Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayushman80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while I was sitting down and neurotically checking for interview invites I thought of a question about interviews that I haven't seen answered on SDN before. Maybe some of the attendings and residents can weight in on this. A lot of the interviews have "Skills tests" during the day. I guess I don't know what the interviewers can determine from them. Is it that the skills tests are distractors and allow for more authentic answers or are they actually testing dexterity?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. I'm a student, but it is the first I am hearing of this. Please explain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never had any skills tests during my interviews, and my residency didn't do them when we interviewed. I would imagine that they are looking more at how you handle the pressure than how well you actually perform whatever task it is.

I didn't have to do skills either, although I heard this was a little more common in plastic surgery.

A friend of mine showed me a guide from PlasticsMatch.com which I found useful when I was going through interviews. Just something to consider. The website is geared toward plastics, but the info is still really relevant.