Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused:
Canadian26 said:
School: SO

Hey... what school is SO???? Did you mean SCO?

Members don't see this ad.

prettygreeneyes said:
:confused:

Hey... what school is SO???? Did you mean SCO?

Haha sry my bad, I ment SCO I changed it now

School: SCCO

Date submitted: 02/20/06
Date of interview: 03/15/06
Type of Program: OD
In-State Student? Yes

The interview impressed me: Positively
How you think you did: 8/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10
What is your ranking of this schools location: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life:9/10 (10 being best)

General comments about this interview:
This was my reapplication interview. The interview was much more laid back. The professor even arrived late. We discussed why optometry, current events, hobbies, ethical issues, and some personal stuff. Overall, I did not feel as stressed as last year, except for one moment when I felt like a ton of rocks were burying me.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30 minutes
Location of Interview: Conference room in the admissions office
Number of Interviewers: ( 2: professor and first-year student )
The interviews were held: One-on-One
The interviews were: Closed file

Tour info
The tour was given by a: first-year student
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic, happy with the school, and informative.
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 9/10 (10 being best): The eye clinic was beautiful and fully modernized. Also, they have a newer laser eye center located within the Eye Center. The lecture halls were fitted w/ great presentation hardware, while the labs seemed to be your average lab; my tour wasn't too long.

Tips and advice: Be aware of current events around the world, and within optometry. Reread your personal statement; that's basically all the interviewers have about you. Try to remain relaxed and slow. Too many times I jumbled my words and talked so fast that my mouth started getting dry. Lastly, when they ask you if you have any questions, really do ask questions and make sure you add details about you that they haven't had a chance to discover yet.

How did you prepare for the interview: Relaxed, read the SDN forums, skimmed an interview book, talked to friends, reread my personal statement & resume, and remained honest.

What positively impressed you: The admissions staff is very nice and professional, especially Mrs. Sanchez. The Eye Center is amazing. The location is wonderful. The students seem nice, and from what my tour guide told me, even the 4th years are helpful to 1st years; no/little competition.

What negatively impressed you: Not much. Some labs looked a little old. Didn't see too many students walking around campus (but I guess they're all busy studying).

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Professional ethics!

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked:
Would you trade professional services: I.E. Give your dentist an exam, in return for a dental exam.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Same as above, but also: Would you give your family a free exam.

Specific Questions

Question #1: Why SCCO?
Question #2: Why did you change career paths (I have a BA in sociology).
Question #3: Can you handle the work load?
Question #4: Do you keep up with current events/what's your hobbies?

Members don't see this ad :)
ericlemonster said:
Interview Questions

Would you trade professional services: I.E. Give your dentist an exam, in return for a dental exam.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Same as above, but also: Would you give your family a free exam.

Specific Questions

Interesting questions. What were your answers? :)

I was curious...does anyone know how the interviews at UAB are and what questions they ask?

USA: SCO

Date submitted: 04/03/2006
Date of interview: 03/31/2006
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 1/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: 10/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 10/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 8/10 (10 being best)

It was really stress free thanks to this forum. I felt totally prepared because I rehearsed what they might ask. The staffs and the students there are really up beat and nice. I was impressed with the clinic and their new technology. And the location is perfect, close to downtown Memphis. I felt well taken care of from the moment I entered the building to the time when I left.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 45min
Location of Interview: 11th floor
Number of Interviewers: ( 1 )
The interviews were: Closed File

Tour info
The tour was given by a: Student
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Smile! Relax and it helps if you practice answering possible questions in front of the mirror.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum and practiced via mock interviews and in front of the mirror the night before.

What positively impressed you: The staffs were sincerely nice and they don't brag about the school but focus on what they can do for you to make your visit a pleasant one.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: That it was really laid back.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Tell me about yourself.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: There were no difficult questions really.

Specific Questions

Question 1: What was your career choice before optometry?

Question 2: Why Optometry?

Question 3: What is the most difficult class you have had and what did you do to succeed in it?

USA: PCO

Date submitted: 04/11/2006
Date of interview: 04/07/2006
Type of Program: OD and OD/MS
In-State Student? No

Stress Level: 2/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10 (10 being best)

I really like the new school in the suburban area of Philly. It was a such a beautiful spring day until it wrinkled a little bit when we drove to the Clinic, which is located in Downtown Philly. The Clinic is nice but seem a bit cramped. I was interview by Mrs. Corboyle (i hope I spelled it right) and by Coleen in the Exit interview. They were both very nice. I had two tour guides they were very informative and seems enthusiastic. My interview was very relax and very conversational because Mrs. Corboyle is actually a Chairman of the External Affairs so we talk a lot about my experience in Philly and getting lost in New Jersey....yeah long story.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 50min
Location of Interview: in the new Builing at Elkins Park
Number of Interviewers: ( 1 )

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 2 Students
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 7/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Smile! Relax and it helps if you practice answering possible questions in front of the mirror.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum and practiced via mock interviews and in front of the mirror the night before.

What positively impressed you: The new building is very nice and they are building a new Student Recration Center.

What negatively impressed you: how informal our Financial Aid meeting was. It was in the cafeteria.
What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing

Interview Questions

What was the most difficult question you were asked: I don't remember anything difficult

Specific Questions

Question 1: What was your career choice before optometry?

Question 2: Why Optometry?

Question 3: ....

[What did you wish you had known ahead of time: That it was going to be a closed file interview.

what is the difference b/w closed file interview and open file interview... :confused:
thx

My GPA: 3.4
OAT AA: 340
OAT TS: 370
Many extracurriculars but did NOT shadow an optometrist! doh :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

what is OAT AA and what is OAT TS?
i know the OAT is for the Optometry entrance exam, but what are difference in the the AA and TS?
thx

Trenty said:
what is the difference b/w closed file interview and open file interview... :confused:
thx

Closed file interview: The interviewer has little to no information about you other than your name and maybe your hometown. This can be a good or bad thing: if you have some less-than-stellar grades, they won't immediately know about those until you tell them. But, it can be a bad thing because their only impression of you comes from that interview. If you have great EC's or something of interest in your app, YOU have to bring those up because they don't even know they exist.

Open file interview: The interviewer has seen your file, read your essays, etc. and perhaps, has it sitting in his/her lap while they interview you. Again, good and bad things about this, see above.

what is OAT AA and what is OAT TS?
i know the OAT is for the Optometry entrance exam, but what are difference in the the AA and TS?
thx

OAT AA is the academic average based on your scores in ALL of the subsections. OAT TS is the total science score, based on your performance in only the science portions of the test.

Does anyone else have a SUNY interview review?

USA: SUNY optometry

Date submitted: 7/12/2006
Date of interview: 7/12/2006
In-State Student? Yes

Stress Level: 5/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: early decision, this is my only school
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 10/10 (10 being best)

I had 3 interviewers who all asked me a lot of questions in succession, so I didn't have a problem worrying about talking about one question for a long time. There's a 20 minute essay before you have the interview. One interviewer was tougher than the other 2 (asked more critical questions). Dr. Johnston is really nice.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 30 minutes
Location of Interview: at SUNY optometry (bryant park in manhattan)
Number of Interviewers: 3
The interviews were held: ?
The interviews were: Open File

Tour info
The tour was given by a: no tour for early decision interview (and since I had already been to the open house)
The tourguide seemed:
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best) SUNY has the largest clinical facility (I toured it during an open house)

Tips and advice: Be yourself and relax (I agree with whoever wrote this). Be honest. Be confident about your answers.

How did you prepare for the interview: Compiled questions from this forum and answered them.

What positively impressed you: Everyone is really nice and laidback.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing really.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: That my friend worked in the admissions office. I thought it was funny when I walked in and he was the first person I saw. Regarding the interview, they really stress on visiting private optometric practices. I work at Lens Crafters as an optometric technician and I've shadowed an ophthalmologist and visit my own on a regular basis, but they kept mentioning that I should visit more practice settings for the full scope (see how they treat glaucoma, cataracts, etc.).

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: They were all pretty straightforward questions.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Do you think it is wise to shadow more optometric offices and understand the full scope before you decide whether you really want to do optometry?

Specific Questions

The questions they asked were nothing much different from what others have written on SUNY. Just be prepared to tell them why you want to do optometry, and get lots of optometric experience in terms of visiting/shadowing. There are also some questions on courses and extracurriculars.

USA: SUNY optometry

Date submitted: 7/12/2006
Date of interview: 7/12/2006
In-State Student? No

How you think you did: 9/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: early decision, this is my only school

I had 2 interviewers (Dr. Johnston and another faculty member). The interview was pretty laid back and conversational. I was surprised at how easy-going they were because I hear that the SUNY interviews tend to be more difficult/stressful than most interviews.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: a little over 30 minutes
Location of Interview: at SUNY
Number of Interviewers: 2
The interviews were held: ?

Tour info
The tour was given by a: there was no tour for early decision interview
The tourguide seemed: again, no tour, but at the open house their tour guides seemed very enthusiastic about the school

Tips and advice: Be calm and confident. If you don't know the answer to a question right away, take a moment to think about it rather than just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.

How did you prepare for the interview: I made a list of potential questions, came up with answers, and had friends and relatives interview me.

What positively impressed you: Everyone I met was very friendly, and all of the facilities are very impressive.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing- the interview went smoothly and was much less intimidating than I thought it was going to be!

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: They were all pretty straightforward questions.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: I work at a doctors office (MD, not OD) part time over the summer, and I mentioned in my essay that patients complained about their visits being very quick and impersonal, and that I wanted a profession that would allow me to spend more time with my patients. So they asked me if I thought ALL doctors were like that, and then why I thought that they spent a significantly less amount of time with their patients (it caught me off guard because the doctors in that specific practice are money-hungry, but of course that wouldn't be too appropriate to say in an interview haha). But other than that, none of the questions were all that difficult.

Specific Questions

What do you like to do for fun?
Why the rush to graduate? What are you going to do for the 6 months that you aren't in school? (I'm graduating early, that's why they asked me about it)
Explain your extracurricular activities.

All of the questions are very straightforward. Just be yourself and you'll do great! :D Any questions, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I truly thank all of you for taking your time to share your responses and experiences!

Second of all, is there anymore feedback on UHCO?

I just finished up my first year at UHCO. I honestly think they accepted almost everyone they interviewed. I would guess 90 percent of people or so because I talked to some classmates and everyone said most of the people in their interview groups got in. I had 7 people in my interview group and I think only one person didn't get in or went somewhere else. Basically I think if you got an interview at UHCO you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Just kiss Shulman's butt and tell him what a great school it is......

ODhopeful said:
I just finished up my first year at UHCO. I honestly think they accepted almost everyone they interviewed. I would guess 90 percent of people or so because I talked to some classmates and everyone said most of the people in their interview groups got in. I had 7 people in my interview group and I think only one person didn't get in or went somewhere else. Basically I think if you got an interview at UHCO you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Just kiss Shulman's butt and tell him what a great school it is......

Thank you for the info! :)

I saw Shulman a few times when I was at UH. He is a very nice guy, although I did not have a chance to have a conversation with him. I heard he is very close with his students and cares a lot about the student body.

hi,

i'm starting at nova this fall, actually starting this sunday. my gpa was 3.15, my OAT was 370, and i had did a lot of volunteer work in research labs for 3 years, in addition to holding office positions in student organizations.

my gpa was low, but my OAT's made up for that, and I told the interviewers that I loved out of classroom school activities. I didn't say outright, "Oh by the way, the reason my GPA was low is because I was busy doing....such and such" That probably won't impress them. If I did, they would probably think I couldn't prioritize.

But instead, I told them a story that let them know I was multidemensional...just in case they question my low gpa. I had a deep commit extracurricular leadership/involvement as well as classwork. In reality, my resume told them, but I expressing my passion. I knew I needed to convince them that I knew a good candidate is not just motivated by high grades.

If you are borderline on either gpa or OAT scores, I think the interview should be your make or break. Also very important, is the tour. the interview begins right when you step onto their campus, not just in the private room when you are being questioned face to face. keep that in mind when you are touring their campus.

in the interview, they asked me to talk about myself first...so i told them what activities and interests I had over the course of the college career. they want to know who you are and how you prioritize and balance your interests with your responsibilities...

after at least 10 to 15 minutes of lite chatter, they asked me 1 of 2 questions. 1. Why optometry? and then 2. Why nova?

I won't go into detail about my answers, because ultimately you have to come up with your own...but these questions are the most obvious ones you can think of anyway.

Just make sure you stay true to who you are as a person and give them a reason to pick you over the hundreds of other candidates. Make sure you let them know that you want to be an Optometrists first and foremost, and not because you don't have the grades for dental or med school.

State specific reasons that are not related to superficial reasons. Bad answers include: "Optometrists have good pay or less work/school than dental or med school." Also don't make open statements, without backing it up. Don't say you want to be at NOVA because you think its a good school...and leave it at that. give them specific aspects of their school that you like, aspects that will help you become a better person/optometrist.

Laugh, engage the interviewers, ask questions you can't look up online, nod, be enthusiastic/curious, use your hands when talking, make eye contact...make them like you. at the end of the day they will have seen several candidates, and they are only going to pick 1 or 2 out of ever 5.

in the end, the interview was only 30 minutes, but it was capped at a max of 30 minutes...its very important that you present yourself as a well rounded person, who is capable of communicating a story or problem to anyone...young or old, educated or not...Do you have the qualities of a someone who will be trusted to give sound, safe medical advice and treatment to all types of people? Don't rely on your grades or scores to get you in...

there is a website for predental students to use as a guide to how some schools are selecting their accepted students...

http://dentistry.dissectors.com/

...i looked at nova's dental class, and some students with good scores/gpa's aren't getting in, while students with lower standards are accepted...book worms who can't express themselves or conduct themselves underpressure, may not be good candidates to be health professionals. Ask yourself, "are you skilled enough (articulately, intellectually, and emotionally) to not just break the bad news to a patient going blind, but also to persuade that patient, who happens to be very poor, in debt, living pay check to pay check with 5 kids to feed, to spend more money on surgery for their eyes...

What exactly would you say? you have 1 minute to respond!

<--- that might be an interview question at ANY school. if you can do that, then great! just don't be a too cocky in the interview! hehe. i suggest you research probable questions any med school would ask you and have your own original answers for them.

let me know if you have any other questions about NOVA or other optometry related things. keep in mind that i will try to help you as best i can, without giving you my own personal opinions and answers to interview questions.

~kinchung

kinchung said:
i'm starting at nova this fall, actually starting this sunday.

Congrats on being accepted to Nova! :thumbup:
Nova starts school on Sunday?! :eek: Why Sunday? Is it like this for other optometry schools?

kinchung said:
i had did a lot of volunteer work in research labs for 3 years, in addition to holding office positions in student organizations.

What kind of research labs? How many student organizations did you participate in? Did you also shadow or worked for other optometrists as well?

kinchung said:
in the interview, they asked me to talk about myself first...so i told them what activities and interests I had over the course of the college career.

Did you have other interests besides optometry?

kinchung said:
after at least 10 to 15 minutes of lite chatter, they asked me 1 of 2 questions. 1. Why optometry? and then 2. Why nova?

What other schools did you apply besides Nova?

i didn't apply to other schools. i grew up 30 minutes away from nova, so being close to family and the ocean is great. if i didn't make it into nova, i would have taken a year off and tried upenn, new england, and texas - houston...

i was interested in veterinary school, but the competition was way too high for me and the pay is lousy. i get more satisfaction from helping ppl anyway. but i still really like animals. i majored in zoology...

sunday is just orientation, but its the kickoff of school. no school on weekends i hope!

i worked in animal research at the university of florida. animal husbandry for alligators and fish. i did experiments of fish mating behavior, i disected baby gators, i created slides for histology...i did lots of random stuff from sophmore through senior year

i did shadow an optometrist. i probably clocked like 15 hours, just watching the optometrists do his rotations and take appointments.

kittyn said:
Congrats on being accepted to Nova! :thumbup:
Nova starts school on Sunday?! :eek: Why Sunday? Is it like this for other optometry schools?

What kind of research labs? How many student organizations did you participate in? Did you also shadow or worked for other optometrists as well?

Did you have other interests besides optometry?

What other schools did you apply besides Nova?

what is the difference between an open file and closed file interview?

diva15 said:
what is the difference between an open file and closed file interview?

open file means they have all of your transcripts, OAT's, LOR and personal statements in front of them. in these interviews be prepared to do damage control, because you may be asked about any questionable stats/lack of ec's.

closed file means that the interviewers have not reviewed your files. they should know nothing about you. be prepared to answer more open ended "why optometry? and tell me about yourself" questions.

i always asked when i sat down for the interview if it was open or closed file, to help me get my bearings. if they said "closed" i would say "well in that case, i have a 4.0 gpa with a 400 OAT" i always got a little laugh because of the way i said it, you could tell i was not a 4.0 :laugh: . good times

good luck :luck:

iiiimonica said:
open file means they have all of your transcripts, OAT's, LOR and personal statements in front of them. in these interviews be prepared to do damage control, because you may be asked about any questionable stats/lack of ec's.

closed file means that the interviewers have not reviewed your files. they should know nothing about you. be prepared to answer more open ended "why optometry? and tell me about yourself" questions.

i always asked when i sat down for the interview if it was open or closed file, to help me get my bearings. if they said "closed" i would say "well in that case, i have a 4.0 gpa with a 400 OAT" i always got a little laugh because of the way i said it, you could tell i was not a 4.0 :laugh: . good times

good luck :luck:

Thank you for the clarification!

Is it always appropriate to ask the interviewer if the file is open or closed?

what is LOR stand for?

do you know how to fill out the dmv vision form

USA: UAB

Date of interview: 09/15/2006
In-State Student? No

School Impressions

I was super nervous since this was my first interview, but everyone was SOO nice! I didn't meet one person that was not smiling. They made the whole day fun and relaxing. I was very impressed.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: about 30 mins
Location of Interview: Conference Room
Number of Interviewers: ( 3 )
The interviews were held: 3 on 1

There was also a short academic interview that was open file just to discuss grades and scores. It only took about 15 minutes.

Tour info
The tour was given by: 2 students

Tips and advice: Just smile and have fun! They're not scary!

How did you prepare for the interview: I read the brochure about the school so if they asked me any questions about it I wouldn't sound like an idiot. But for the most part I just tried to relax and let my mind work.

What positively impressed you: The students that I met reminded me a lot of the students here at UGA. They were friendly, helpful and down to earth. The staff knew that we were nervous so they were really great about talking to us and helping us be as comfortable as possible.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: I got there at 11am but didn't have my actual interview till 2pm.

Interview Questions

What was the most difficult question you were asked: There were no difficult questions really.

Specific Questions

Question 1: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Question 2: Why didn't you want go to med school?

USA: SUNY Opt

Date of interview: 10/4/2006
In-State Student? Yes

How you think you did: 9.5/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions

The interview went through nicely. People were friendly and I did not have any trouble finding the answers I asked. Important thing is to be honest and be prepared to answer why you chose optometry.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: about 30 mins
Location of Interview: Conference Room
Number of Interviewers: ( 3 )
The interviews were held: 3 on 1

Before the interview I was asked to write a brief essay. The essay's topic was open ended and was meant to analyze the applicants' thoughts and beliefs.

Tour info
The tour was given by: 1 faculty member

Tips and advice: Be prepared! Know what you're going to say ahead of time. These guys are sharks. They will eat you alive if they smell any hint of hesitation or weakness.

How did you prepare for the interview: Prepared a list of possible questions they might ask and answered them.

What positively impressed you: The facility is modern and cutting-edged. It has the newest toys out there for optometry and even opthalmology. The vertical campus is really nice as well. The whole New York City scene also impresses me.

What negatively impressed you: Poor TV reception in the waiting room.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: nothing.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: What do you think about the current Afghan situation?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Do you know who's running for the upcoming NY state senate election?

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why not opthalmology?

Question 2: Why did I go to my particular university?

Question 3: What are your hobbies?

Hi, dear Canshman:
I am a new member here. I just finished my interview at UHCO today and the assistant dean told me that the result would be available within one week.
How long did you wait for your admission letter after your interview?
Many thanks:)

University of Houston

Date submitted: 11/2005
Date of interview: 1/06
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Neutral

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 8/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 8/10
What is your ranking of this schools location: 6/10 (10 being best)

The interview day was good, but I was not particuarly impressed with the interview itself. My interview consisted of a professor and a student. The professor was late to the interview. Halfway through the interview the professor had to leave because of clinic duties.

My overall perception of the school was good, although apparently not in a very good area. I was impessed with the professionalism and diversity of the students.

Interview basics
Length of Interview:20 minutes
Location of Interview: Houston, TX
Number of Interviewers:2, one student and one professor
The interviews were held: Two-on-One

Tour info
The tour was given by a: a staff member and assistant dean
The tourguide seemed: staff member not so enthusiastic. asst dean was enthusiastic.
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 8/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Be yourself and just relax. Be happy. If they like you, great. If not, there is not too much you can do about it.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed this forum, discussed with my optometrist what is good/not good to say.

What positively impressed you: The assistant dean was super nice.

What negatively impressed you: The head dean wasn't there. Not impressed by the professor who interviewed me. Student affairs office wasn't particularly friendly.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: The campus is HUGE (ie, city buses run through the campus!). Be sure to know exactly where you're going by going to their website and looking at their campus map. There's no way you could walk the whole campus if you didn't know where it is.

Interview Questions:

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Tell us about yourself.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: Tell us about a personal challenge.

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why Optometry?

At the end of the interview, the asst dean goes over your file with you and asks you if you have any questions.

By the way, I got in.

Hi,
I am a new member here. I just finished my interview at UHCO today and the assistant dean told me that the result would be available within one week.
How long did you wait for your admission letter after your interview?
Many thanks :)

UHCO

Date submitted: 09/12/2006
Date of interview: 10/06/2006
In-State Student? No

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 8/10 (10 being best)

The faculty and students made the entire day stress free. The presentation lecture was a bit long, however you recieved a nice tour and lunch afterwards. The facilities/clinics are beautiful.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 25 min
Location of Interview: a professor's office
Number of Interviewers: ( 2 )
The interviews were held: Two-on-One (One professor & one student)

Tour info
The tour was given by an: Assistant Dean

Tips and advice: Don't sweat. It's really laid back.

How did you prepare for the interview: Browsed the SDN forum and read through the school's pamphlets

What positively impressed you: The staff was sincerely nice and and the facilities are beautiful.

What negatively impressed you: Climate.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Nothing

Interview Questions

What do you do for fun?

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why optometry?

Question 2: Why not medicine? Why not dentistry?

Question 3: What would you do if you are having trouble in class?

Hi,
I have interview next week at SCCO. Did they ask to write and essay if so what are some topics. Do they also expect you to know a lot about specifics of optometry?

Indiana University

Date submitted: early September 2006
Date of interview: 10/13/2006
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Positively, for the most part
Stress Level: 3/10 (10 being highest)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 9.5/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9.5/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 9/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 9.5/10 (10 being best)

Bloomington is the most beautiful campus! Saying its beautiful is even an understatement. The interview was relatively relaxed, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. They make you feel very comfortable.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 1st interview - 40 minutes, 2nd interview - 20 minutes
Location of Interview: 1st - faculty lounge, 2nd - student affairs office
Number of Interviewers: 1st - two, 2nd - 1
The interviews were held: 1st - two professors (one was actually the director of admissions which i didn't know until the interview was over), 2nd - asst. director of student affairs
The interviews were: 1st - closed file, 2nd - open file

Tour info
The tour was given by an: 1st year Student
The tourguide seemed: Enthusiastic and really honest
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 9/10 (10 being best)

Tips and advice: Think about possible questions they can ask you and practice your answers. EAT BREAKFAST!

How did you prepare for the interview: Researched on IU's website, looked at possible interview questions and thought about how i would answer, walked around the campus the day before the interview to feel more comfortable in my surroundings

What positively impressed you: Beautiful campus, amazing systems-based learning curriculum, new eyecare clinic, very friendly faculty and students, 4th year rotation sites in Hong Kong and Mexico

What negatively impressed you: NOTHING!!!!

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: More optometry current events

Interview Questions

What was the topic of your research in your undergrad?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What are current events in Optometry?

Specific Questions

Question 1: Why optometry?

Question 2: What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Question 3: Why do you think you'd make a good optometrist?

i interviewed with them last year and was accepted into the program there but chose another school instead, overall i think the facilities and technology available to students at SUNY is top notch and it is by no means a bad school. but to be honest, i feel the SUNY interview is the hardest one out of all the interviews i've had. the interview a bit intimidating since it is open file and you are being interviewed by 3-4 faculty members all at once. i found it hard to be myself and express myself correctly towards their questions and i walked out of it feeling pretty stressed and thikning that it didn't go so well ....but i did get accepted in the end, which was kind of weird. so don't be intimidated by what i've told you and keep your head up.

oh and they had me write an small quip about a life experience before the interview and they ask you about that later on. i conveniently had writer's block which caused me more stress, haha.

some of the general questions they asked me were, why SUNY? what are the important aspects that you look for when you apply to an optometry school? short and long term goals in your career as an optometrist. hmm...some stuff on your life experiences, inquiries into your grades, extracurricular activities ...favourite past times? that's about all i can remember, that should be sufficient for you to prepare, but wish you the best for your interview and christmas break.

May I ask what school you chose over SUNY and why? Thank you

USA: Southern California College of Optometry (SCCO)

Date submitted: 09/01/2006
Date of interview: 10/21/2006
In-State Student? Yes

The interview impressed me: It was alright, better than I expected.

School Impressions

First we had to write a 30 minute essay on professionalism using one characteristic from a list of 3 they provided (everyone got a different one). Then we had a 30 minute financial aid talk, and then we split into 4 groups. My group went on a 1-hour tour with a 1st year student first, and then we did our interviews for about an hour (a little less), and then we had a 15-min consultation to make sure all of our application was completed and that we were on track, and what would happen next. We'll know our acceptance or placement on alternate list or rejection next week - they're mailing out letters on Monday (interview was Saturday).

Interview basics
Length of Interview: about 45 minutes?
Location of Interview: In SCCO's Building D (Admin offices)
Number of Interviewers: 2 - one 2nd year student, one faculty
The interviews were held: 2 on 1
The interviews were: closed file except for essays and optional one-page resume of awards and activities

Tour info
The tour was given by a: 1st year student

Tips and advice: Just make sure you're on your best behavior at all times, keeping good posture, smiling, and being kind and considerate to all people.

How did you prepare for the interview: Didn't have much time except the night before - looked over possible questions from SDN, my school's career services handouts on interview tips, and some other websites. I had also attended an interview workshop hosted by career services at which we practiced a few interview questions and critiqued each other. I also checked out the AOA, COA, and a couple other websites, and I read the news headlines. But I still wasn't really well prepared for the current events and legislation and issues surrounding optometry questions.

What positively impressed you: Everyone was really relaxed and friendly, we laughed a lot.

What negatively impressed you: Some of the questions were a bit hard to answer.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Well, I wish I could've prepared answers to the questions a little better, I didn't have much time.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: How cold is it in Canada?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What do you think you could contribute to SCCO?

Specific Questions

Question 1: What is your opinion on HMO's?

Question 2: Did you consider careers in other health professions, like pharmacy, dentistry, medicine, podiatry? Why not ophthalmology?

Question 3: What are some current issues in the news relating to optometry?

I was admitted to SCCO, received my letter today (they sent it on Monday, I received it on Tuesday!).

Now to pay $500 to hold my seat! =)

Date submitted: 10/26/06
Date of interview: 10/10/06
In-State Student? No

The interview impressed me: Negatively
How you think you did: 5/10 (10 being best)

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 6/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 3/10
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life:7/10 (10 being best)

I constantly got the impression that the interviewers didn't want to be there and that the school only wanted my money and weren't interested in me as a student. The interview was very formal and rather intimidating.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: ~45 minutes
Location of Interview: In one of 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the administrative building
Number of Interviewers: ( 3, one of which was a 3rd year student )
The interviews were held: Three-on-One

Tour info
The tour was given by a: student
The tourguide seemed: Preoccupied with her own classes/ uninterested in the tour.
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best). Really this is the only thing I think SCCO has going for it.

Tips and advice: Be prepared to be rocked in the interview. I was completely honest with them and it seemed like the answers I gave weren't the ones they wanted to hear. (I gave the same answers, btw, at Ohio State and was accepted on the spot there)

How did you prepare for the interview: SDN, had my wife ask mock questions.

What positively impressed you: Facilities

What negatively impressed you: Again, the overall impression that the school was interested in my tuition money and not me as a student.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: There really aren't any places to get a bite to eat nearby. Cal State Fullerton doesn't accept credit cards and I took a shuttle bus from the airport so I couldn't easily find lunch.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Discuss a problem in optometry; something that will stand in your way as a future optometrist.

What was the most difficult question you were asked: You've applied to 3 state schools and SCCO, why would you want to come to a private institution?

Specific Questions

Question #1: Why not medicine?
Question #2: What other schools did you apply to?
Question #3: What specific criteria to you use to decide what school to go to?
Question #4: If you were to get in here, how would you pay for school?

Really the majority of the interview was all about "why SCCO," which kind of bothered me because it was closed file and it was very difficult to bring up my accomplishments and ECs. I was very excited about the school when I got there, but left with disappointment about the whole experience. Even if I'd gotten in (I was waitlisted) I wouldn't accept a seat because its not for me.

Date submitted: 10/26/06
Date of interview: 10/21/06
In-State Student? Yes

The interview impressed me: Positively! It was much more relaxed than I had expected.

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 10/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: NA
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life:9/10 (10 being best)

Everyone I met was so nice. The interview was relatively relaxed compared to what I expected and what I heard from others. My interviewer, Dr. Sanders was really nice and not at all intimidating.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 25 minutes (mine was a lot shorter than the others, I have no idea why except that my interviewer asked less questions)
Location of Interview: D Building
Number of Interviewers: 2, one student and one professor
The interviews were held: two-on-One

Tour info
The tour was given by a: student
The tourguide seemed: Really nice and very informative. She was a first year student and gave a lot of great information about what to expect.
In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best).

Tips and advice: Relax! This is just an opportunity for the school to get to know you better and vice versa. Do some preparation before hand, but as long as you seem comfortable and confident you should do fine.

How did you prepare for the interview: Look up the SCCO interview tips thread and review the questions listed, it basically covers every question I was asked.

What positively impressed you: Everything!

What negatively impressed you: I can't really think of anything.

What did you wish you had known ahead of time: Not to worry so much. Also, eat right before you go because it is a long process and you get hungry by the end.

Interview Questions

What was the most interesting question you were asked: Do you read the newspaper?

What was the most difficult question you were asked: What do you know about insurance?

Specific Questions

Question #1: Why optometry?
Question #2: What kind of practice do you want?
Question #3: Why SCCO?
Question #4: Are you prepared for the rigorous course work?

Overall, the interview was a great experience and I can't wait to start at SCCO next fall!

Date submitted: 10/26/2006
Date of interview: 10/18/2006
In-State Student? Yes

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 9/10
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 9/10...I loved this school, but I also loved Boston
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life:10/10 (10 being best)

I am a reapplicant. Last year, I interviewed at SUNY and Boston and this year applied to and interviewed only at SCCO. The interview was pretty laid back and everyone in the admissions office is super nice. If you get an interview, just try to relax.

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 60 minutes
Location of Interview: Conference room in the admissions office
Number of Interviewers: 3 (two optometrists and a second-year student )
The interviews were: Closed file. They do not have access to your grades or OAT scores. Before you enter the interview room, all the interviewers read your LORs and essays.

Tour info
The tour was given by a: the student that interviewed me
The tourguide seemed: Very enthusiastic about the school. She was completely honest in telling me that SCCO had not been her first choice, but ultimately, she is happy with the decision she made.

In my opinion, the facilities rank: 10/10 (10 being best): The campus is small but clean, modern, and safe.

How did you prepare for the interview: Talked to my boss (an optometrist), read SDN posts, looked thoroughly at SCCO's website, read through current events on the AOA and COA websites, and read through some archived Review of Optometry articles.

What positively impressed you: The staff is one of the friendliest I've ever met, especially Ms. Sanchez (assistant) and Ms. Breffle (financial aid). They totally put you at ease.

What negatively impressed you: Nothing really.

Interview Questions
Here's some of the ones I remember....(within the 60 minute interview, they fired questions at me one after another without a pause)

1. Why optometry?
2. What do you know about the scope of optometry and where do you see optometry in the future?
3. What are some of the biggest current events facing the optometric field?
4. What do you think are the differences between an optometrist and ophthalmology?
5. What are optometrists allowed to do while practicing in California?
6. What do you believe will be your biggest adjustment during your first year?
7. Do you think you can handle the work load?
8. What do you like the best about working for an optometrist?
9. What do you know about the different specialties of optometry? (vision therapy, sports vision, low vision, pediatrics, etc.)
10. What kind of setting would you like to practice in and why? (private, group, military, research, etc.)
11. If you were having trouble with your classes, how would you deal with it?
12. Did you have any problems with any of your professors in college. And if so, how did you deal with it?
13. Why wouldn't you want to become an ophthamologist?
14. How are you going to deal with prioritizing your committments to family and friends once classes start?
15. What if, as an optometrist, you have a differing diagnosis than a referring ophthalmologist...how would you deal with it.
16. What characteristic traits are necessary to be an optometrist?

**I was a business major in college and worked for several years so a lot of the rest of my questions were focused on why I changed careers

The questions from the second-year student were simple ones:
1. How do you deal with stress?
2. What do you do for fun?

Other notes:
Count on being at SCCO for at least 3 hours. The first 30 minutes is spent writing an informal 1-page essay. My topic was on professionalism and was really easy. The next 30 minutes is spent discussing financial aid. Then comes the 60 minute interview, and finally, a quick meeting with the VP of admissions to go over final details of your application (basically to tell you if you're missing anything).

My stats were:
Pre-req GPA: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.3
TS OAT: 320
AA OAT: 310
**my OAT scores were pretty pathetic...but I think you just need to get over a 300 to be considered...thank goodness!
6 LORs (3 from professors, 2 from practicing optometrist, 1 from Bausch & Lomb)
Experience: Optometric assistant for almost 3 years

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND I HOPE THIS POST HELPS!

Just so y'all know... I'm working on getting the Optometry Interview Feedback put on the main SDN Interview page. (with Med, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Pod)

That way, all this info will be searchable and you won't have to scroll through schools you didnt' apply to.

Optometry Interview Feedback will be formally added this weekend :)

Enjoy !!

To access: go to the main SDN webpage (www.studentdoctor.net) and scroll down to the Interview Feedback Section.

Optometry Interview Feedback is up and running on the main SDN webpage !!

If anyone wants to cut and paste their interview info from this thread into the interview feedback section.. it would be greatly appreciated by other users :)

So, I am closing this thread for now.
Canadian schools to be added soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.