Other OT-Related Information Interview Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbOT626

Occupational Therapy Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! I think I am having issues with my interviewing skills. To give some background info- I applied to 7 schools this round, and I have gotten interviews at all of them. I have been waitlisted at 3, have not heard a final decision from 1 and have 2 outstanding interviews tomorrow and next week.

Georgia State: Waitlist (denied at later date after filling program)
Wingate University: Waitlist
Medical University of South Carolina: Waitlist
Brenau University: No decision yet
Milligan College: Interview tomorrow (2/22/19)
Emory & Henry University: Interview (3/2/19)

I am feeling pretty defeated because it seems that every interview I go to, I get waitlisted at- and I would really like to just get into 1 school this round (which seems like it's going to be impossible). Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is there something that I could be doing better possible during my interviews? I'm qualified enough on paper to get the interview scheduled, but I guess I just don't pull through during them. Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you already interview at Brenau?

Yes I did! Back in December. They had not made decisions on all interviewees yet when I emailed them a couple of weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied back in October and I sent them an email two weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything yet.

I applied back in October and I sent them an email two weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything yet.
I talked to Ms. Fowler on 2/4, this is what she emailed me back: We have had an unprecedented number of applications for the Fall 2019 track and will require longer than usual to process each of these. We have not yet settled on an official Wait List as we are still interviewing applicants.

There was more info regarding my personal application, but that is an update for you!

I talked to Ms. Fowler on 2/4, this is what she emailed me back: We have had an unprecedented number of applications for the Fall 2019 track and will require longer than usual to process each of these. We have not yet settled on an official Wait List as we are still interviewing applicants.

There was more info regarding my personal application, but that is an update for you!

I interviewed in December as well for brenau and got my acceptance last week via email from Nancy, I won’t be accepting my seat so I hope that helps you

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed in December as well for brenau and got my acceptance last week via email from Nancy, I won’t be accepting my seat so I hope that helps you

Thank you!!!

Is Ms. Fowler the admissions counselor?

It’s really hard to give feedback without actually knowing what you talk about in your interviews.

But consider this, are you saying the exact same thing at every interview? Are you talking about the same experiences, if so change it up. I just noticed I did that last year, and didn’t get in anywhere.

Make sure your answers don’t sound like you’ve been practicing them in the bathroom mirror for hours.

I’ve noticed a lot of candidates that get in their first year have stories that are really inspiring. So think about why OT inspires you, and think about what you can bring to the field of OT and to that schools program.

Also I was told by a program advisor once to make sure you relate every answer back to OT, no matter what the question is. They really want to know that you understand what OT is, and why you chose this field when you could be anything. So what is it thank you think sets OT a part from nursing, or any other healthcare field for that matter.

Idk if this helps at all, but I’m trying!

This does help! Thank you!!

I'm really hoping my answer worked this year in my interview. For the interview process I had 3 separate interviews each 8 minutes. 2 of them had the same question, the other was a scenario. Since I was a re-applicant I knew what the question was going to be for 2 of the 3 interviews. The question was what are the characteristics of an OT. A couple weeks before my interview I recalled when I first read the description of OT on the schools website (this was probably about 4 years ago), and the qualities/skills mentioned in this particular paragraph (ie compassionate, good listener, resourceful, love of arts, etc). I then went on to share personal stories of how I had those qualities. I honestly didn't mention anything about my observation hours, but I feel like my answers were personal and showed my passion. Plus it seems like since I knew the schools website, I had done my research and truly wanted to attend. My interview was a week ago, I still probably have a couple of weeks until I hear back but I'm hoping my refined answers this year leave me at an advantage.

Reactions: 1 user