Introduction...Assessment/Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maine3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, and have decided to start asking some questions. About me: I graduated a year ago with a B.A. in Cross-cultural Sociology, and am currently in theological seminary working on an M.A. in Religion (mostly because I really wanted to and figured I'd never have the opportunity again). I've thought about medicine for as long as I can remember, and have finally decided to take the plunge. I have not completed any of the prereqs, in undergrad I only took environmental science and a basic chemistry course (and got B's in both). I'm registered for Chem 1 at the Community College of Philadelphia; I know its not ideal, I've done searches on the pros and cons, but this is the only way I can do it at this point. I plan on completing the pre-reqs and taking the MCAT by the time I finish seminary (3 years from now), and applying to med schools (MD and DO). My undergrad GPA ended up at 3.83, but is largely social science/liberal arts. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on things I can do to make myself competitive despite my weak science record and the community college issue. I'll be volunteering at a local nursing home hopefully soon, and well as beginning my shadowing. Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is long!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, and have decided to start asking some questions. About me: I graduated a year ago with a B.A. in Cross-cultural Sociology, and am currently in theological seminary working on an M.A. in Religion (mostly because I really wanted to and figured I'd never have the opportunity again). I've thought about medicine for as long as I can remember, and have finally decided to take the plunge. I have not completed any of the prereqs, in undergrad I only took environmental science and a basic chemistry course (and got B's in both). I'm registered for Chem 1 at the Community College of Philadelphia; I know its not ideal, I've done searches on the pros and cons, but this is the only way I can do it at this point.

You have to do what you have to do. We've all made decisions that are tradeoffs due to time/financial constraints.

I plan on completing the pre-reqs and taking the MCAT by the time I finish seminary (3 years from now), and applying to med schools (MD and DO). My undergrad GPA ended up at 3.83, but is largely social science/liberal arts.

That's fine; in fact, it may even make you stand out.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on things I can do to make myself competitive despite my weak science record and the community college issue. I'll be volunteering at a local nursing home hopefully soon, and well as beginning my shadowing. Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is long!

Shadowing is good. Volunteering is good. Maybe some non-clinical volunteering as well, and research. Most important is to knock the prereqs out of the park, especially since you're taking them at CCs; strive for all As. You'll also need a decent MCAT score to prove that it was appropriately rigorous.

Also, prepare to answer the question "why the career change? why medicine?", particularly in light of your attendance at seminary. Doing that for three years, but then never doing anything in that field with it, may be seen as a negative without a very compelling backstory.

Beyond that, since you've been a lurker, you probably know much of the other advice. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think that the master's in religion could be part of your admissions "hook." As a doctor, you'll be making complicated ethical decisions and guiding people through some pretty serious life events. Personally, if I were choosing between two doctors to help me with a major medical problem, I'd choose the one with the M.A. in religion -- assuming, of course, that both doctors were equally competent.

Thanks wavewheel. I'm sure hoping they will view the M.A. as unique in a positive way. But I guess I won't know unless I try...