General Admissions & OTCAS interview help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT_anthro

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm starting to get some invitations to interview and, although my university has a great career services office that is helping me with basic interview skills, our pre-health advisors know basically nothing about OT and OT programs. (They didn't even know there were two different degrees, MSOT and OTD, until I told them...) So, I don't really feel like I have many nearby resources to lean on as I prepare to interview.

I've been doing a lot of googling and have found some OT blogs, articles, and even YouTube channels that seem to have great advice, but I thought I'd ask if anyone who has recently interviewed and/or is a current OTD student had any advice to offer? I also really want to build a thread for others to use in the future, as interviewing feels super daunting--at least from where I'm at right now. I'll add the helpful resources I find as I come across them, too!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So here are some tips I felt helped me during my interviews:

1) Be yourself! I know it sounds cliche, but being genuine is the best thing you can do. And just remember if a school does not accept you for being yourself, then that school is not a good fit.
2) Review your resume and know it well. When they ask you questions, you only have a short moment to formulate an answer so by knowing your resume from top to bottom will show you are prepared and passionate about the field.
3) If group interview, be sure to listen to other applicants. I know they are looking for team players and active listeners, so if you can incorporate a previous answer with your answer, it will be impressive. For example, As _______ mentioned how OT lets us _____ I believe that my experience as ______.
4) Ask questions! A majority of students are shy and or do not know how to ask. You will stand out if you do. This is an interview for them to get to know you and vice versa. (i.e. What does your program offer others do not?) So research about the school.

Good luck and you will do fine! :)

Reactions: 3 users
So here are some tips I felt helped me during my interviews:

1) Be yourself! I know it sounds cliche, but being genuine is the best thing you can do. And just remember if a school does not accept you for being yourself, then that school is not a good fit.
2) Review your resume and know it well. When they ask you questions, you only have a short moment to formulate an answer so by knowing your resume from top to bottom will show you are prepared and passionate about the field.
3) If group interview, be sure to listen to other applicants. I know they are looking for team players and active listeners, so if you can incorporate a previous answer with your answer, it will be impressive. For example, As _______ mentioned how OT lets us _____ I believe that my experience as ______.
4) Ask questions! A majority of students are shy and or do not know how to ask. You will stand out if you do. This is an interview for them to get to know you and vice versa. (i.e. What does your program offer others do not?) So research about the school.

Good luck and you will do fine! :)
Amazing, thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user