Interviews with cumGPAs in 3.0-3.3 range?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmy614

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
no MD interviews for me so far......:(

Members don't see this ad.

One for me. OOS too!

Overall 3.27
BCPM 3.29

There have also been a lot of rejections and holds, but I'm thrilled with what I've got so far.

Overall: 3.36
BCPM: 3.26
6 interviews, 3 rejections thus far. there is hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
1 MD interview for me. 3.07cum 2.93bcpm

Its definately hurting me in the interview process (knew it would, of course) but its not killing me completely. Only one rejection so far - and that was for state residency requirements. I made it past all of the screened secondaries. My numbers are a little deceptive because I also have a masters and that horrible uGPA was from a decade ago.

don't worry it'll happen!! my cum is a 3.15 and my science is a 2.95 and i have seven interviews so far, including one of my TOP choice schools. good luck to everyone, it CAN be done

don't worry it'll happen!! my cum is a 3.15 and my science is a 2.95 and i have seven interviews so far, including one of my TOP choice schools. good luck to everyone, it CAN be done

No offense, but you applied URM.

3.34 Cum, 3.14 BCPM. Three interviews (and hopefully more to come, but I'm not counting on it). Not a URM, haven't saved any babies.

No offense, but you applied URM.
First off, there is no such thing as "applying URM". It asks what your ethnicity is, and you fill it out and answer honestly. Second, this does NOT make as big of a difference as people think it does; if you look at the acceptance rates at many schools overall and URM, the minorities almost always have the same or a lower acceptance rate because people apply to schools out of their range thinking they'll get in because they're a urm. It makes barely any difference. At tufts my interviewer specifically told me that they have gotten rid of their affirmative action policy. And i got an interview there, clearly not having to do with my urm status. You say no offense at the beginning of it as though that makes up for being clearly offensive and indicating that that's the only reason i'm getting these interviews. It isn't. I thought as underdogs we'd all be able to bond and root for each other, not act like that. thanks for the support!

First off, there is no such thing as "applying URM". It asks what your ethnicity is, and you fill it out and answer honestly. Second, this does NOT make as big of a difference as people think it does; if you look at the acceptance rates at many schools overall and URM, the minorities almost always have the same or a lower acceptance rate because people apply to schools out of their range thinking they'll get in because they're a urm. It makes barely any difference. At tufts my interviewer specifically told me that they have gotten rid of their affirmative action policy. And i got an interview there, clearly not having to do with my urm status. You say no offense at the beginning of it as though that makes up for being clearly offensive and indicating that that's the only reason i'm getting these interviews. It isn't. I thought as underdogs we'd all be able to bond and root for each other, not act like that. thanks for the support!

There certainly are differences when you look at the wide-spectrum (take a look at the AAMC stats if you want), but then again we are only talking about you here. Congrats on the interviews!

I have 3 interviews and no rejections with a 3.45 Cum GPA. I know that's a little out of range, but my BCPM is 3.38. I also don't think URM status helps as much as people think. We still have to show that we're qualified to handle med school and alot of schools look at the total applicant and not just stats. But I digress. Back to my boring job!:sleep:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.... So there is hope for us after all!!:) But I also have an MCAT of 29Q to go along with my 3.23 GPA. Anyone get interviews with these kind of stats.....maybe I'm pushing it...:rolleyes:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.... So there is hope for us after all!!:) But I also have an MCAT of 29Q to go along with my 3.23 GPA. Anyone get interviews with these kind of stats.....maybe I'm pushing it...:rolleyes:
Remember that admissions aren't just about stats. If you rocked your personal statement, said something that made them think "wow, we REALLY want to learn more about pharmy!", or any of your letter writers did it for you, and your ECs are unique or amazing, any of these components can get you to your interview stage. My first Tufts interviewer said to me "When I first got your application on my desk, I looked at your basic numbers and transcript and thought "why are we interviewing this girl?" but then I looked over your whole application, and read your letters of recommendation, and understood. I have no doubt left in my mind that you could excel here." That was amazing to hear, and it also made me appreciate my letter writers so much more. Each school so far has mentioned something, my experiences, my letters, that made them realize they wanted to look more closely at me. Hopefully this will happen for you as well. Good luck!
Ohhh PS, when i said 7, i meant 8. Got another one right after that post...

Members don't see this ad :)
ahem..bump..

When I said 'no offense' I meant literally 'no offense.' I only put it in there because in today's oversensitive politically correct culture one cannot have a mature conversation about race/urm/affirmative action without offending somebody. When I said you applied URM I was only stating a fact. I am not going to get into the discussion of what specific effects URM status affords here. The bolded portion of what you wrote above is where we differ. I do not think that the acceptance rates of different races should be the same. If they are by themselves then great, but I don't think we should enforce it. I think that the most qualified people should get in period. Whether this means that the people who get in are are 99% black or 1% black, or 93% white, or 67% latino, or 100% asian, I don't care, race doesn't matter to me. I have found out the hard way that nobody is going to convince anybody about anything concerning this issue while arguing on the internet. There are thousands of threads on this site and feel free to look up the data the AMCAS has on their site (as TheRealMD mentioned). My only intention in making my original post was that the criteria and measures that apply to you do not apply to me. This was particularly in response to your phrase 'it can be done.' Having said that, I do wish you luck.

You say that "I do not think that the acceptance rates of different races should be the same. If they are by themselves then great, but I don't think we should enforce it." and i agree 100%, but my point in saying that they were the same or lower was that it's not always such an advantage, especially not as large of one as people think it is. When i was at Tufts the specifically told me that they do not use any type of affirmative action program, but I still got an interview there, because I measured up to their standards. Just because I am a different race doesn't mean that they are using a completely different set of standards.
I understand that you meant "no offense", but just so you know, it is offensive when people try to make you think that the only reason you are getting something is because you are a different race. I honestly believe that I would still have the majority of my interviews if I were white, because I still had these amazing experiences and it is the whole candidate they are looking at. It is hard to constantly hear that you are only afforded these opportunities because you were honest when you marked the race box. When I got into Princeton, my boyfriend at the time, his mother said "well, I guess they had to fill their quota"...as though they didn't have thousands of qualified applicants both black and white to choose from. But they did, and so do medical schools.

You say that "I do not think that the acceptance rates of different races should be the same. If they are by themselves then great, but I don't think we should enforce it." and i agree 100%, but my point in saying that they were the same or lower was that it's not always such an advantage, especially not as large of one as people think it is. When i was at Tufts the specifically told me that they do not use any type of affirmative action program, but I still got an interview there, because I measured up to their standards. Just because I am a different race doesn't mean that they are using a completely different set of standards.
I understand that you meant "no offense", but just so you know, it is offensive when people try to make you think that the only reason you are getting something is because you are a different race. I honestly believe that I would still have the majority of my interviews if I were white, because I still had these amazing experiences and it is the whole candidate they are looking at. It is hard to constantly hear that you are only afforded these opportunities because you were honest when you marked the race box. When I got into Princeton, my boyfriend at the time, his mother said "well, I guess they had to fill their quota"...as though they didn't have thousands of qualified applicants both black and white to choose from. But they did, and so do medical schools.

I agree with you, and I should say my argument may not specifically apply to you. From your profile you are definitely capable and I think you would probably have most of your interviews if you were white. The thing is, we will never know with this broken system. I can see how I may have been offensive and I apologize. But I guess, I get offended when people say race plays little or no role at all. In any case, this is a mute argument, go out and celebrate your new interview.:)

I may be throwing gasoline on a fire here, but I also believe that race and URM status matters a great deal in med school admissions, or at least it does in the offering of interview slots. No school will admit to a racial formula, you know, because it was found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court...but plenty of these schools have a stated mission to broaden their incoming classes, and right or wrong, one way to diversify the class is through race, and it is pretty hard to admit any black students if you don't first interview them.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I find it difficult to believe that a white applicant with your grades, profile, essays, etc., would have gotten interviews at all of the schools you have, especially Brown and Tufts and GWU...and I further believe that your ultimate competition in the admissions game is other URMs...and your stats may actually hurt you in that regard, at least your low grades may, in comparison with the URM applicant pool...

Good luck.

When I said 'no offense' I meant literally 'no offense.' I only put it in there because in today's oversensitive politically correct culture one cannot have a mature conversation about race/urm/affirmative action without offending somebody. When I said you applied URM I was only stating a fact. I am not going to get into the discussion of what specific effects URM status affords here. The bolded portion of what you wrote above is where we differ. I do not think that the acceptance rates of different races should be the same. If they are by themselves then great, but I don't think we should enforce it. I think that the most qualified people should get in period. Whether this means that the people who get in are are 99% black or 1% black, or 93% white, or 67% latino, or 100% asian, I don't care, race doesn't matter to me. I have found out the hard way that nobody is going to convince anybody about anything concerning this issue while arguing on the internet. There are thousands of threads on this site and feel free to look up the data the AMCAS has on their site (as TheRealMD mentioned). My only intention in making my original post was that the criteria and measures that apply to you do not apply to me. This was particularly in response to your phrase 'it can be done.' Having said that, I do wish you luck.
If you didn't want to 'offend,' anyone, why make a clearly smart-ass comment that you KNEW was going to provoke a reaction?

Stop whining.

oh my God...SHUT UP

GET BACK ON TOPIC

If you didn't want to 'offend,' anyone, why make a clearly smart-ass comment that you KNEW was going to provoke a reaction?
Can you read?
As I said before, "My only intention in making my original post was that the criteria and measures that apply to you do not apply to me." At first I had typed out "yea, but you are urm." Then I thought the person might get offended so I added "no offense" (It backfired). Silly me for writing literally what I meant. I only wanted to state a fact and not provoke a reaction hence the 1 true statement. A smart-ass comment would have been "Don't you think the color of your skin had anything to do with it?" or something of that nature. That is different from what you did above. You clearly wanted to offend me and knew what you said would provoke a reaction.

Stop whining.

Wow, you stupid bitch. Did my post hit a nerve or something? Since when is trying to be tactful and understanding whining? We were actually having a civil conversation trying to see each other's point of view. Tell you what, if it lets you sleep easier, you can call me a racist.

Wait I thought Asians aren't considered in the URM category right? I hope we do... LOL

Wait I thought Asians aren't considered in the URM category right? I hope we do... LOL

1. I do not think so
2. Everyone is being overly sensitive, and it is detracting from the topic. I highly doubt anything that anybody said had racial undertones (I hope:thumbdown:).

I swear I can't go a day without someone's status as a URM creeping up in the posts I read on this site. Anyway how's about we get back to making the OP feel better about his chances with his status?

So to the OP, yes there are people who get interviews with cum gpa's in the range you mentioned. It's all about average's in the end. URM, non-URM, or half and half, or whatever, for every person with a 3.5-4.0 that gets an interview and possibly an acceptance, there are people with lower gpa's that will be interviewed and possibly accepted.

It's only October after all. Like UF says in their monthly email updates to me, "You may hear from us shortly or you may not hear a decision from us for (literally) months." It ain't over 'til it's over so relax and find a hobby or something.

I myself have chosen to spend my free time watching trashy reality tv, I mean 'cause who doesn't want to throw in their $.02 about how much of a bi-atch Heidi's being to Lauren on "The Hills?" DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

I myself have chosen to spend my free time watching trashy reality tv, I mean 'cause who doesn't want to throw in their $.02 about how much of a bi-atch Heidi's being to Lauren on "The Hills?" DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

OMGz totaLLy.

actually, i like really bad game shows, like deal or no deal. i watch it for about five minutes, scream at the tv, realize that i'm far too smart to be watching that show and do something else more meaningful (which is anything). it helps put my life in perspective.

I don't care what people say about URM and how it doesn't make much difference in the level of difficulty in URMs admission to med schools. Many of you seem to say that as a URM it's almost as difficult to get into a med school as it is for East Asian and Caucasian counterparts. IT'S NOT TRUE. Stats do not lie. URMs have, on the average, 0.2-0.3 lower GPA and 1.5-2 lower in each section of the MCAT than the East Asian and Caucasian counterparts. End of discussion.

I don't care what people say about URM and how it doesn't make much difference in the level of difficulty in URMs admission to med schools. Many of you seem to say that as a URM it's almost as difficult to get into a med school as it is for East Asian and Caucasian counterparts. IT'S NOT TRUE. Stats do not lie. URMs have, on the average, 0.2-0.3 lower GPA and 1.5-2 lower in each section of the MCAT than the East Asian and Caucasian counterparts. End of discussion.

Thank you. It's about time someone said this.

I have absolutely nothing against the URM applicant pool but I find it irritating when they do not attribute race to anything. East Asians are insanely screwed because their fellow countrymen are ALL pre-med. Out of all my African-American and Hispanic friends..I think maybe 3 are applying to med school. The quota shifts.

ANYWAY - about the OP's point

My gpa is slightly higher but I have crappy 1st two year grades...I have two interviews but I'm praying on everything holy that I get more.

Well, you can also look at the stats and see that a higher percentage rate of Caucasian and Asians are accepted into medical schools than URM's.

Well, you can also look at the stats and see that a higher percentage rate of Caucasian and Asians are accepted into medical schools than URM's.

When you take a look overall at who gets in, every race/ethnicity is roughly 33%. I'm not seeing where the advantage is on a large scale.

Policies of individual schools can be debated left and right but we'll never know.

When you take a look overall at who gets in, every race/ethnicity is roughly 33%. I'm not seeing where the advantage is on a large scale.

Policies of individual schools can be debated left and right but we'll never know.
I was looking at the AAMC stats and they are not the same according to the chart below. (2006 stats)

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mcatgparaceeth.htm

White 10541/22669 = about 46.6%
Asian 3,242/7,532= about 43%
Black 1,155/2,906= about 39.7%
Mexican 448/955= about 46.9%

and the list goes on.

If it didn't make a difference why then didn't you write you were not URM on your application?! If I were a URM I would not indicate that on my application. As you said, you probably got your interview because of other reasons. But doesn't it bother you that some people might think otherwise? I'm sure it does. I'd say just get rid of these classifications and level the playing field. However, many URMs will not go for that. Too bad for well deserving URMs who always have to live with this stigma because of a small percentage of people who actually take advantage for being URMs.

I have 3.23 and an an URM. Got 9 interviews including Harvard (WOOO!)

I was looking at the AAMC stats and they are not the same according to the chart below. (2006 stats)

and the list goes on.

Eh... must have remembered wrong. Regardless, many would interpret this as the exact opposite of AA. Well this really shows that too many minorites believe the AA-hype and aren't as prepared when applying as they should be.

If it didn't make a difference why then didn't you write you were not URM on your application?! If I were a URM I would not indicate that on my application. As you said, you probably got your interview because of other reasons. But doesn't it bother you that some people might think otherwise? I'm sure it does. I'd say just get rid of these classifications and level the playing field. However, many URMs will not go for that. Too bad for well deserving URMs who always have to live with this stigma because of a small percentage of people who actually take advantage for being URMs.
Okay,i don't know how many more times we have to say this, but there is no place to indicate on an application URM. I did not CHOOSE to apply URM. The only place this is indicated is where it specifically asks white/black/hispanic/asian. it's not like you can choose black non-urm and black-urm. Just black. Why didn't i lie and say i was white? is this your question? ebcause that doesn't make SENSE!!!! YES IT BOTHERS ME THAT PEOPLE THINK OTHERWISE! But i didn't have an option. I could either have lied and said i was white, or i could apply as black and be labeled as a URM by some.

Eh... must have remembered wrong. Regardless, many would interpret this as the exact opposite of AA. Well this really shows that too many minorites believe the AA-hype and aren't as prepared when applying as they should be.

That's exactly what i tried to say before, thank you! yes, many URMs apply to places they shouldn't because they think it's going to help them more than it is. If you are underprepared, you are underprepared. I understand that with my GPA many people may think that about me, but there are extenuating circumstances which i explain well in essays and in person, and my MCAT score and experiences have shown that I'm capable and ready. These are things you don't see on my MDapps, so to the other poster who actually said i wouldn't have those interviews if i were white, maybe you shouldn't make assumptions, because i know EXACTLY why i have an interview at Brown, the one definitive reason, and I am confident that I would have it if i were white, asian, or purple. I'm done defending myself, but thank you TheRealMD for understanding what i was trying to say before about many times minorities having lower acceptance rates because they think it helps them more than it does.

What do you mean purple?

What do you mean purple?

really? I mean it doesn't matter what my skin color is, and was using something not even realistic to exagerate how much it doesn't matter, for that one specific interview.

I'm just slightly above the 3.3 mark, but thought I would chip in since my BCPM is a 3.26....I have one interview so far (NYMC) and a DO acceptance (to an amazing primary care program!!!). I hope I get a few more, I've only been rejected by one school and am still (in)patiently waiting to hear back from the rest.

And yes, before it is pointed out, I am half feather indian and half white. I checked both boxes, like the directions tell you to, when filling out the AMCAS. Please keep on topic, this was originally a positive thread, there is no point to arguing about race on the internet. We were born what we were, I dont remember getting to choose, and the system is what it is.

Good luck to those of us out there that have lower stats! If we are getting interest, it is because we deserve it! A perfect MCAT or GPA does not create a perfect physician, and some adcoms seem to really tune in to that! :luck:

there is no point to arguing about race on the internet. We were born what we were, I dont remember getting to choose, and the system is what it is.

Good luck to those of us out there that have lower stats! If we are getting interest, it is because we deserve it! A perfect MCAT or GPA does not create a perfect physician, and some adcoms seem to really tune in to that! :luck:

amen and amen

I have 3.23 and an an URM. Got 9 interviews including Harvard (WOOO!)

Whether or not this is a joke, I'd believe it. And we all know a non-URM would never get an interview at Harvard with a 3.23, unless they had a 45 and successfully cured AIDS (curing cancer cancer isn't good enough these days).

Whether or not this is a joke, I'd believe it. And we all know a non-URM would never get an interview at Harvard with a 3.23, unless they had a 45 and successfully cured AIDS (curing cancer cancer isn't good enough these days).

ya staboi sa glauseen anie zabiriut nashe sedienia.:smuggrin:

1 MD interview for me. 3.07cum 2.93bcpm

Its definately hurting me in the interview process (knew it would, of course) but its not killing me completely. Only one rejection so far - and that was for state residency requirements. I made it past all of the screened secondaries. My numbers are a little deceptive because I also have a masters and that horrible uGPA was from a decade ago.

was it at ponce?

dang. Are u really 37?

and the list goes on.

This is absolute garbage use of statistics and you know it. COMPARE THE AVERAGE MCAT SCORE/GPA OF URM APPLICANTS VS. ORM APPLICANTS and then tell me whether you think the acceptance rates should be as close as they are.

Anyway, unless the OP is a URM, URM statistics are meaningless as the standards are different.

hey idiot there's no such race as PURPLE!! LMFAO!! and then u wonder why ur acceptance rates are lower.. smh...