Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Psyclops said:
I went for adult, I'm not sure how they do it. There were alot of kids there on saturday's presentation with Dr. Cantonguay, was that both Child and Adult?

The only time the 2 groups mixed as far as I know was on Friday night at the party thing, otherwise I think they were separate. I was there on Saturday and we stayed in the Child Study Center all day.

I hate this waiting period after interviews, its worse than waiting to hear about interviews in the first place! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

HonieButterfly said:
For those who received an invitation to Northern Illinois University & Bryn Mawr... Did the interviews take place already? Did anyone hear if there would be second rounds of interviews?

I know nothing about Bryn Mawr, but as for Northern Illinois University, Friday February 23, 2006 was their only interview day (i.e., no second interview dates because they sent out offers for admission today). I'm sorry if this is bad news. Best of luck with your other schools. :(

PsychMode said:
I haven't heard from U of Washington after the phone interview either.

I haven't gotten a call from Yale and I'm still waiting for this rejection email.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Any news on u wash after the phone interview? Still waiting, but i don't know if it's worth waiting for. Anyone heard anything from them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
deliutza said:
Any news on u wash after the phone interview? Still waiting, but i don't know if it's worth waiting for. Anyone heard anything from them yet?

If you applied to the adult clinical track, then they have not yet held any interviews at the school. No invitations have been sent. The faculty have not yet scheduled them.

If you've gotten an acceptance at a program that is pretty high up on your list or that you would be just as happy attending, then you may not want to wait. It's your decision.

I wish I could be of more help. I hope I've answered your questions, though.

PsychMode said:
If you applied to the adult clinical track, then they have not yet held any interviews at the school. No invitations have been sent. The faculty have not yet scheduled them.

If you've gotten an acceptance at a program that is pretty high up on your list or that you would be just as happy attending, then you may not want to wait. It's your decision.

I wish I could be of more help. I hope I've answered your questions, though.

Anyone who applied to adult clinical at U Wash, let us know if you have or have not heard. I have been waiting to hear after the phone interview.

And I hope everyone has been getting acceptances or will get them!! :thumbup:

PsychMode said:
Anyone who applied to adult clinical at U Wash, let us know if you have or have not heard. I have been waiting to hear after the phone interview.

I heard that UW was having some funding issues so that some faculty who thought they would be taling new students may not be ( you might want to check in with your faculty match). I also heard that faculty who WILL be taking students will be meeting on March 16 to discuss admissions

march 16.... they're really taking their sweet time aren't they... Thanks everyone for the info. have you been in contact with faculty members there? My phone interviews have been with a post doc and a grad student, and i'm not sure if i should contact the faculty memeber or not. I have other options, but I love the program at u wash....

PsychMode said:

:idea: All right, I just got off the phone with my teacher contact from u wash. They do indeed have big funding problems so everything is very uncertain. I got called for an on site interview though for next monday so they're still doing that. Hope everyone else heard good news as well!
deliutza

deliutza said:
:idea: All right, I just got off the phone with my teacher contact from u wash. They do indeed have big funding problems so everything is very uncertain. I got called for an on site interview though for next monday so they're still doing that. Hope everyone else heard good news as well!
deliutza

Congratulations!!

hey every1...is it pretty much the consensus that if we havent gotten an interview invitation by now it isnt gonna happen?
good luk all and congrats

mpino said:
hey every1...is it pretty much the consensus that if we havent gotten an interview invitation by now it isnt gonna happen?
good luk all and congrats

I was contacted for the first time from one of my top pick schools 2 days ago - so no, apparently it doesnt necessarily mean it wont happen....

i actually thought that i was out of the running at this school and have already accepted another school's offer. I am not sure I ultimately want to pursue the school that just contacted me, but if i decide its a better fit, is it completely unacceptable to break my acceptance with the first school? the second school told me i technically have until april 15 - is this true even if i sent in the decision form??

i actually thought that i was out of the running at this school and have already accepted another school's offer. I am not sure I ultimately want to pursue the school that just contacted me, but if i decide its a better fit, is it completely unacceptable to break my acceptance with the first school? the second school told me i technically have until april 15 - is this true even if i sent in the decision form??[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on hearing from one of your top choice schools!

I am wondering the same thing. What if you are put on the waiting list at one school you really want to attend but have to accept another school's offer by 4/15? If someone else at your top choice waits until 4/15 to turn down the spot they were offered, you probably would have accepted another offer. Does anyone know how acceptances work when they get close to or on 4/15?

psychgrrl said:
I was contacted for the first time from one of my top pick schools 2 days ago - so no, apparently it doesnt necessarily mean it wont happen....

i actually thought that i was out of the running at this school and have already accepted another school's offer. I am not sure I ultimately want to pursue the school that just contacted me, but if i decide its a better fit, is it completely unacceptable to break my acceptance with the first school? the second school told me i technically have until april 15 - is this true even if i sent in the decision form??

I think it's pretty bad form to withdraw an acceptance. You have until april 15 to make your initial decision, but once you have made the decision, you are supposed to stick with it. The school where you accepted will have informed the applicants below you on the waitlist that they are out of the running, so they will have moved on to other programs. If you withdraw your acceptance, your potential mentor will have lost their chance at the top applicants. This would definitely be viewed as unprofessional.

konrad said:
I think it's pretty bad form to withdraw an acceptance. You have until april 15 to make your initial decision, but once you have made the decision, you are supposed to stick with it. The school where you accepted will have informed the applicants below you on the waitlist that they are out of the running, so they will have moved on to other programs. If you withdraw your acceptance, your potential mentor will have lost their chance at the top applicants. This would definitely be viewed as unprofessional.

AGREED! You've accepted now stick with it

definitely unethical, and maybe even illegal ... i'm not quite sure how contractual the confirmation is, but maybe a school could enforce your commitment. if you aren't sure, just wait until you have to give a yes.

it is bad form, and you should check with your accepted school, but you have until April 15th to change your mind.

Don't listen to the three posts above this one, you are allowed to change your mind. This is a big decision that will ultimately determine your next five years and your career. Do what's right by you.

Everyone else should chill out.

I also want to add that I don't think it's unethical. How would this be a matter of ethics.

Psyclops said:
I also want to add that I don't think it's unethical. How would this be a matter of ethics.

Blah Blah Blah... I think its unfair to the faculty and unfair to those who are or were wait listed. In such a case it is the applicant duty to understand the offer of admissions in the email/letter/phone call. Most schools usually tell the applicant until what date they have to accept or reject. This was simple and if for some odd reason that date was not present in the offer, its the applicant duty to find out. Yes this is an important decision but no one should suffer because of ones haste to hold down a spot. Thats all I will say and Good Luck with whatever decisions is made.

psychgrrl said:
I was contacted for the first time from one of my top pick schools 2 days ago - so no, apparently it doesnt necessarily mean it wont happen...

Which school?

HonieButterfly said:
Blah Blah Blah... I think its unfair to the faculty and unfair to those who are or were wait listed. In such a case it is the applicant duty to understand the offer of admissions in the email/letter/phone call. Most schools usually tell the applicant until what date they have to accept or reject. This was simple and if for some odd reason that date was not present in the offer, its the applicant duty to find out. Yes this is an important decision but no one should suffer because of ones haste to hold down a spot. Thats all I will say and Good Luck with whatever decisions is made.

I do agree that it is unfair and in bad form. it is also not something i take lightly at all - i have been agonizing over this new turn of events. It is not, however, unethical or illegal - the apa policy agreed to by all accredited programs clearly states that before april 15 students may withdraw an acceptance (http://www.apa.org/ed/accept.html) without any penalty or permission from the school. it also says that their policy should be included with admissions offers, but today was the first time I saw it - i found it myself.

Actually, I had contacted the second school earlier and was told i was out of the running because the prof i had originally listed was no longer accepting students (it turns out another one who had not had previous openings - and therefore i had not listed, suddently has one, and that is why i was contacted late).

Perhaps there are others in a similar situation who would like to know about the policy. It's definitely a tough situation, and I do blame myself for not holding back accepting the first school - ironically i thought i was doing the right thing by accepting and rejecting other offers so that other spots might be opened. now i just want to make sure i do what is right for me and end up at the best fit.

thanks for all your comments and feedback. if there are more thoughts, i would like to hear them!

as to the school, as this is a sensitive situation, i would rather not say (i will probably get blasted for that). i WILL say that i highly suggest contacting ANY school you have not officially received a rejection or acceptance or waitlist from and dont assume you are out of the running. i wish i had.

Has anyone heard back from SUNY Binghamton? I interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting....