What to wear to job interview dinner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyriform

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be interviewing at my first job (private practice) soon, and I was informed that I will be meeting several practice partners on a certain day, and several others on another day, and that there will be a separate dinner on yet another day. I will obviously suit up for the interviews during the day, but I wanted to ask what you think is the most appropriate attire for the dinner happening on a separate date. My gut tells me I can be business casual for the dinner, but I wanted to see if some of you think that a suit would be more appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for one you could ask. Two, bring a couple options and feel things out during the day. Obviously make sure whatever you wear either way is in good shape. If it’s a sit down dinner (as opposed to a BBQ in someone’s yard), I’d go business casual. You don’t have much to lose doing that. If you’re overdressed, I imagine they’ll understand why. It at least shows that you care. And you can always say that you travel light and you only packed so many clothes.
I wouldn’t wear a tux, but slacks and a collar shirt is fine. Polo is probably fine.

Another question is: where is the interview? If it’s in DC probably at least a collar shirt. If it’s in Paducah, KY, you can probably get away with less. Maybe some overalls and a MAGA hat.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, for one you could ask. Two, bring a couple options and feel things out during the day. Obviously make sure whatever you wear either way is in good shape. If it’s a sit down dinner (as opposed to a BBQ in someone’s yard), I’d go business casual. You don’t have much to lose doing that. If you’re overdressed, I imagine they’ll understand why. It at least shows that you care. And you can always say that you travel light and you only packed so many clothes.
I wouldn’t wear a tux, but slacks and a collar shirt is fine. Polo is probably fine.

Another question is: where is the interview? If it’s in DC probably at least a collar shirt. If it’s in Paducah, KY, you can probably get away with less. Maybe some overalls and a MAGA hat.
Haha, thanks very much HighPriest. The dress code seems to be less obvious now -- was more straight forward for residency/fellowship interviews. I'm interviewing in a blue state, so maybe MAGA hat won't fly, but overalls sounds like an interesting idea.

I'll be interviewing at my first job (private practice) soon, and I was informed that I will be meeting several practice partners on a certain day, and several others on another day, and that there will be a separate dinner on yet another day. I will obviously suit up for the interviews during the day, but I wanted to ask what you think is the most appropriate attire for the dinner happening on a separate date. My gut tells me I can be business casual for the dinner, but I wanted to see if some of you think that a suit would be more appropriate.
If there's no interview the 2nd time around and just dinner, business casual with a blazer should be fine.

Business casual with a blazer is fine for dinner, unless the dinner is at an Applebee’s.

Look at it this way: if your potential future partners are so hung up on what you’re wearing that you blow the interview because you overdressed or slightly under-dressed for dinner (especially after meeting them all in a suit for an interview), you probably don’t want to work at that practice anyway.

I mean, don’t wear a loincloth just to see if they’re cool guys, but don’t stress about it that much. Look like you don’t buy your clothes at hot topic, and like you give a $#!t.

Last edited:
And the blue state thing can still go either way. You probably shouldn’t go MAGA hat. But there’s Manhattan blue state and there’s Oregon blue state, and the dress codes are pretty different.

Sports coat and slacks with a dress shirt (medium color or subtle patterned) is always a safe bet. This particular look is safe but boring and kinda monochrome. Most of the other examples I saw online had some fatal flaw or another (wild pocket hanky, too-trim fit, stupid patch pockets, crazy purple plaid) So something less than a 2-piece suit, but where you'll be (or at least look) comfortable whether the others wear suits or polo shirts.

BusinessCasual6_0d3f4edb-19c5-4b3b-8e5f-3e749800e2d2_1024x1024.jpg

That is probably sound advice.

I haven’t actually owned a blazer in like 20 years. I like a good suit, but I’ve always felt like the blazer was just a mismatched jacket that you’re wearing inside for some reason, as opposed to an outfit. I mean, are you cold or did you forget what color your slacks are? I mean, look at that guy. He doesn’t know what to do with that blazer. He keeps touching it, like he isn’t sure if he should keep it on or not. I...realize I’m in the minority on that.

But fwiw I was poor and destitute for 6 of those years, then in the Army for 9, and the rest of the time a suit was more appropriate. So I may not be the best resource on that. Fortunately all of my job interviews were basically meeting everyone and then going straight to dinner afterwards, so I never got out of the suit.

Go with the blazer thing. Good news is if no one else is wearing one you can take it off.

Unless you’re interviewing in the PNW, then wear jeans and a sweater. And maybe an oversized stocking cap. And some smugness.

Last edited:
And the blue state thing can still go either way. You probably shouldn’t go MAGA hat. But there’s Manhattan blue state and there’s Oregon blue state, and the dress codes are pretty different.
Heading to Nevada, not sure what the dress code would be there

Maybe these bad boys.

Attachments

• 733DDF4B-0DA9-48F9-9E13-29500CBF2CC1.jpeg
    733DDF4B-0DA9-48F9-9E13-29500CBF2CC1.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users