Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Was a winner of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) my senior year of high school. For those that don't know what that is, it's where you have to write a 50,000 word story in the month of November. Chapter titles, any lines to separate chapters, etc. don't count towards the word total. It doesn't sound so bad until you realized 50,000 words equals about 80 pages of writing.:laugh:

Fellow NaNoWriMo winner here! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay someone knows what it is! Yea, it's definitely a good challenge and shows the admins for school that you have determination since the only prize for it is bragging rights.

Yay someone knows what it is! Yea, it's definitely a good challenge and shows the admins for school that you have determination since the only prize for it is bragging rights.

never even considered putting nano on my app lol. did it from 2004-2010 with five wins. wish I still had time but vet school has ruined that!

Members don't see this ad :)
My sister just won NaNoWriMo too! It sounds like fun, I'll have to look into it.

My sister just won NaNoWriMo too! It sounds like fun, I'll have to look into it.
I've tried twice and only succeeded once, which led me to dancing around the house and terrifying my animals. It's quite a rush when you finally reach that 50,000 mark, especially when you only have 2 hours left. You should totally do it at least once, but I must warn you that it requires a great deal of insanity to accomplish it. There's no other way to make a mostly cohesive story in 30 days.

never even considered putting nano on my app lol. did it from 2004-2010 with five wins. wish I still had time but vet school has ruined that!

I didn't think to put it on my app either, but I've won every year through undergrad. I did talk about creative writing in my LSU interview though.

Hello, everyone! It looks like no one has posted in this thread for several months, so I hope it's still the right place for this, but I couldn't find anything more appropriate. I've been lurking and reading for a few days and thought I would go ahead and introduce myself.

I have a pretty unique situation, I think, as I seem to be much earlier in this process than most of you. At the same time, I am probably a bit older than most of you, as well!

I am 35 y/o and currently working as a military contractor in Afghanistan. Like many of you, I always wanted to be a veterinarian from the time I knew what that meant, but ended up getting caught up in social life and other distractions. I did awesome in school until high school, when we moved to OR and I went to public school for the first time. My senior year, I only took what I absolutely had to, which meant I only went to school half days that year, and barely passed Algebra with a D. After that, I took a couple trips and messed around with my friends, and finally moved to ID and ended up getting a job as a vet assistant. I moved back to WA a year later, and spent the next four years working as an assistant in a couple clinics. At that point, you could grandfather in after five years, so I took the VTNE and passed. I was a tech in various SA clinics for another three years before deciding to do something with better hours for awhile. I was working in a pharmacy when I found out about military contracting. Great money, and all you have to do is live in a war zone!

I paid off all my debts and bought a house in Redmond (near Microsoft). Then my BF and I split up (amiably) and I rented the house to him, since I was working overseas and was never there anyway. I had some money saved, and took a year off to buy my dog Kodi (in my avatar) and take a 14,000 mile road trip around the US with him, living in my van. When the money ran out, I came back to Afghanistan, and here I am! Right now I am in the process of trying to buy a house in the Olympia area on 7 acres, so I can finally have horses and chickens and all that fun stuff, and my mother (who just retired) can put her mobile on the property and not have to pay rent.

And so I found myself recently, 35 and still without a career. I had long ago given up on the dream of being a vet, thinking it was too much debt and I was too old. It was while talking to my dad on the phone that I finally realized that it was still possible, and that I was having so much trouble deciding on something else because I didn't WANT to do anything else. This is what I was meant to do.

So I started looking into things and talking to people. I am incredibly lucky to live in WA, so WSU is my IS. They have an excellent Pre-Vet program that allows you to complete your BS in Zoology and your DVM in seven years, if you are accepted and keep your GPA high. Unfortunately, while I do have plenty of veterinary experience, I have very little volunteer experience, and I have been out of school for almost 20 years! I have absolutely no college experience at all, no study skills, and I'm horrible with math. My original plan was to take the SAT in November (which I would have to take in Singapore - it's complicated) and spend the next year studying, with the idea of starting the 7 year program in fall of 2014. But after a lot of consideration and stress, I realized that it's just not enough time, and having to do a lot of it from overseas makes it doubly difficult. So I reluctantly decided to push it back to at least 2015, and spend the next couple of years building a better foundation to do this right.

My only concern is all the recent rumors and articles talking about the overabundance of vet students and the lack of jobs. The debt doesn't bother me so much, as I will be going IS and plan to keep my debt as low as possible, but the prospect of not having a job at the end scares me. A lot can happen in ten years.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this forum, and all the wonderful resources it provides! Thank you, and hopefully it will all apply to me one day!! :)

Welcome, Kyra 6! I'm 34, right there with you on the non-traditional end of the age spectrum. I wish you the best of success with your pre-veterinary endeavors, and am glad that you've found this forum to be helpful in your journey. Yes, the debt and risk of a hyper-competitive job market are risks we all face. However, if there is no other career in which you can see yourself as equally satisfied, my vote is to go for it. Although I enjoy the career I in which I currently work, I'd never forgive myself if I didn't pursue my passion for veterinary medicine. I'd always be wondering 'what if.' That's a question I don't want to take to my grave. Keep on truckin'! Let us know if we can be of any help along the way :)

Hello, everyone! It looks like no one has posted in this thread for several months, so I hope it's still the right place for this, but I couldn't find anything more appropriate. I've been lurking and reading for a few days and thought I would go ahead and introduce myself.

I have a pretty unique situation, I think, as I seem to be much earlier in this process than most of you. At the same time, I am probably a bit older than most of you, as well!

I am 35 y/o and currently working as a military contractor in Afghanistan. Like many of you, I always wanted to be a veterinarian from the time I knew what that meant, but ended up getting caught up in social life and other distractions. I did awesome in school until high school, when we moved to OR and I went to public school for the first time. My senior year, I only took what I absolutely had to, which meant I only went to school half days that year, and barely passed Algebra with a D. After that, I took a couple trips and messed around with my friends, and finally moved to ID and ended up getting a job as a vet assistant. I moved back to WA a year later, and spent the next four years working as an assistant in a couple clinics. At that point, you could grandfather in after five years, so I took the VTNE and passed. I was a tech in various SA clinics for another three years before deciding to do something with better hours for awhile. I was working in a pharmacy when I found out about military contracting. Great money, and all you have to do is live in a war zone!

I paid off all my debts and bought a house in Redmond (near Microsoft). Then my BF and I split up (amiably) and I rented the house to him, since I was working overseas and was never there anyway. I had some money saved, and took a year off to buy my dog Kodi (in my avatar) and take a 14,000 mile road trip around the US with him, living in my van. When the money ran out, I came back to Afghanistan, and here I am! Right now I am in the process of trying to buy a house in the Olympia area on 7 acres, so I can finally have horses and chickens and all that fun stuff, and my mother (who just retired) can put her mobile on the property and not have to pay rent.

And so I found myself recently, 35 and still without a career. I had long ago given up on the dream of being a vet, thinking it was too much debt and I was too old. It was while talking to my dad on the phone that I finally realized that it was still possible, and that I was having so much trouble deciding on something else because I didn't WANT to do anything else. This is what I was meant to do.

So I started looking into things and talking to people. I am incredibly lucky to live in WA, so WSU is my IS. They have an excellent Pre-Vet program that allows you to complete your BS in Zoology and your DVM in seven years, if you are accepted and keep your GPA high. Unfortunately, while I do have plenty of veterinary experience, I have very little volunteer experience, and I have been out of school for almost 20 years! I have absolutely no college experience at all, no study skills, and I'm horrible with math. My original plan was to take the SAT in November (which I would have to take in Singapore - it's complicated) and spend the next year studying, with the idea of starting the 7 year program in fall of 2014. But after a lot of consideration and stress, I realized that it's just not enough time, and having to do a lot of it from overseas makes it doubly difficult. So I reluctantly decided to push it back to at least 2015, and spend the next couple of years building a better foundation to do this right.

My only concern is all the recent rumors and articles talking about the overabundance of vet students and the lack of jobs. The debt doesn't bother me so much, as I will be going IS and plan to keep my debt as low as possible, but the prospect of not having a job at the end scares me. A lot can happen in ten years.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this forum, and all the wonderful resources it provides! Thank you, and hopefully it will all apply to me one day!! :)

Hey Kyra!! Your story is very unique and interesting! My fiancé is currently deployed in Afghanistan with the Army. He has thought about the whole contractor thing once/if/ when he gets out of the army! ( great way to pay off my vet school loans lol. )

You have every right to be concerned- the job market / debt:salary ratio sucks for vets. If I were in your shoes I would save up all of your contracting money- maybe stick it out for a little longer (while taking online courses if possible) so that you can come home and pay for a lot of your schooling/ living expenses out of pocket to avoid taking out loans as much as possible.

And as far as school goes- I would definitely utilize your schools tutoring labs/ writing labs to help you get into the college grove. There is also the Khan Academy that has free tutorials in nearly every subject you can think of! Study skills are definitely something that you kind of learn what works for you as you go. Every class is different and may require you to study differently as well!

If I were in your shoes I would save up all of your contracting money- maybe stick it out for a little longer (while taking online courses if possible) so that you can come home and pay for a lot of your schooling/ living expenses out of pocket to avoid taking out loans as much as possible.

Oh, if only it were that easy!! Believe me, I kick myself every day! I can't tell you how badly I want to go back in time and talk to myself from 2008 and tell her to do that! If I had known then that this was what I wanted (or that it was still possible at my age), I could have saved every penny the whole time I was over here, and probably paid cash for most of my undergrad and vet school. But then I also wouldn't have my house, which gives my mom a place to retire and me a place to have my animals, as well as a home base to come back to. Interest rates are going back up now, so I barely squeezed through that window before it closed. After I leave here, it will be a LONG time before I have another job that would allow me to buy that kind of property. It is what it is. But for better or worse, that ship has sailed. I couldn't stay here much longer if I wanted to - they have already started sending people home, and I'm just waiting for it to be my turn. With the economy what it is, big contracts like the one I'm a part of are a thing of the past. There will always be military contracting jobs, but not ones that pay like this, and at a certain point, it just stops being worth it to be so far from home for so long.

So when I go home, it's either go back to being a tech for the rest of my life, or take a chance and shoot for the moon! I wish I could have done it without the debt, but hindsight is 20/20, and all I can do now is "keep moving forward"! :)

Hey Kyra 6! I am also a non-trad at 40 years old. You aren't alone....we are out here ;) I have been in the vet field since 2001. This is my 4th application cycle. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Good luck!

Hey everyone! I have been lurking for a while now and have been sending out my PS to some readers. Thank you! I got motivated to post something because I have yet to see anyone from University of California, Davis, gotta represent!

My name is Steven, 21 years old, first-time applicant. California resident.
BS in Animal Science going into food animals.

Stats:
cum GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45 credits: 3.85
GRE: Taking it in 7 days!

Hours:
1,200 Vet
Necropsy work at UCDSVM Comparative Pathology Lab on mice and rats.
Behavior/Welfare research assistant under VMD/PhD on cattle with bovine respiratory disease
Volunteered at my hometown animal shelter surgical suite. =assist with spay, neuter, blood draw, and vaccination all day.

800+ Animal
Living on the university's Swine Teaching and Research Center.
Internships at the university's beef barn and feedlot.

1,100 Research
3 years of research experience from research design, to setup and execution. More BRD behavior/welfare related topics.

Interested in going into research and/or food animal medicine.

About me:
Came to the U.S. in the 6th grade.
Love going backpacking in the Sierra Nevada (when I have the time; which basically means never anymore)
Two dogs at home. Have to leave behind because I go to school 7 hours away.
Coffee addict like no other.
Enjoys red wine.
Can't see dark chocolate and not buy it.
A bit of the "techy" guy. Love to own new tech devices (not Apple though). I can't overstress how much I love to pealing off the protective plastic cover off new things.

Applying to:
Davis, Ohio, Colorado, Western, Washington, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Need help narrowing down to to something like 5. Suggestions? Suggestions?

Hi PiedPiper! I'm a non-trad as well and currently taking classes post-bacc. I hope to be applying for the c/o 2020 or 2021 as well! :D

Hey! '20 or '21 here too! And I thought that there weren't any others so far out! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! '20 or '21 here too! And I thought that there weren't any others so far out! ;)

I'm c/o 2020. :D

I'm tied between veterinary and people medicine. I'm turning 19 in a month- I'm sort of crazy. I make bracelets out of friendship thread and my best three are all related to Pokémon. One's got the Eevee evolutions through Gold and Silver, another one has Raichu on it(which was given to one of my friend's boyfriends for their one-month), and the last one has "so i herd u liek" and a Mudkip sprite on it.

I'm have a myriad of interests in vet med. My two major interests are in aquatic and in avian medicine- especially raptors and birds of prey. I'm excited because there's a place by my university that's a zoo- not a big one by any stretch. But it'll be a great experience and I'm excited.

An oddball fact: I used to role play cats and I was one of a few people on their website that could do rudimentary cat genetics for realism. I did genetics for wildcat x domestic crosses as well as basic crosses between two domestic cats.

My main thing that's holding me back from vet med is the euthanasia. I'm not sure if I have the emotional resolve to put down an animal.

Well, my freshman year was bogged down by all sorts of drama. It's alright, though.

GPA: 3.06
sGPA: 3.00 (I noticed the downward trend with a C in Orgo I so I used my next semester to buff my GPA with math. So that's really the only pre-req I've taken.)
Vet Hours: None yet; I'm going to see if I can help my adviser with a research project relating to a type of woodpecker on university property.
Animal Hours: I've owned pets my whole life, I've petsitted a few times. But I don't have any breeding experience or anything.

NCSU is my IS, but I'd be a very happy camper at WSU or Florida. My dad lives in WA and my grandparents are in FL so I may not even have to pay for housing.

So, yeah. It's nice to meet you all. ^^

Hah! Still got you all beat! Even if I get into the 7 year program on the first try, the earliest I could be is c/o 2023!! I will be almost 45! :)

Holy smoke... When the class of 2020 starts, us 2017ers will be starting 4th year, Craziness!

If this is the way I go, I can't wait to meet some of you. You all seem like a fun bunch. ^^

You guys are making me feel old :(

Hi, nice to meet ya'll. Have been loving these forums since I signed up! Super helpful info and kindly folks :hello:

I'm a rising junior at a small liberal arts school in the midwest getting my bachelors in bio (current GPA: 3.74). I volunteer a bajillion hours weekly at a zoo in their farm department, an aquarium in their marine mammals department, and shadow at a SA clinic. I also work at a dog shelter. I'm co-pres of our vet club here and on the board of directors at an exotic animal sanctuary. In my free time (lol, what is this "free time" concept?), I like to draw, go to Fall Out Boy concerts (yep, they're still awesome, right?), spend time with animals of any kind, and to de-stress, I like to play computer games such as The Sims -- it's a really basic game so it gets my mind off crazy-school work if I need to calm down.

Hello! I've actually asked a couple questions here on this forum before but have not properly introduced myself!

I'm 18 and an incoming second year student earning my bachelor's degree in biology. I've taken a particular interest in small animal emergency medicine and exotic/zoo medicine. I've interned at a zoo before and am currently volunteering at a local dog shelter.
At school, I work alongside the biology department, helping with the conservation of a turtle species. I just recently gotten my first veterinary experience at the zoo where I assisted the veterinarian and vet techs on a procedure done on the turtles so I am extremely excited! I am also going to start shadowing a vet clinic near my college soon.

I am absolutely horrible at math and that is the reason why my GPA is currently at 3.33 :( I have to retake calculus. My dream vet school is Cornell which is almost impossible to get into I presume? But I would love to get into UC Davis.

I love video games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands and I have 2 Syrian hamsters. Sorry for my rambling! I'm just excited to be a part of this community. Thanks for helping me out everyone! All of you have been extremely helpful!:biglove:

Heya Fishey!

I can help you in calculus if you need it.

And it's not impossible; you're doing better than me.

If a 3.3 is your first year, and you ace your other years, then you can pull out with a 3.825. :D

I'm a non-traditional student. I am finishing up my Bachelor's in General Studies with a focus on science. I will be able to apply next year for vet school. I am married with 4 young children. We have a small farm with several different kinds of livestock. I hope that I'm able to stand out in my application next fall, and plan on applying to Purdue (my IS), OSU, and UPenn. Possibly KSU as well. I lived outside of Manhattan, KS for a few years, and we loved Kansas.

You stats seem good, did you have a file review on why you didn't get in?

I'm boring,

Not really a 'traditional' student - some unfortunate events in my late teens forced me only start when I was 20.

I have an Associates degree and I'm pursuing a Microbiology (Bachelor of Science)

I have too much animal experience and not enough vet experience (I'm getting there)
I always thought I was too stupid to pursue my dream of Veterinary medicine (stems back to the unfortunate events) but after changing my major 15 times and never being happy with it I said enough is enough Im doing what I've always wanted to and I have never been happier.

Since I've always loved animals and been around them my whole life (farm, horses, pets, rehab, volunteer) I have around 4000 animal experience hours, and just getting my foot into the door with a few vets.

I have a 3.6 GPA overall
3.8 Pre-req GPA
3.8 Science GPA
Have not taken the GRE yet

I'm also 22 - a little late in the game, only applying to start Fall 2016:p

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, posted once before. Everyone on this forum seems like a fantastic oddball family. I'm hoping to properly join in on the enormous support network and infinite smileys. :love:

I'm 21 and graduating from a school in SoCal with a B.S. in Biology (cGPA ~ 3.5, oh well) next month. Two more weeks of classes...and SDN is how I procrastinate on the mountain of work between me and freedom. :rofl:Applying next cycle (2014) to my IS (NCSU) and a few other schools. In January, I start a 1.5 yr full-time postbacc at NIH, retaking a prereq or two at a nearby college and hopefully racking up much-needed experience hours. Maybe I'll finally have time to win NaNoWriMo after a slew of failed high school attempts...

I have a huge soft spot for rats and border collies, although my interest in lab animal medicine and in vivo model research preclude me from ever owning the former. Le sigh. In my free time, I am a super active member of my orchestra and various chamber groups, go hiking/backpacking, read and write recreationally, and cook up veritable storms for absurd numbers of people. I'm also really, really, really fascinated by Viking history. If anyone else is into medieval Scandinavian conquest and exploration, hit me up and let's geek out!

I'm one of only two prevets at my entire school (if the other creeps around SDN, hey, how's it going? :D). It's a lonely crowd.

Looking forward to celebrating everyone's acceptances in a few months! Best of luck, guys! :woot:

:) Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN and I am loving all of this information that I am getting from this website. It has and still is helping me loads with applying for vet school for the next cycle. I am a rising junior currently in pursuit of my undergrad Biology degree.
My passion is in equine sport horse orthopedics medicine and research. I am also very infatuated with equine reproduction medicine and the research involved in that field. I am currently working in two research labs on campus :cool: One being a Entomology lab and the other being a Nuclear forensics research lab. I have owned animals all of my life and ride and train horses whenever I can squeeze in the time. My biggest dream is to become a kick *** board certified Surgeon and ground breaking researcher (I can only dream right?) :) Haha sorry for the long introduction!

Well, I've been a member for awhile but mostly lurked. Now that I'm in the midst of applications, I've become more active.

So a little about myself, I go to a small private school in Pennsylvania. I'm graduating a semester early with a b. s. in biology in like 2 weeks. I have a 3.89 gpa and 158 in both gre categories.

In terms of veterinary experience, I have about 700 with a mixed practice vet mostly as well as some small animal shadowing interspersed. I have a boat load of animal experience. I've worked at a horse rescue for 5 years as well as some other animal related jobs. I also work in my schools mouse house, lab animal stuff obviously. I've done an honors project and presented my research a regional and national meeting.

So far I have 2 vet school interview offers and a job interview at a clinic to fill my gap, so I'm really excited. And nervous.

So yeah, that's me. Hi everybody :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am just starting my pre reqs late in the game as well im 25

I never did post here, did I? Huh.

Anyway, I'm pretty boring. xD Just a Caucasian 21 y/o female (22 in June!) living near Kansas City, MO. I'm an on-campus student in Joplin for undergrad, though. So, yeah, I'm basically your traditional run-of-the-mill vet school applicant. Normally, I'd be applying this c/o 2019 cycle, but a major change and some poor grades my first year are holding me back... my situation's weird in that I excel in all of my upper-division science courses, but due to my relative indifference my freshman year - and trust me, I'm really kicking myself for it - I have a few rough patches in gen ed courses. It's stupid and it's my fault, but my GPA really got a bad start as a consequence. In a way, then, I guess an extra year to further bolster my application may help. Of course, being that my IS (Mizzou) bases a crazy amount of their decision on cum GPA and they average retakes, I may very well be screwed. Though I guess there's no harm in trying. I also plan on applying to K-State and Iowa State - two schools whose procedures, thankfully, would play more to my strengths than Mizzou would. I've been studying and practicing quite a bit for the GRE, too, which I will be taking in early June.

With that in mind, I'm most likely going to apply next summer for the c/o 2020, though I've toyed with the idea of waiting until the c/o 2021 cycle just to have a little extra time to raise my GPA up more. I'm not quite sure yet.

Anyway, I actually started undergrad as a Spanish major, simply because I didn't think I had the raw intelligence necessary to do well in a science program. Needless to say, I floundered around a lot because I realized that it wasn't really what I wanted to do. After taking a General Biology course for a gen ed and receiving an A, my interest in vet med was rekindled; I switched over to a BS in Biology, started getting much higher marks, and haven't looked back since. :)

My experiences, unfortunately, aren't quite as extensive as they could be due to a somewhat late start in the field. I've got roughly 300 hours of small animal between several clinics, one of which is a holistic/alternative practice. I do have some zoo animal already set in stone for this summer - will probably wind up with about 30 hours or so - along with a few days with a large animal/equine veterinarian. I realize that this is an odd spread of experience, but I'm not dead-set on one area of vet med yet, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and get hours in as many different capacities as possible.

Outside of vet med, I've had some cool animal-related experiences through our campus's Biology Club. For example, we worked in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Conservation and a meat processing company to age and record population data on White-Tailed Deer that had been hunted, which was really neat. During high school, I went on a Spanish Club trip to Costa Rica where, while we mostly did human-related volunteer work, we also had a few hours taking a course on sea turtle conservation and actually got to do some cool things with that. I also work an annual low-cost rabies vax and microchip clinic, as volunteer at several animal shelters and other similar things. In terms of other work, I just left the restaurant I had been working at for three years as a crew manager (which helped develop good interaction skills for vet med, I hope!). Starting this upcoming fall semester, I will be a paid Biology tutor through our university's success center.

I also enjoy digital art, web design, and language study. I learned the hard way that I can't really compose myself in a traditional academic foreign language course, but I still love to translate both Spanish and Japanese - which was my original minor alongside my Spanish major - media in my own free time. I used to write a lot, too, but it takes so much time and effort that I just can't get myself engaged in it anymore. :(

Speaking of...

I used to do NaNoWriMo! It's awesome seeing that so many members here also did it! I only won two years (2007 and 2008), but it was always fun trying to meet the finish line of 50,000. I'd never even thought about including on my application; I suppose it couldn't hurt, anyway. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 21, living in Central Arkansas! I'm currently working as a Certified Veterinary Technician. I'm only in my 2nd year of prerequisites. My stats right now: 3.9 cGPA, 4.0 Science GPA. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I intend to have my first go at it in the near future! Right now I have about 2,500 hours of vet experience (Small, exotic and equine) I know it might be a little silly that I'm on this forum this early, but I am trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row VERY early! If anyone could give me some tips as I continue on I would really appreciate it! I love reading the timeline stories, I see a trend of students saying they wish they had started earlier, so I'm glad that I started so early! If anyone has advice or want to share their story with me that would be lovely! :) My plan right now is to continue being a docent at our local zoo which will accumulate about 720 hours of exotic animal experience by the time I apply. I work full time as a CVT, so that should accumulate about 5,000 hours of vet experience by the time I apply. I need to look into large animal because I don't have much experience in that area! So if anyone has some info or tips to share it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Started following this as a means of procrastination after reading about it on the APVMA facebook page back in Octoberish. Let's just say that I justified reading hours of random threads from this as stress relief (and some interesting conversations).

Typical traditional student. Just graduated last week with a gen bio degree with a "pre-vet emphasis" which only meant I took extra classes that the pre-med kids didn't have to take, like parasitology. lol. Although some of them regretted taking pathology instead since parasit was with such a great prof. :). I applied to five schools this last application cycle and was waitlisted at Kansas. Hoping to get the magic phone call of course, but I'm already focusing on the next cycle, just in case. I did fall in love with Kansas hard when I went for my interview. When I applied, I only had enough money to either apply and then be able to afford school and possible interview trips; or visit schools and apply with no money for school and possible interviews. So seeing Kansas's school for the first time on that tour grabbed me like any good tour should. However, if I need to reapply, I will most certainly be knocking on Colorado's door since it is my instate (28 grand versus 54 grand).

I have over 5,000 animal experience hours from working in my family's pet store starting at age ten and riding/showing horses all through middle and high school. Unfortunately, the vet experience hours are lacking in comparison (interview for a clinic job next Monday, woot woot!!). I'm stuck between emergency medicine as well as canine genetics. Just don't know yet. I will be (hopefully) working in a second clinic this summer (and possibly beyond) that covers emergency in my area to get a real idea of emergency med. Taking more classes next year if I am not accepted this round (organic 2 and biochem 2 for sure).

Other than basic school/application stuff, I have four dogs (including pictured Min Pin) and an oscar. In my spare time, I read for fun, make stained glass windows, sleep if at all possible, paint and draw. In hindsight, I wish I had been some sort of studio art major, but hindsight is 20/20.

I never filled one of these out so here it goes:

Hi My name is SOV.
Long time poster, now mostly a lurker.
I enjoy WW, Italian Greyhounds, and long walks on the beach.
I will never be a vet, but I will annoy vets for a long time because now I know just enough not to be ignored, but to be completely wrong.

I am old, grumpy, cantankerous, and I am not afraid to let it show.

Newbie bumping up old post :cat:

Hello! My name is Saki Nishibi, and I'm new here! I'm currently a sophomore in high school looking waaaay ahead into the future and wanting to be a vet when I grow up :)

Some things about me/thoughts/questions
1. I 'm really passionate about helping animals (as I expect anyone on the vet forum would)
2. I am an officer in the Animal Welfare Club, though it just started last year and it's not that great. General suggestions on how to make it better please? Also fun fundraising ideas (not necessarily in school) please? :D
3. I am also looking into summer programs. Does anyone have any personal experiences with Tuft's AVM or uPenn's VETS or Cornell's summer program (for the animal science and vet courses obviously) because they all sound so fascinating? As of right now I am applying to the Tuft's and thinking about applying to the Cornell one.
4. Favorite show? RWBY :clap:. Favorite movie(s)? How to Train Your Dragon series :soexcited: I'm sorry if that sounds a bit stalkerish but I was looking through these threads and deciding whether I wanted to join and I saw the gifs and I was like OHMIGOSH I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE :claps:
5. How on heaven and earth is Hello Kitty a human? A British girl instead of a cute cat? :scared:
6. Also can someone please explain why the SDN app costs money? Just curious.
7. wow there are a lot of emoticons :panda:

I'm excited to join what seems like a fun group of people who have similar interests as me and I hope that I will learn more about what it means to be a vet :D

Also (NEWBIE ALERT SORRY) I want to delete my other introduce me thread to avoid redundancy so how do I delete it?

It's the Metamucil

tumblr_m8uxyusSIx1rdkptuo1_250.gif

umm . . . hai glad to meet all of you