Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was just curious about how taking multiple classes and going to interviews works. I will be taking 15 credits in the fall of heavy sciences and I have somewhere around 12 schools that I'm considering and I'm trying to lower that number a good portion but I just can't see flying to all these interviews while missing so much class it feels like. Especially upper level sciences, has this process been hard? Do people take less credits during this time? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I was just curious about how taking multiple classes and going to interviews works. I will be taking 15 credits in the fall of heavy sciences and I have somewhere around 12 schools that I'm considering and I'm trying to lower that number a good portion but I just can't see flying to all these interviews while missing so much class it feels like. Especially upper level sciences, has this process been hard? Do people take less credits during this time? Thanks!
It may help to figure out when interviews are by asking the schools you're considering. I only interviewed at one school and their interviews were during my winter break so I didn't have to miss any school. It might help at the very least to put a timeline together for yourself and go from there. As for missing class to interview, I can't comment on that - hopefully someone else can help you out. I know my friends that did it didn't take lighter course loads and usually just worked something out with their professors. Usually they understand that interviews are a part of applying to veterinary school and will be accommodating, though of course it is always good to give professors a warning in the beginning of the semester that you may have to miss class for interviews around x date.

Interviews generally take place in early spring. It's definitely hard with classes, but it's doable. I was able to book two of mine on a Friday and Monday, that way I only missed three days of school for two interviews. This minimized the missed classes for me. I was also able to set my classes up this semester with Friday off. That helps a lot if possible. Teachers tend to be flexible with things like interviewed if you give them advanced notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 20 heavy science and all together missed three days of class for two interviews. All were the middle of the week and far apart. It's deifntiely doable

Some schools do interviews on weekends only, some on winter break. Call the schools you will be applying to and ask for a general time of year they do interviews. Also, I think you'll be surprised at how much most instructors are willing to work with you for things like this :)

Also, remember that applying to 12 schools does not mean getting 12 interviews. You may get invited to interview at a few of those schools, but not all 12. If you're invited to interview at more than 3, I'd try to narrow it down a bit... two that you have the best chance of getting into and one 'reach' school, or something like that.

Also, remember that applying to 12 schools does not mean getting 12 interviews. You may get invited to interview at a few of those schools, but not all 12. If you're invited to interview at more than 3, I'd try to narrow it down a bit... two that you have the best chance of getting into and one 'reach' school, or something like that.

I agree with the bolded part OP, and again I would encourage you to figure out when interviews are held at each school. Some schools do not hold interviews, while other schools may have their interviews on the same day (in which case applying to both may be a bad idea since you wouldn't be able to attend both interviews were you to get interviews at both).

It sounds like you are still very early in the school selection phase. With some research (not just into interviewing, but also how the school evaluates applicants, area where the school is located, etc.) you might find that your 12 school list becomes a much more manageable 5 school list.

Depending on where you live relative to the schools where you are applying, you may actually want to consider driving. Some schools are really only close to small, regional airports so flying in can be a challenge, you may still find yourself driving. Having your own transportation allows you to get to know the area you might call home for the next 4 years better. Also if you're thinking about applying to schools on the east coast or midwest, a lot of the interviews take place during peak snow season, so driving in may allow you more flexibility when it comes to avoiding bad weather.

To answer your question about missing class. Only one of my interviews ended up conflicting with class, but I had no issues because I told my professors in advance and we worked together to make up what I missed. Most professors realize that college isn't forever and are generally accommodating when it comes to interviews. That said, there probably is a limit, 1-2 days isn't really a big deal, but when you start talking 5-6 days over the course of the semester you're starting to miss significant chunks of material, especially if it's a heavy science course.

It's also important to be on top of when to expect interview invites from schools. It seems like most schools offer slots on a first come first served basis, so you wouldn't want all your careful planning to come to naught just because you forgot to check your e-mail.

Hi!
I applied to 8 schools. Luckily 2 of those schools don't interview. I got invited to 5 interviews, but only went to 4. One was during fall semester on a weekend, one interview was during winter break. Two were during the spring semester on weekdays. I can't imagine having to go to more interviews in one semester. Missing labs was the worst part because I had to find time to make them up.

I let my professors know about missing class for my interviews as soon as possible and luckily they were pretty accommodating.

If I had to apply again, I would eliminate a couple of schools. Not only is it hard to miss class for interviews, it's expensive to fly and stay in hotels!!

I applied to 9 schools and received interviews at all of them. Ultimately, I turned down 2 of the interviews. 5 of the 7 that I interviewed at were on the weekend and the two that weren't took place in the fall semester. I believe I missed 5 days of class for those (14 credits maybe?). And I missed 1 or 2 days of class for all the interviews in the winter (16 credits upper level science). I found that professors were SUPER understanding and excited that I had so many opportunities. I don't think that missing classes affected my performance in each course. Granted, I'm lucky that my university doesn't have classes on Fridays. I would have missed a lot more school if that was the case. I also recommend driving when possible. My dad and I drove to 4 interviews and it was cool to see so much of the country! I think that it is possible to juggle multiple interviews and school as long as you stay on top of your schoolwork and are in constant communication with your professors and classmates.