Interview invite question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TN86

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know this question has been asked before in the ERAS section but i'd like to hear from some FM folks if possible. I applied broadly on September 15th to pretty much every FM program i'm eligible for (need visa). So far i've heard back from 4 programs, 3 invites and 1 rejection. It seems like everyone else already received the bulk of their interviews, do FM programs generally fill their interview slots by November? Any idea why I haven't received more rejections by now? And Is it too early to start messaging program directors/coordinators?
I thought I had a decent app and expected to have more interviews by now so i'm startin to get a bit worried. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit early to get worried. Most FM programs receive hundreds of applications from IMG applicants, and to wade through those takes time (unless filters are applied). Can't speak for other programs, but in our program we're typically done reviewing most applications at about this time due to filters. We have most of our interview slots scheduled. This is not to say that if you haven't heard from other programs by now that you will not receive an interview invite.

There are people that don't accept the interview invite for various reasons, and people that cancel their interview date as well. Then we go back to other applicants to offer them interviews to fill our slots. It depends on where your application falls (top of the list, middle, bottom, reject...). My concern is that you didn't say "I have a strong app", you said "I have a decent app". Perhaps a decent app is not enough for programs that receive many strong apps.

Hang in there, it's too soon to start freaking out. Getting interview invites is a good sign. The interview process is time-consuming and takes a lot of effort by a lot of people. We don't invite applicants just for fun, the ones we invite are the ones that are seriously considered. If you got 3 interview invites, those are 3 good chances to match into FM.

Reactions: 1 user
That's reassuring, thank you for your response. I actually got another one today ! :highfive:
Since a lot of programs are wrapping things up soon do you think it would help (or hurt) to send an email to my top programs that I haven't heard from yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say they're wrapping things up, it's a continuous process, but the stronger applications get picked early and if all the interview slots are filled then applicants won't hear anything until later in the season when people start cancelling dates.

Anyway, yes, send an e-mail but make it short and to the point. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Reactions: 1 user
That's reassuring, thank you for your response. I actually got another one today ! :highfive:
Since a lot of programs are wrapping things up soon do you think it would help (or hurt) to send an email to my top programs that I haven't heard from yet?
I'm going to grit my teeth for saying this -- but you may want to call/check with UTSouthwestern -- they're usually so hard up for candidates and usually don't fill that anyone who is motivated enough to call may get a serious consideration. The program was lousy a few years ago (like up until 2015) but there's a new Chairman and hopefully he'll make it better.