individually commended for my work by the Supervisors at Health Care Dimensions.
- A Peer Advisor to Freshman at Emmanuel College.
- A Connections Leader hosting Japanese women studying English as a second language in the United States.
- A Girl Scouts Leader in which I initiated and executed an after school program in Math and Science for the middle school aged girls; funded by the Girl Scouts of America.
- A tutor to inner city, middle school aged girls at an after-school program in Roxbury, MA.
- A Student Coordinator in which I supervised the other tutors in the after-school program.
- An Orientation Leader during Freshman move-in and a Resident Assistant at Emmanuel College.

I am sooo nervous. I really really want to do this. :scared:

Aww Ariel thanks so much!!! That means so much to me - I think I want to cry!!! I am overwhelmed by emotion, first because I really really really want to go to Optometry School, and second I just got such a unexpected wonderful positive review from an already-been-accepted-to-optometry-school student - Ariel Winter :) :)

Ariel your contributions to these forums is phenomenol - so thought out and diligently put together. Its refreshing to know that you will be a doctor - I know you will help so many others besides the ones you help here :)

Keep up the good work!

:) :) :)

NO PROBLEM! well deserved! now that i have been accepted to optometry school, i feel it is sort of my obligation to help those who are going through the same process i have gone through. this is the least i can do. i must live my life according to my signature (see below). i thank YOU so much for your compliments... it is good to know i am helping at least one person. it is great to have a forum like this one, where people can share and express their emotions without feeling intimidated in any way. i am entirely sincere when i say YOU WILL BE AN OPTOMETRIST! you will make a wonderful doctor! i just know it. i truly believe that if one works hard, anything is possible! i can't wait to meet you next year when we are classmates and colleagues at NECO. the pleasure will be all mine! :love:

Bhartiben Patel said:
Aww Ariel thanks so much!!! That means so much to me - I think I want to cry!!! I am overwhelmed by emotion, first because I really really really want to go to Optometry School, and second I just got such a unexpected wonderful positive review from an already-been-accepted-to-optometry-school student - Ariel Winter :) :)

Ariel your contributions to these forums is phenomenol - so thought out and diligently put together. Its refreshing to know that you will be a doctor - I know you will help so many others besides the ones you help here :)

Keep up the good work!

:) :) :)

Hey,

Congrats on getting into both schools!

Ning-Ju

ariel winter said:
wow! and i thought i had a lot of extracurriculars! you appear to be a very well-rounded individual... NECO will be lucky to have you! don't worry so much (though i know it is easier said than done!) when did you write your oat? i took the oct15 written one and i thought i fared ok... but now you have me nervous, hehe! be confident, i know you will get in and we will be classmates! :)

WOW! You must have amazing extracurricualars, and GPA, to be accepted without OAT scores. Congrats!

USA: Illinois College of Optometry

Date submitted: 9/6/2005
Date of interview: 11/1/2005
Accepted: 11/25/2005
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 1/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 7/10 (10 being best)

The school itself is only one building and the Illinois Eye Institute is attached in the back. The school looked new and the facilities there are in excellent shape. My interview was with Dr. Gary Lesher, he's a 2nd year Professor teaching pharmacology.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 50 minutes
Location of Interview: At the ICO campus

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 2 students
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic & were helpful in anwering our questions

Tips and advice: Just be yourself as this interview was very relaxed. I have heard that Dr. Lesher is a great interviewer and sometimes easy to read. He tries to relate to you and we did get off-topic as we talked about the cubbies :)

How did you prepare for the interview: I browsed through this forum and asked a couple of the optometrists that I currently work with of what to expect and also one of the interns that works with me gave me some insight on the interview. Mainly, just don't stress out and speak from you heart. He did not try to trick me or ask any difficuly questions, they were just the typical questions that you would expect.

What positively impressed you: The faculty at ICO are awesome. They are really nice and do go out of your way to help you out. Their advisors are very helpful.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Not much. I felt I was prepared for the interview so nothing surprised me.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: He posed the question JUST HYPOTHETICALLY, what would you do if you were denied admittance into ICO.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: None

Specific Questions

Question 2: What are your hobbies, how do you try to relax yourself?

Question 3: Tell me one class that disliked and one you liked.

Can someone write some feedback on their interview with SUNY Optometry? I am going to have an interview on 12/29 so any thoughts/suggestions would be great. :D

Nimue619 said:
Can someone write some feedback on their interview with SUNY Optometry? I am going to have an interview on 12/29 so any thoughts/suggestions would be great. :D

i interviewed with them last year and was accepted into the program there but chose another school instead, overall i think the facilities and technology available to students at SUNY is top notch and it is by no means a bad school. but to be honest, i feel the SUNY interview is the hardest one out of all the interviews i've had. the interview a bit intimidating since it is open file and you are being interviewed by 3-4 faculty members all at once. i found it hard to be myself and express myself correctly towards their questions and i walked out of it feeling pretty stressed and thikning that it didn't go so well ....but i did get accepted in the end, which was kind of weird. so don't be intimidated by what i've told you and keep your head up.

oh and they had me write an small quip about a life experience before the interview and they ask you about that later on. i conveniently had writer's block which caused me more stress, haha.

some of the general questions they asked me were, why SUNY? what are the important aspects that you look for when you apply to an optometry school? short and long term goals in your career as an optometrist. hmm...some stuff on your life experiences, inquiries into your grades, extracurricular activities ...favourite past times? that's about all i can remember, that should be sufficient for you to prepare, but wish you the best for your interview and christmas break.

Members don't see this ad :)

USA: Southern College of Optometry

Date submitted: 12/14/2005
Date of interview: 12/2/2005
Accepted: 12/5/2005
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 3/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 7/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions

The clinic was incredible. Everyone was extremely nice and very helpful to help you relax beforehand. Interview was basically conversation-style.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 1 hour, not sure exactly
Location of Interview: At the SCO campus

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 3rd year student

Tips and advice: Make sure you're relaxed! The interviewer is, so you should be too! Since it is closed file, you do need to work a little to sell yourself, so just make sure you know all your accomplishments!

How did you prepare for the interview: I reviewed all the possible questions by looking around this forum. I also researched the school and made sure I had my own questions to ask.

What positively impressed you: The staff and the clinic. Both incredible. They even sent me a Christmas card!

What negatively impressed you: The school itself was amazing. I'm still not sure about the city of Memphis, as I wasn't able to spend much time there.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: ?

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What was your most interesting non-science/non-pre req. class and how will this help you in optometry school?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Your Aunt Millie goes to an opthomologist for her eye exams and brings her kids there as well. Would you tell her this is wrong, and if so why? (Shortened version of it)

Specific Questions

Question 1: What are you hobbies?

Question 2: What shadowing experiences have you had?

Question 3: Tell me your story.

I responded to another thread w/ this info.. and thought it would be useful here as well.. :)

hey there.. i have interviewed @ NECO & SCO...
both interviews consisted of pretty basic questions...NECO was open file; so my interviewer just "dug deeper" --for instance, he asked what activities I did in my extracurricular credentials (i.e. I was fundraiser chair.) He also asked how i compared shadowing an ophthalmologist and an optometrist.. and then it was basically over.. b/c their interview is only like 20 minutes. oh yeah... i asked about their 4th year externships (only b/c details were not clear ..)
SCO: this interview was closed file.. so 1st question was 'tell me about yourself'' so the cliche' advice here is to.. ."KNow yourself" =) My interviewer (Dr. Sanford) graduated from SCO in '03 so she was young/energetic, so it wasnt and old man w/ a beard & glasses drillling me--so this was cool. she basically asked.. why optometry, what class was most challenging to me in undergrad, a lil about shadowing, why not opticianry or ophthalmology (my sis is an optician, my dad is an optometrist & b/c i shadowed an ophth.) sooooo--> all the crap you put on your application--> know. lets seeeeeeeeee.. i loved that she was from TN, b/c i am from SC/NC and it was a relief to have someone who had a southern accent... Just imagine when i opened my mouth in Boston. = D

i think thats a good synopsis of what to expect.. im not emotionally scarred or anything from the experience.. soooooooooooo dont sweat it.. The first thing that Dr. Sanford said (SCO) was the whole point of the interview is to make sure you have social skills.. can you effeciently communicate to patients/staff... you know the deal.

FOR OTHER READERS: Been to NOVA?? clue me in. I'll be there Jan. 9th

P.S. As for questions asked @ SCO.. i asked about scholarships b/c i heard of small ones that individuals classes sponsor (i.e. class of '84) etc.

P.P.S every school is crazy about their clinic so research it and ask about that? i didnt .. but what the hell? haha

Can anyone tell me anything about NOVA interviews? and also how long it took for you guys to get an interview after submitting all the papers? Thanx
+pad+

USA: State University of New York

Date submitted: 08/11/2005
Date of interview: 12/19/2005
Type of Program: OD, OD/MS
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 9/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
What is your ranking of this schools location: 5/10 (10 being best)

The school is in downtown NYC - Manhattan. The school is in one tall building which makes everything very convienient. However, there is no dining or cafeteria. Most students either bring their lunches or walk outside to the numerous NYC restaurants. When I walked in, the first thing that impressed me the most is the level of security. They have a concierge type person and it looks like a very elegant hotel from the inside.
When I first got there, I was offered coffee :) and was told to go in a room for an essay. My essay question was something along the line of "If you held a political office position, and the majority of your consituients disagreed with a policy, would you go with your own opinion on the next voting day or would you do what the majority wants you to do?" My interview was open folder with Dr. Johnson and 3 other ODs. It was semi-intense since they were popping up questions non-stop. However, I don't think the questions were too hard. After the interview, I sat down with a financial representative and chatted about options for loans.
I was very impressed with how happy and professional the school staff and students were. There were 4 of us interviewing that day and we were all invited to the school for this fall. Some of the departments that really stuck out was the LASIK area where students can work with ODs and MDs on refractive surguries. Also, they have really new technologies for the low vision and vision therapy. The school also offers a combined OD/MS without extra charge. So you really get your $ worth if you like research.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 20-40 minutes
Location of Interview: 33 West 42nd Street
Number of Interviewers: ( 4 )
The interviews were held: Four-on-One

Tour info

Tips and advice: Be yourself and just relax. Be happy. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and went to the career ctr at my school for mock interviews.

What positively impressed you: The school, the great programs, and how everyone seem so happy. Dr. Johnson was so friendly and everyone ate lunch together despite the lack of a dining service. The students also did secret santa haha. Also, you can change state residency and get 1/2 off of tuition!!!

What negatively impressed you: Nothing. I love it except I'm really terrified of NYC. That could be the ultimate determining factor for me. Also, I am a little afraid of trimesters.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: nothing really.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: How do you like the East Coast?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: How did you get into poetry.

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why SUNY?

Question 3: Your Bio and Reading were significantly lower than your other subjects, what happened?

This observation is based after going to 4 different interviews. However, I have two more interviews to go so my #ing system could be a little different but I don't think it will be too strayed.

USA: Pacific University College of Optometry

Date submitted: 09/4/2005
Date of interview: 1/12/2005
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 6/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 9/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 4/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 5/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 2/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 2/10 (10 being best)

The school is in the middle of nowhere although Forest Grove is about 50 mins away from Portland. As of this year, there is a 50:50 ratio of undergrad vs grad students. Next year, the ratio will more likely be 40:60. The campus is very small but compared to other optometry schools, it is larger. There are 4 different clinics throughout the area but the main one is in the school. They just finished building a new clinic but optometry students will probably utilize it starting 2009.
When I first got there, they had me do a quick essay one. There were 3 questions and you have to pick one. I ended up doing the one "what characterics do you find in a good friend". I think they have the same 3 questions for everyone. My interview was closed folder with Janelle Homebolt and another OD. They have 2 people on the admission committee read the files and then 2 different ones do the interviews. There are a total of 12 committee members. The interview was pretty laid back. I ended up talking a lot and took up 45 mins of the 50 mins allotted time. After my interview, they had me do a critical thinking part where I picked a sheet of paper and answer the questions so they can see my thought process. I did the one with "If there is a something I know that the patient can benefit from but the patient is not sure if they want it. Would you lie to the patient and perform it anyways or would you tell the patient?" After the interview, they told me that the committee was meeting that afternoon and I would hear back in a couple of hours. Around 5, Janelle called me and said I was accepted. So far, they've accepted around 40 students.

Interview basics
Length of Interview:40-50 minutes
Location of Interview: Forest Grove, OR
Number of Interviewers: ( 2 )
The interviews were held: Two-on-One

Tour info
The tour was given by a: Janelle (the student was sick)
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 5/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Be yourself and just relax. Be happy. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and went to the career ctr at my school for mock interviews.

What positively impressed you: The proximity to my family. The WICHE opportunity where students can get 1/2 off of tuition!!! Research opportunities. All students prior to graduation have to do a research project and make a poster presentation.

What negatively impressed you: Location and the facilities - not as great as SUNY or the other schools. Although I went during their midwinter quarter so I didn't get to see a lot of people.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: location.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: If we were to bring one of your friends into this room. What do you think they would say about you? What do you want them to say?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What was the most stressful period of your life and how did you handle it.

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why Optometry?

Question 2: Why Pacific?

Question 3: If you were to come to our school, how would you contribute to the community?

Question 4: What are your strengths?

This observation is based after going to 4 different interviews. However, I have two more interviews to go so my #ing system could be a little different but I don't think it will be too strayed.

USA: New England College of Optometry

Date submitted: 08/1/2005
Date of interview: 10/15/2005
Type of Program: OD, OD/MS
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 2/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 6/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 6/10 (10 being best)

I agree with Ariel. The school was beautiful, had a sense of history to it. The inside looks European. :) I had the first interview for the incoming class but it was very laid back. I forget who I had my interview with but he had to go to a dentist apt so what's why I had to go around 9am. What really impressed me was the fact that everyone seemed so happy there despite the low passing rate. After the interview, I had a tour and we were actually able to see the president's office. During lunch, there were about 5 students, 2nd and 3rd years who came to greet us. I interviewed with 6-8 other people and I think everyone had a really good experience.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 20 minutes
Location of Interview: At the Beacon Street Campus

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 3 students
The tourguide seemed: Super Enthusiastic

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and practiced via mock interviews with the career ctr.

What positively impressed you: "The interview was really low-stress. The dean of admissions was there in the waiting room, getting all of the interviewees to talk to each other and relax." How happy everyone was about the school. Very warm feeling.

What negatively impressed you: Low board passing rate for last year. They told me about 67%. This depended on the class though, so I assume it was much higher the year before. Also, the tuition and the cost of living. $47,000+ a year.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: I talked to an alum who graduated but it was after my interview and she told me that I should def take into the cost of living+tuition because she's on a 30 year plan and she's paying $1,800 a month.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What questions do you have for us?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: He didn't really ask me any questions. It was all me.

Specific Questions

The guy just told me that I had a really good chance and that I shouldn't worry unless my OAT is really really bad. I guess I really lucked out :) Sorry, I couldn't be anymore helpful in this category.

Date submitted: 9/3/2005
Date of interview: 11/4/2005
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 10/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 6/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 7/10 (10 being best)

"The school itself is only one building and the Illinois Eye Institute is attached in the back. The school looked new and the facilities there are in excellent shape." When I first got there, (there were 3 of us) and we each took turn going into a room to write our essay. The essay question was "what qualities should Optometrists possess." Then we all had different interviewees come get us for our one-on-one interview. My interview was open file with the biochem professor. She didn't seem very enthusiastic during my interview. In fact, she kept on yawning which made me even more self-conscious. And then she asked really hard questions trying to make me look bad. I don't know, it wasn't a very good experience but I think I did pretty good.

Interview basics

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 2 students - I also stayed overnight at the residential complex and was given a tour by a student. He also answered 100000 questions. He was super nice.
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Just be yourself as this interview was very relaxed. Depends on the interviewer. So good luck! Be happy. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum relentlessly and went to the career ctr at my school for mock interviews

What positively impressed you: Great students. The pretty high 1st year passing rate last year ~91%

What negatively impressed you: Residential complex - the fact that it's like college dorms. The # of tests first years have to take ~60.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Location

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What do you think of the midwest.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: you're not a science major, how do you think you'll do during optometry school with 6 science courses a quarter?

Specific Questions

Question 2: What are your hobbies, how do you try to relax yourself?

Question 3: Tell me one class that disliked and one you liked.

Question 4: Do you forsee problems with the OAT scores and why? (this was before receiving my scores).

USA: Nova Southeastern College of Optometry

Date submitted: 1/14/2006
Date of interview: 4/2005
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 9/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 9/10 (10 being best)

Everyone I met was very warm and welcoming. The school was easy to get to and the lady who worked in the office (Fran) was very helpful. The facilities seem brand new with all of the latest technology. Three of us interviewed that day and I got there early so Fran took me on a personal tour. The interview was very relaxed- there were two professors and they both attended PCO. The students I met loved their school and talked about their apartments- sounded like they paid around 550 a month. I felt very comfortable all day and had a great experience.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30 minutes or less
Location of Interview: in the Health Sciences office

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 2 students - Like I said before- I also got a tour from Fran which was really helpful.
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic & were helpful in answering our questions
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 9/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Relax! Everyone is very nice & helpful. Campus is great.

How did you prepare for the interview: Went to a mock interview at my career center.

What positively impressed you: Great students, faculty, facilities, and location.
What negatively impressed you: I guess for me the fact that I am from PA- pretty far away...

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: transportation to & from...you can take a free bus from the airport to campus

Interview Questions
To be honest it was so long ago that I don't really remember...I think it was pretty general- Why Nova? Talk about some of the activities you have involved in throughout college. Why optometry? What makes you a good candidate for our program? It was pretty quick and painless :)

I found out that I got in two weeks later.
Hope this helps- let me know if you have any questions :).

USA: SUNY College of Optometry

Date submitted: 1/14/2006
Date of interview: 1/11/2006
In-State Student? Yes

Stress Level: 10/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 2/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions

The interview was open file, so you should be prepared to answer anything about your own history (good or bad). I was asked to write an essay before they interviewed me. The actual interview lasted about 30 minutes. Many difficult questions. I highly encourage anyone going for the interview to know current important events! SUNY asks you on that and what you think of them. You MUST know what optometry is and what they do to a certain extent and make sure you've shadowed other optometrists before. Otherwise your chance is slim to none, despite high scores/grades.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30 minutes or less
Location of Interview: Office of Admissions
Number of Interviewers: ( 3 )
The interviews were held: Three-on-One

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 1 students
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic & were helpful in answering our questions

Tips and advice: Know why you want to get into the career of optometry. What optometry is all about.

How did you prepare for the interview: prepared a list of Q&A on my own.

What positively impressed you: Great students, faculty, facilities, and location, everything.
What negatively impressed you: over emphasis placed on your previous shadowing experience for the interview (I guess I shouldn't complain, it's my fault)

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: shadow at least some optometrists! geez I had 2 weeks off before the interview and i didn't go find someone to work for. :mad:

Interview Questions
1. Why did you go to your undergraduate school?
2. Why do you want a career in optometry?
3. Do you agree with G.W. Bush's choice in the nomination of the new court judge?
4. What if you don't get in SUNY?
5. Have you considered medicine? Applied?
6. If we gather all of your friends in this room, what are some of the things they'd say about you.
7. Tell me about you.

I was told at the end of the interview that my chances of getting in is very slim because I don't have any previous shadowing experience. So if I don't start shadowing some optometrists and write a 3-4 page report, they will basically reject me.

My GPA: 3.4
OAT AA: 340
OAT TS: 370
Many extracurriculars but did NOT shadow an optometrist! doh :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

Date submitted: 16/01/2006
Date of interview: 05/01/2006
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 5/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 6/10 (10 being best)

The intreview it slef was very laid back, there was no stress invloved at all. I loved the ppl they where awesome, but the school it self didnt really appeal to me, I personaly found it kinda small.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 1 hr

Tour info
I had a tour of the living area the night before my intreview because i stayed in res, the tour of the school was given by 2 students who where awesome. The school seems nice, but agian its kinda small.

Tips and advice: I would suggest going over a few basic questions, like why you want to be an OD. But other than that, the intreview was very very laid back, I think my intreviewer actually talked more than I did.

How did you prepare for the interview: I got questions from SDN, and basically came up answers for all them (i had close to a 100), which I think was a bit excessive considering the way the intreview went.

What positively impressed you: The ppl there are really nice, and they really try to make you relax.

What negatively impressed you: I generally didnt like the school itself, I found it really small and comming from a big school its was a bit of a change. The res is very small as well, and unfourtantly the only thing i can compare this school to is the one im currently at.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: I was asked something along the lines of If i could live away from home to go to school, like leave my family.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: There was nothing really to hard, my intreview was basically general. What extracicular activies where you invloved with in school.

Specific Questions

Question 1: What inspired yout to pursue opto, why not medicine

Question 2: If anyone else in my family was in the medicine feild

Question 3: WHat made me want to come to ICO and how did I research about the school

This was one of the only schools I applied to, and I decided before this intreview call even that I would like to get my degree before I go onto Opt school. So keep that in mind when you read over my responses.

Date submitted: 10/23/2005
Date of interview: 12/16/2005
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 7/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 9/10 (10 being best)

The facilities are excellent since they are all in one building, which I found very convinient. Also, the residential complex is very close to the campus (just right across the street), so it is a very nice place for out-of-state students to stay at. Faculty and students are very friendly, and the interview was very laid back.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 45 min

Tour info
The school has everything it needs in one building, and most of the labs/lecture halls are recently remodeled, and I am very impressed that they actually have a basketball court built within!

Tips and advice: Prepare to answer some basic questions, but just relax and say things straight from your heart (no need to rehearse at all for the perfect/ideal answers), it will only make you more stressed.

How did you prepare for the interview: I went to bookstore and bought a book about interviewing tips (can't find one that is specific for professional schools, but books for regular job interview would do just fine), and I also scanned through a lot more other similar types of books at the bookstore.

What positively impressed you: The people were super nice!

What negatively impressed you: Safety. The school focuses heavily on security (though it is a good thing), but the area around the school makes me not want to go out by myself, especially for ladies.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: I wish I knew in advance that the interview would be THAT stress free. :laugh:

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What did you get for your employee of the month award?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Nothing really hard to answer

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why you choose ICO?

Question 2: What programs do you know that ICO has to offer?

Question 3: Tell me about your research. What did you learn from it?

Question 4: What do you want to do when you graduate with an OD?

USA: SCCO

Date submitted: 9/15/2005
Date of interview: 01/03/2006
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Neutral

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 9/10 (10 being best)

The interview was very stressful to me since I was interviewed by two faculty and a student. In addition, they were very good at hiding their emotion, so it was difficult to get a sense of whether you did a good job or not.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 50 min
Location of Interview: At the SCCO campus
Number of Interviewers: ( 3 )
The interviews were held: 3 at the same time for one interviewee
The interviews were: closed file

Tour info
Eye care center is super nice, and the library and lecture halls are very new.

Tips and advice: Prepare to answer some basic questions, but just relax and say things straight from your heart (no need to rehearse at all for the perfect/ideal answers), it will only make you more stressed. Try to break the ice at the beginning and smile a lot, they will feel relaxed too! :smuggrin:

How did you prepare for the interview: I went to bookstore and bought a book about interviewing tips (can't find one that is specific for professional schools, but books for regular job interview would do just fine), and I also scanned through a lot more other similar types of books at the bookstore. Check out SDN.

What positively impressed you: The facilities.

What negatively impressed you: I would say I was 'upset' for not being able to get to know other interviewees!! :laugh: I was the only one waiting at the reception!

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: I wish I knew in advance that I would be fired with questions. I wish I had more time to predict what they would ask and how I should answer. Know the contents of your personal statements.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What do you like to do for fun?

What was the most difficult question you were asked:
Specific Questions

Question 1: What did you decide to pursue a master degree? Why do you decide to go from a Master to OD?

Question 2: Why do you want to open your own business?

Question 3: Tell me about your research. What did you learn from it? Do you know anything about the up to date technology for detecting glaucoma?

Basically, they only had my personal statements in front of them, so all the questions asked were revolved from the essays that I wrote, so be sure you know your essay well. (which I regret I didn't read it again before the interview because I assumed I remember it pretty well.) Also, try not to show your 'fear', they can detect it very easily.

oops...haha...thanks for pointing out the mistakes I made. I didn't mean to make the school looks bad. :laugh:

Did any one intreview at UMSL? I have an intreview there in 2 weeks.

USA: Pennsylvania College of Optometry

Date submitted: 09/05/2005
Date of interview: 1/30/2005
Type of Program: OD, OD/MS - only Vision Rehabiliation
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 8/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 7/10 (10 being best)

The school is in pretty safe area. It's in it's own bubble. However, about 2-3 miles away, the area becomes very sketchy. Broken houses, windows and cars. The school is in an office building type with Merrill Lynch right next to them. The clinic is in a pretty unsafe area, north Philly. You def need a car because there are no shuttles from the school to the clinic.
When I first got there, I was told to wait and then I had an interview with one of the professors. He was very nice and the interview went really well. We talked for 1:15 mins. Then, a student met us to take us to the clinic. We took the admissions shuttle and she gave us a tour of the clinic. The clinic was ok, not the best one I've seen but there were a lot of patients. The avg student sees about 2200 patients, which is pretty good. Then, I had lunch with the student - lunch was good. After lunch, the financial lady came and talked to me about the different options. It was a very productive meeting. After the meeting, I had another interview (exit interview) with one of the admission member.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 1 hour, and 15 mins for exit interview
Location of Interview: Elkins Park
The interviews were held: one-on-One
The interviews were: Closed File and Open file for Exit Interview

Tour info

What positively impressed you: The modules, the early clinic opportunities.

What negatively impressed you: That it's really hard for someone out of state to become a PA resident - that means 46,000+ a year.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Two interviews.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What kind of vision research did you do

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Nothing was that hard.

Specific Questions

Question 1: What do you know about our curriculum

Question 3: What do you see yourself in 4 years

This observation is based after going to 6 different interviews.

USA: Southern California College of Optometry

Date submitted: 09/05/2005
Date of interview: 2/4/2005
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10 (10 being best)

The school is the prettiest school I've been to. I love California! It's also in a pretty safe area. The school is pretty new, renovated in 1998. It's a little confusing to find the admission office for the interview but overall everything looks great. You'll also need a car there though cause the Californians don't have great metro/subways. When I first got there at noon, I was told to wait. There were 11 of us. We all went to go write our essay for the first 30 mins. Then, we all had our financial aid session together. Later, we were divided into 3 groups. One group went on a campus tour, the other group had their interview and my group took turns to talk to the admissions counselor about our application. Then, our group went on the campus tour. I was amazed at the facilities, it was very new and looked very nice. The interview was a little scary. It was with one professor and one student. They asked some very direct questions and didn't seem too enthusiastic until the very end.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30-45 minutes
Location of Interview: Fullerton

Tour info
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic, preppy
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 9/10 (10 being best)

What positively impressed you: The location of the school and the different opportunities for 4th years - I'm from the west coast so the school had a lot of west coast opportunities.

What negatively impressed you: I didn't know about the WICHE and now it's too late. If I applied for the WICHE, I might go there. The school's not really a research school - more clinical. California has different policies to what Optometrists can do, not as flexible as a lot of other states. Their clinics was nice - in terms of newness, but they didn't have a lot of "special" programs like heavy focus on low vision, vision rehabilitation, etc.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: To eat lunch before the interview. The interview as 3.5-4 hours long, and they didn't feed us or provide us with water. I was starving at the end.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What's the difference between an Optometrist and an Ophalmologist.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What's the difference between Optometrists in NY and Cali? NY can prescribe jobs, what do you know about Optometrists in Cali?

Specific Questions

Question 2: Why SCCO?

Question 3: What do you see yourself in 4 years

This observation is based after going to 6 different interviews.

Last year's Boards Passing Rate for Board I
SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%
Feel free to add to this #

I don't know about the national avg though. I think it's somewhere around 72. Correct me if I'm wrong

Opt2010 said:
SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

I don't know about the national avg though. I think it's somewhere around 72. Correct me if I'm wrong
Hey, where'd you get these stats from?

I went to all of the 6 schools listed above and specifically asked the admission commitee. So they are very valid. :)

SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

National avg - 72%

USA: Pacific University College of Optometry

Date submitted: 11/21/2005
Date of interview: 2/3/2005
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: n/a
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 7/10 (10 being best)

I went to the interview day with 14 other people. It was interesting to meet the other applicants, and we got to sit in on a second year class and talk to a financial aid advisor. We had lunch and a dessert reception with faculty and students, which gave us lots of time to mingle and schmooze with the people who are deciding our fate on Thursday. I actually sat at lunch and talked to the student who ended up giving me my interview later.

Interview basics
Length of Interview:40-50 minutes
Location of Interview: Forest Grove, OR
Number of Interviewers:2, one student and one lady who works in grad admissions

Tour info
The tour was given by a: pregnant optometry student (!)

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed this forum, discussed with my optometrist what is good/not good to say

What positively impressed you: This sounds cheesy, but it really felt like everyone there is one big family. Everyone seemed so friendly and relaxed. Also, they had all new equipment and a new library on campus.

What negatively impressed you: The building which the optometry classes are in seemed quite old, but they are moving to a brand new facility in Hillsboro in 2009.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: There weren't any surprises, although I wasn't sure what to wear.

Interview Questions:

What was the most interesting question you were asked: If we were to bring one of your friends into this room. What do you think they would say about you?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Tell us about a stressful time in your life and how you dealt with it.

Specific Questions

Question 2: Why Pacific?

Question 3: What are your strengths?

Question 4: Now that you're almost done with your undergrad, are there any classes you wish you would/could have taken?

Question 5: Tell us about a good professor you've had, and what did you like about them? Also about a bad professor you've had.

After they asked all their questions, I drew a hypothetical situation from a stack of ten on sheets of paper and had to tell them how I'd handle it. Mine was: "You are diagnosed with a contagious disease, ie. AIDS or TB. You take all necessary precautions so that your patients have virtually no chance of catching it from you. Do you tell each and every patient who walks in your door about your disease? Why or why not?"

Hey IwillbeOD... I was at the interview day too! Where were you from? I was the girl with her husband (poor guy) tagging along all day! My name is Brittany and I'm from Reno, NV. Best of luck to you!

I'm from Washington State, my name's Sarah. I have seen your posts, but I didn't put it together on Friday that that was you :laugh: What did you think of Pacific? As you can tell from my post, I was impressed and I really hope I get accepted! Good luck to you!

University of Houston

Date submitted: 11/2005
Date of interview: 1/06
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Neutral

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10

The interview day was good, but I was not particuarly impressed with the interview itself. My interview consisted of a professor and a student. The professor was late to the interview. Halfway through the interview the professor had to leave because of clinic duties.

My overall perception of the school was good, although apparently not in a very good area. I was impessed with the professionalism and diversity of the students.

Interview basics
Length of Interview:20 minutes
Location of Interview: Houston, TX
Number of Interviewers:2, one student and one professor

Tour info
The tour was given by a: a staff member and assistant dean
The tourguide seemed: staff member not so enthusiastic. asst dean was enthusiastic.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed this forum, discussed with my optometrist what is good/not good to say.

What positively impressed you: The assistant dean was super nice.

What negatively impressed you: The head dean wasn't there. Not impressed by the professor who interviewed me. Student affairs office wasn't particularly friendly.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: The campus is HUGE (ie, city buses run through the campus!). Be sure to know exactly where you're going by going to their website and looking at their campus map. There's no way you could walk the whole campus if you didn't know where it is.

Interview Questions:

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Tell us about yourself.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Tell us about a personal challenge.

Specific Questions

At the end of the interview, the asst dean goes over your file with you and asks you if you have any questions.

By the way, I got in.

IwillbeOD said:
I'm from Washington State, my name's Sarah. I have seen your posts, but I didn't put it together on Friday that that was you :laugh: What did you think of Pacific? As you can tell from my post, I was impressed and I really hope I get accepted! Good luck to you!

I was impressed with Pacific. First off, I loved the campus and Forest Grove and Portland in general. I really like the welcoming atmosphere and that everyone seemed so willing to help you succeed. The biggest drawback that I can see if the clinical aspect of the program. Forest Grove isn't a hotbed of ocular disease and all of the stuff that I could see in large urban settings such as Chicago or Memphis. (Luckily, they do have the clinics in Portland that will offer more than the actual school clinic can!) But, every thing else I really liked... the Oregon coast is amazing! Combine all of that with the fact that I can get WICHE and maybe save around 14,000 a year and I really think that Pacific could be the best choice for me! I wish you the best of luck as well... keep our fingers crossed...tomorrow is the day!

Opt2010 said:
SUNY - 96%
ICO - 92%
SCCO - 89%
Pacific - 84%
PCO - 79%
NECO - 68%

Hey, sorry but you got ICO's rate wrong. The board passing rate for Board I was only 80% PASS. Hopefully people don't take the numbers too seriously though.

http://www.ico.edu/ico3/generalinformation/faq.html

National Pass Rate for Board I is 72%
National Pass Rate for Part II is 75% (but data is from 2001)
National Pass Rate for Part III is 93%

IwillbeOD thanks for the info on the Pacific interview. I think they are my first choice too but I do agree with preetygreeneyes about the clinic experience being a drawback. I will be applying to Pacific, SCCO and SCO. I may also apply to Nova, ICO, and SUNY but I don't have to decide yet since I'll be in the class of 2011 and not 2010.

University Missouri St. louis

Date submitted: 14/2006
Date of interview: 13/2006
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Positvely

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10
What is your ranking of this schools location: 8/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 6/10 (10 being best)

The interview was good, I had 2 proffesors interview me. They both really nice, although one only talked once during the whole thing. The school and facililties seemed good, the location of the campus seems pretty good as well. One of the interviews let me know that I should be recieving an letter of acceptance for UMSL, but next week. He said he has to take it to the committee because im in 3rd year. There didnt seem like there was much in terms of on campus life, as most students commute to school.

Interview basics
Length of Interview:20 minutes
Location of Interview: St. louis Missouri
Number of Interviewers:2
The interviews were: open File

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 2 Students
The tourguide seemed: Both the students where enthusastic about the school, and they where very helpful with all the questions that we where asking

Tips and advice: Try and relax, the day at UMSL is very laid back, your only on campus for a couple hrs its not to long of a day and they pretty much give you a heads up as to what to expect while your there.

How did you prepare for the interview: I went through questions on this forum, and practice with friends and family.

What positively impressed you: The professors interviewing me where extermely nice and I loved the fact that they let you know if you'll be receiving a letter of accpetance or not. Its kinda relief to know where you stand with your interviews. Altough its also kinda nerve racking waiting for the actual letter.

What negatively impressed you: I liked almost everything about this schoo

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing

Interview Questions:

What was the most interesting question you were asked: I was asked about this research project that I voulnteered to help run in the summer time.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Nothing to hard, they asked about my one low grade in organic

Specific Questions

Question 2: Whats the difference between an Od and a Opthamlogist

Question 3: What are OD's allowed to prescribe drugs and drops for. (which I thought was kinda hard question, I havent really looked into that and I only know what my canadian OD told me)

prettygreeneyes said:
I was impressed with Pacific. First off, I loved the campus and Forest Grove and Portland in general. I really like the welcoming atmosphere and that everyone seemed so willing to help you succeed. The biggest drawback that I can see if the clinical aspect of the program. Forest Grove isn't a hotbed of ocular disease and all of the stuff that I could see in large urban settings such as Chicago or Memphis. (Luckily, they do have the clinics in Portland that will offer more than the actual school clinic can!) But, every thing else I really liked... the Oregon coast is amazing! Combine all of that with the fact that I can get WICHE and maybe save around 14,000 a year and I really think that Pacific could be the best choice for me! I wish you the best of luck as well... keep our fingers crossed...tomorrow is the day!

Actually, Pacific will be opening up a new clinic in Hillsboro across from a hospital. The clinic will open up this fall!!! It will also be on the Max line (transit system). There they will have all sorts of different and interesting patients as compared to the generally healthy Forest Grove population base. The Hillsboro clinic will be open in the Fall, and the new campus in Hillsboro (adjacent to the clinic) was rumored to open in 2010. (Construction has already begun!) Sounds exciting....Brand New clinic and school closer to Portland....

CDN_twin said:
Actually, Pacific will be opening up a new clinic in Hillsboro across from a hospital. The clinic will open up this fall!!! It will also be on the Max line (transit system). There they will have all sorts of different and interesting patients as compared to the generally healthy Forest Grove population base. The Hillsboro clinic will be open in the Fall, and the new campus in Hillsboro (adjacent to the clinic) was rumored to open in 2010. (Construction has already begun!) Sounds exciting....Brand New clinic and school closer to Portland....

It was my understanding that the class of 2010 may not see any patients in the new clinic. If we do, it won't be until 2009. I believe that the clinic is going to be open for patients of the other health professions, including dental hygiene and occupational therapy. I'm not sure though, but I'll check with Janelle.

USA: Southern College of Optometry

Date submitted: 02/01/2006
Date of interview: 02/17/2006
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
What is your ranking of this schools location: 7/10 (10 being best)

The tour was nice. It's a pretty compact campus with just two buildings. The Eye Center is just three years old and looks like a great place to train. The students there looked stressed out because they were starting finals on the next day. But the ones that talked to my group were very nice. I interviewed with Dr. Dreischer. He was very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 40 minutes
Location of Interview: On the 11th floor of the Tower

Tour info
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best). Some classrooms were not available for viewing because practicals were set up.

Tips and advice: Think about the types of questions they can ask, and have a good idea of how you will respond. Relax, and go in to the interview with a positive attitude.

How did you prepare for the interview: I checked out this forum and saw what others were asked. I found some possible questions from another site. I remembered what kinds of questions my advisors asked me before they wrote my recommendations. And I thought about what some of my weaknesses or problem areas might be and how I could explain them or spin them as positives.

What positively impressed you: I really liked their Eye Center. That looks like a great facility. My interview was very relaxed and conversational. He didn't grill me with tough questions like I expected.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing really. I'm not sure I'll love living in Memphis. But that's not really anything against the school.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: How laid back the interview was going to be. They didn't want me to sell myself to them. They didn't want me to defend myself against all of my potential problem areas. They just wanted a chance to meet me and for me to demonstrate that I had basic personal skills.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Nothing interesting that I can remember, I'm sorry to say. This was as straightforward as it comes.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Nothing hard either.

Specific Questions

Question 1: What have you done since graduating?

Question 2: What got you interested in optometry?

Question 3: Why SCO?

Question 4: What do you do outside of school?/Hobbies?

Question 5: Do you have any questions for me?

USA: New England College of Optometry (NECO)

Date submitted: December something of 2005
Date of interview: 2/27/2006
Type of Program: OD/MS
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10 (this was the only school I've visited or had an interview with so far)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10 (keep in mind of what was noted above)

The interview was very laid-back and informal. You're sent together in a room of 4-5 other students along with any "open-house" guests. There is a welcome speech from the director of admission, Larry Shattuck, and then a short introduction to the school's programs, clinical rotations, student organizations, etc. by Dr. Scott, who is absolutely just facetious the whole time and wonderful. Next, each student is interviewed personally by 2 or 3 other professors at the school, and then you're sent back to the meeting room with the other applicants. Current NECO students then stay for a bit to answer any questions you have, take you on a tour around the school, and take you back to the room for lunch. The housing, financial aid, and student services representatives then give you a short presentation along with information packets, and then you're free to leave.

Interview basics
Location of Interview: In a study room at the library

Tour info
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best). We were able to observe a few in session classes at the time with real-time professors lecturing real-time students.

Tips and advice: Think about the types of questions they can ask, and have a good idea of how you will respond. Relax, and go in to the interview with a positive attitude. Be confident and speak from the heart.

How did you prepare for the interview: I checked out this forum and saw what others were asked. And I thought about what some of my weaknesses or problem areas might be and how I could explain them or spin them as positives.

What positively impressed you: The school is very small, so the students and faculty are very close with one another. I really like this aspect of the school, after coming from a public university with close to 40,000 students.

What negatively impressed you: The freezing weather in Boston.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Nothing really. Nothing I was asked was surprising.
What was the most difficult question you were asked: What happened to the latter part of your school year? (my grades dropped considerably after my 2nd year :oops: )

Specific Questions

Question 1: Do you have any questions for me?

Question 2: What have you been doing since your graduation?

Question 3: What happened to your grades after your 2nd year?

Question 4: Life experiences you have learned?

Question 5: That was about it..I spent the majority of the interview talking instead of waiting for the professor to ask me questions.[/QUOTE]

School: PCO

In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10

The interview was pretty basic, I went over the estimated 45 minute time slot, so my tour was a bit rushed. My tour guide was good but I found it distracting when other PCO students were coming up to her to talk to her about who won The Bachelor or what was going on in Gray's Anatomy. And the financial aid speech was done in the cafeteria during the lunch hour, so that was rather distracting too. I guess PCO doesn't have a meeting room to gather in?

Interview basics
Length of Interview: Over 45 minutes
Location of Interview: In a small room just for interviewing
The interviews were: Closed file

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 1 student
The tourguide seemed: Knowedgable
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best).

Tips and advice: Think about the types of questions they can ask, and have a good idea of how you will respond. Relax, and go in to the interview with a positive attitude. Be confident and speak from the heart.

How did you prepare for the interview: Read up on the school.

What positively impressed you: Students seemed focused on their studies.

What negatively impressed you: Location of the school

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What is your proudest accomplishment?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: nothing

Specific Questions

Question #1: What does an OD do?
Question #2: Why PCO?
Question #3: What would it take for you to choose PCO? What have been your impressions so far?
Question #4: In what kind of setting do you see yourself practicing optometry?

Does anyone else have more feedback on UHCO???

I have an interview next week at NECO...did you hear any news about your acceptance? I was also curious how you explain low grades or OAT? I have considerable experience in the field but lower scores. Thanks and good luck!
kenstyle said:
USA: New England College of Optometry (NECO)

Type of Program: OD/MS
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10 (this was the only school I've visited or had an interview with so far)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10 (keep in mind of what was noted above)

The interview was very laid-back and informal. You're sent together in a room of 4-5 other students along with any "open-house" guests. There is a welcome speech from the director of admission, Larry Shattuck, and then a short introduction to the school's programs, clinical rotations, student organizations, etc. by Dr. Scott, who is absolutely just facetious the whole time and wonderful. Next, each student is interviewed personally by 2 or 3 other professors at the school, and then you're sent back to the meeting room with the other applicants. Current NECO students then stay for a bit to answer any questions you have, take you on a tour around the school, and take you back to the room for lunch. The housing, financial aid, and student services representatives then give you a short presentation along with information packets, and then you're free to leave.

Interview basics
Location of Interview: In a study room at the library

Tour info
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best). We were able to observe a few in session classes at the time with real-time professors lecturing real-time students.

How did you prepare for the interview: I checked out this forum and saw what others were asked. And I thought about what some of my weaknesses or problem areas might be and how I could explain them or spin them as positives.

What positively impressed you: The school is very small, so the students and faculty are very close with one another. I really like this aspect of the school, after coming from a public university with close to 40,000 students.

What negatively impressed you: The freezing weather in Boston.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Nothing really. Nothing I was asked was surprising.
What was the most difficult question you were asked: What happened to the latter part of your school year? (my grades dropped considerably after my 2nd year :oops: )

Specific Questions

Question 1: Do you have any questions for me?

Question 2: What have you been doing since your graduation?

Question 3: What happened to your grades after your 2nd year?

Question 4: Life experiences you have learned?

Question 5: That was about it..I spent the majority of the interview talking instead of waiting for the professor to ask me questions.
[/QUOTE]

School: SCO

Date submitted: 12/03/06
Date of interview: 10/03/06
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life:8/10 (10 being best)

Interview was standard, the guy that interviewed me had a list of questions that he wanted to ask me and took notes with my answers. It was closed file so kinda had to work to sell myself. Very laid back. I was the first one done with my interview, but I was told earlier by the admissions counclor who went over my file that he was their shortest interviewer, so I wasnt to wry'd.

Interview basics
Location of Interview: In a small room just for interviewing
The interviews were: Closed file

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 1 student
The tourguide seemed: Knowedgable
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best).
- the clinic was amazing, the school it self was very nice as well... although the labs for antamoy and stuff seemed kinda old and outdated compared to the rest of the school

Tips and advice: I would go over some questions, as I did get asked some pretty basic optometry questions. Other than than know bout yourself, and your background and kinda have a game plan as to what you want the interviewer to know about. It is closed file so you have to sell your self a little bit.

How did you prepare for the interview: Read up on the school.

What positively impressed you: Staff is very friendly, make you feel at home.

What negatively impressed you: Labs seem very old

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked:
I was given a sistuion, where my aunt at a bbq informs me that she takes her kids to an opthmologist rather than an OD. And I was asked if I thought that was wrong and secondly what advice i would give my aunt...

What was the most difficult question you were asked: The most difficult question I think would be the most intersting question. Everything else was pretty basic

Specific Questions

Question #1: Why do you want to be an OD
Question #2: Asked about my background
Question #3: What did I consider when I picked schools to apply to
Question #4: Why did I decide to apply after only 3 years with out a degree[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.