Interviewing and not getting acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODpookie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done interviews at any of the schools and NOT been accepted? If so did they give you a reason?

Members don't see this ad.

this hasn't happened to me, but schools do not accept everyone they interview. they interview more than they accept, so that means that there are hundreds of students who are interviewed each year and do not get into a certain school. if you have multiple interviews though, you definitely will get accepted into one of them

I know that not 100% of people interviewed will get accepted but I was more wondering about the chances. I may be wrong but to me it seems that as long as you have decent scores and all you prerequisites done you have a fairly high chance of getting in if you're invited to interview. This is also keeping in mind that they presumably give acceptance to many more people than are actually in the class since a lot of people will choose to go to other schools also.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools that are popular offer double acceptances of the seats they have because once berkeley comes out with its acceptances (they're allowed to be picky due to the high caliber of applicants), people from scco and suny + other schools will have seats open that need to be filled. thus the whole waitlist thing too. i know that a lot of the schools interview less than half the many applicants they get because the staff is small and interviews are time consuming. i would say its like a 75% chance of getting in with an interview. but if you browse the forum's search, you'll see there are plenty who are rejected after an interview and vent on the forums

Berkeley interviews about twice as many people as it accepts. Not sure if the proportion is higher or lower for other schools. I think schools accept at least 50% of the people who interview, mostly because it's costly to interview people.