Introduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underclass

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I've been a lurker on this site for a LOOOOOONG time and have really drawn a lot of inspiration from all of the non-trads here. I figured it's time to contribute. ;)

I am 36 years old and at times I wonder what the hell I'm doing with this pre-med stuff. Other times I'm very confident about my chances (mostly because of the posts I read here and on OPM).

I've been working full time as an alcohol and drug counselor while completing my prereqs at a CC . Lately I've been thinking of sucking it up and quitting work, going to school full-time and living off of financial aid as well as my wife's income (she is very supportive of this whole process). I feel like I am moving at a snail's pace.

Has any other non-trads out there followed a similar route?

I'm tranferring to UC Davis soon to finish a BS in psych and no matter how hard I try, I can't stop getting older. :oops:

My end goal is to be a DO psychiatrist with an addiction medicine specialty.

Thanks for reading.
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

underclass said:
Hi everyone-
I've been a lurker on this site for a LOOOOOONG time and have really drawn a lot of inspiration from all of the non-trads here. I figured it's time to contribute. ;)

I am 36 years old and at times I wonder what the hell I'm doing with this pre-med stuff. Other times I'm very confident about my chances (mostly because of the posts I read here and on OPM).

I've been working full time as an alcohol and drug counselor while completing my prereqs at a CC . Lately I've been thinking of sucking it up and quitting work, going to school full-time and living off of financial aid as well as my wife's income (she is very supportive of this whole process). I feel like I am moving at a snail's pace.

Has any other non-trads out there followed a similar route?

I'm tranferring to UC Davis soon to finish a BS in psych and no matter how hard I try, I can't stop getting older. :oops:

My end goal is to be a DO psychiatrist with an addiction medicine specialty.

Thanks for reading.
Scott

Here's my reply previously posted in response to a similar question on a different thread. One tip: please make sure you and your wife have thoroughly discussed this issue completely. It's not like you've just decided to switch from one job to a different one.

I applied in 1981 and 1982 (without a prayer of a chance). Got multiple rejections both years and said to hell with it, went active duty military for several years, then nursing school, worked as an RN in the ICU for two years, then nurse anesthetist school. I've been working as a CRNA since 1995 - but still the "itch" never left.

After debating back and forth with myself, I realized I didn't want to lie on my deathbed still wondering, "what if ???". So here comes Princeton review to knock off tons of rust, lining up references, etc.

Bottom line: I got in this time around with moderately respectable stats, and I'm 49, WHICH IS JUST A NUMBER. Physiologically I'm barely 30. And after doing open-heart anesthesia 60 hours/week I still feel mentally sharp on the weekends.

If I can do it, not giving up after all those years, then ANYONE CAN !

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. At this point in your life, you probably shouldn't be dilly-dallying with the prereqs, though. The application process ALONE (which doesn't start for another six months) takes close to a year, not counting your preparation for the MCAT (which I'm assuming you won't be taking until at LEAST next April or the NEXT April. So if you started prepping now you wouldn't even be interviewing for another year. How many prereqs do you have left? Get them done as soon as possible while being able to maintain a good GPA, but I think at this point you've lost the luxury of taking them one at a time.

Okay, lecture over. Welcome to SDN. This is a fantastic resource, filled with quality people, except for the occasional gunner. You'll likely run into quite a few of them in interviews(I know I did!).

Great advice. Thanks. I agree with you.

I still have ochem and physics left to do. I guess where there's a will, there's a way. The only thing I worry about really is the financial aspect of it.

I've decided that I am going to just go for it and stop this 2 classes a semester stuff. It's a scary decision though.
Thanks again.

underclass said:

I still have ochem and physics left to do. I guess where there's a will, there's a way. The only thing I worry about really is the financial aspect of it.

I've decided that I am going to just go for it and stop this 2 classes a semester stuff. It's a scary decision though.
Thanks again.

You'll be fine. Do you have Ochem I and II and Physics I and II left, or just one of each?

mj1878 said:
You'll be fine. Do you have Ochem I and II and Physics I and II left, or just one of each?
I and II of both...

I was taking one or two classes a semester and sometimes nothing since I moved around a lot so I did not get far academically. I was telling my mom for the last 6 years "I only need about 60 credits to get my bachelor's degree". Finally I bit the bullet last year and decided to go to school full time. I could not work as much but luckily Personal Trainers in NY makes a nice hourly wage and I got over my hangup of taking student loans. I was married this summer and my wife is a speech pathologist so she raised my standards of living big time! We definitely depend mostly on her wage now but I still put in about 15-20 hours of work now.

If your wife has a stable job and your relationship is stable I say go for it. Be sure to discuss if there is anything she wants to do that may be difficult with a single income such as having children, her going back to school or switching careers, etc.

i'm not sure if you are a postbacc or finishing your first degree. If you are postbacc you really don't need to take more than 3 classes/semester to get to your goal. Once you get to 4 science classes you start making life difficult for yourself.

Good luck!!

Hello...
I am Steve Johnson.Just joined the site I see some familiar names.I also belong to a few other forums so if you think you have seen my name before...chances are you have.Take Care all and hope to meet some or all of you someday soon.

Check out the non-trad forum. I was 38 when I started med school. I am now 42 and a fourth year. Totally doable. :D And good luck.

Thanks again.

It's definitely a BIG change. But, if your wife is supportive of your decision everything should be fine. I did the same thing two years ago, and I know I couldn't have done it if my wife weren't behind me 100%. We had to make some major adjustments in lifestyle and a lot of sacrifices. But, it was totally worth it. Two years later, I have two acceptances and another interview on the way. Also in both of the interviews I've had, the interviewers commented on how admirable it was that I took such a "leap of faith" in order to pursue my goals. So, maybe the fact that I quit my job and focused on pre-med full-time helped me in my interviews. Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't have done it any differently. I wish you all the best.