Intimidated by college! Unique scenario...

Should I be worried?

• Total voters

Velma Dinkley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that high school hasn't properly prepared to me. I NEVER have homework, MAYBE an hour a week tops. Yeah, I have a 4.3 GPA, but I feel like it was handed to me since I never had homework and never had to really study for my high school courses. I feel that this is all especially frustrating since I'm majoring in biology and need a 3.5+ GPA in college to go to dental school. When I first took my ACT with no prep, I scored a 21. Plain average, 50 percentile score. I had to study for months for hours every day to bring it up to a 29. ( 7 percentile ) The people who go to wealthier school districts study for hours every week just for a 3.5 and average in the mid 20s for their ACT on the first go. I have the highest score in my school and half the kids from wealthier districts outperform me... I'm going to the honors college of my local public university, and I feel like I'll be decimated by people who are more prepared than I am. I know how to study if I need to, and I have no problem putting in 40+ hours of work every week if needed, but I feel I'll ultimately be brought down by my lack of preparation.

Members don't see this ad.

I never did homework in high school either. Not because I didn't have to, I just straight up didn't want to do it. I was by most accounts not prepared for college. It took me a semester, but I eventually straightened everything out, and I don't see why you can't do the same. Learn from whatever mistakes you initially make, study smart, work hard and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above poster...I don't think you have anything to worry about! For me, high school was completely different from college. In high school, I didn't have to study much either to get good grades, but when I entered college, I realized that it takes a lot more time and effort to keep the same grades in college. I think it just comes with experience...it may take you awhile to figure out what types of studying work best for you, but once you get into the swing of things, you'll feel a lot more confident and less intimidated. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to agree with everyone who posted on here. High school is almost 100% different from college. Your high school academic performance isn't as good of an indicator of college as you'd think. I didn't study very much in high school either, got above average grades, 28 on my ACT. I'm in college now, my first semester I got average grades without studying very much. The past two semesters I've studied my butt off and have gotten 4.0's both semesters, 15 credits each w/ honors classes.

I think ultimately it comes down to how much time and effort you're willing to put in to your studies. General intelligence is obviously a factor, but I've gotten better grades than people I think are smarter than me, probably because I studied more than they did. Study, study, study. Study every day, as much as you need to, and you'll be fine. You sound like you're very motivated and I don't see you being disadvantaged very much. Just get into a studying routine and learn what study techniques and habits work best for you.

Basically, if you're willing to put in the time and effort to make sure you are as prepared as possible for exams, you will be successful. It seems like you learned and have seen success through your ACT endeavors. Apply that same drive and work ethic to college and you'll have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to worry about!

I never did homework in high school either. Not because I didn't have to, I just straight up didn't want to do it. I was by most accounts not prepared for college. It took me a semester, but I eventually straightened everything out, and I don't see why you can't do the same. Learn from whatever mistakes you initially make, study smart, work hard and you'll be just fine.
This describes me perfectly! Haha
I feel like an outsider here sometimes... seeing all these high schoolers taking AP this and AP that, when I just didn't care.

Reactions: 2 users
You control your college experience. It make take a semester to adjust, but if you work hard and seek help (and all the other stuff mentioned in the "advice for a successful freshman year" thread), you can be successful. And drop the negative mindset; you're telling yourself you're going to flop before you've even tried.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel that high school hasn't properly prepared to me. I NEVER have homework, MAYBE an hour a week tops. Yeah, I have a 4.3 GPA, but I feel like it was handed to me since I never had homework and never had to really study for my high school courses. I feel that this is all especially frustrating since I'm majoring in biology and need a 3.5+ GPA in college to go to dental school. When I first took my ACT with no prep, I scored a 21. Plain average, 50 percentile score. I had to study for months for hours every day to bring it up to a 29. ( 7 percentile ) The people who go to wealthier school districts study for hours every week just for a 3.5 and average in the mid 20s for their ACT on the first go. I have the highest score in my school and half the kids from wealthier districts outperform me... I'm going to the honors college of my local public university, and I feel like I'll be decimated by people who are more prepared than I am. I know how to study if I need to, and I have no problem putting in 40+ hours of work every week if needed, but I feel I'll ultimately be brought down by my lack of preparation.

The good part is that this isn't a unique scenario. Lots of people have to adjust to actually having to study at the "next step."

I studied very little in high school. There were several classes in college for which I didn't have to study all that much, either. Then medical school came around, and all of a sudden, I had to seriously pick it up. Residency is a different matter altogether.

You will be fine.

You'll be fine. It may take you one semester to get accustomed but you'll be fine.