Interviews/acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capsnduck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My paranoia is getting the best of me. I am curious if anyone happens to know if schools inform you if you are not getting an invitation for an interview or if you are not accepted. I just sent in my applications last week, but am checking my email compulsively. Will they let me know if they are not interested or will I just never hear anything back?
I am a somewhat unconventional applicant. I dropped out of university fifteen years ago and have been working full time for an optometrist since. I returned two years ago to take all of the prerequisite courses and obtain my degree. I received a 360 on the OATs and have a 3.65 GPA since returning to university, but I have a 2.9 overall GPA. I have no extracurriculars since I h been working, but tons of experience in the field, both clinically and administratively.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely stand a chance! Since you just recently sent in your applications then it might take a little longer than a week to hear back; however, if you're still feeling uncertain about it all and your paranoia doesn't subside, then just call the schools up and ask.

Best of luck!

I am in the same situation. However, I only applied two schools though. J have heard back from one of them but still waiting for my first choice. If you don't mind could I ask which schools are you waiting for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to NOVA, NECO, and Ohio State. I received notice from both NOVA and NECO that they have received my completed application (I heard from NOVA yesterday and NECO emailed me Sunday), so it has not been very long. I'm just worried that if I don't get an opportunity to interview with those schools or don't get accepted it might not leave me enough time to apply elsewhere. That's why I'm wondering if schools would notify you if you stand no chance.
What schools did you apply to?

I am applying Houston and San Antonio. I heard back from San Antonio for interview after a day. I think you can wait a few week and call. houston is my top choice so I check my email like crazy.

You sound like a great applicant! So far, OSU is about 2/3 full, so there is still plenty of space (they take 64.) It took them 2 weeks after I sent in my optomcas application to receive the supplemental and then after I submitted that it was about 3 weeks before I received an interview invite. Nova was much faster, but I applied in late September which I think is a slower time for apps. I received my supplemental from them the day after I submitted on Optomcas, and then I received an interview invite within a week of submitting it. I hope this helps! If you have any questions about either school I would be happy to answer them!

Does anyone have any information on Indiana University School of Optometry's Admission Day? What do the faculty and student panels consist of? Should I be prepared for an interview?

Thank you roush, that makes me feel a lot better. I have already received and submitted my supplementals. I saw people on the boards saying that they received interview requests within hours of submitting their application, so I was getting pretty nervous. It has been just over a week since I sent everything in, so it seems like I may still be on track.
Did you visit both OSU and Nova, and if so, what did you think? I'm not worried about the campus itself, more the program.

Yes, I visited both. I had a great time at both interviews.I am partial to OSU because I am from Ohio and I went to OSU for undergrad. I was involved in the pre-opt program and I got to learn a lot about the program and I really think it is one of the best programs out there. Their 1st time passing rate for the boards is pretty consistently above average.
Nova's program also seemed pretty good. I had heard that it had a bad reputation, so I was a little worried, but after some reading I believe that they made some changes and really improved. The girls I got to have lunch with seemed to really enjoy it there. They don't start any actual clinical work until 2nd year, but from the way they talked they got to learn a lot of the exam techniques during the first year, which I thought was pretty cool.
Honestly I think I would have been pretty happy at either school and in the end you will have an OD as long as you pass your boards. OSU made more sense for me financially, but Nova is still great choice.

I have now heard back about interviews from all three schools. I did not receive an interview at OSU, but did at Nova and NECO. It seems like it takes about as long to hear back if you are not invited for an interview as if you are.
Now I've set up my interview times, so it's time to be nervous about something else ;)