Ion handling by the kidney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamarEsawy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused so much about ions goin here and there specially sodium , potassium chloride ions
I feel confused about elctrochemical gradients
can you explain what is happening in this photo and mention what happens to the electrochemical gradient ?
CL paracellular pathway is not included in this images , include it in your reply
thanks
2ap4.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

to me these look like principal cells with ENaC and RomK channel. Both of them are governed by aldosterone which causes Na+ reabsorption through ENaC (shows as Na+ going in) and causes K+ excretion through RomK channel (shown by K+ begin excreted). Also, on basolateral surface, Na+ reabsorption is coupled to K+ excretion. (Na/K ATPase)

Reactions: 1 users
to me these look like principal cells with ENaC and RomK channel. Both of them are governed by aldosterone which causes Na+ reabsorption through ENaC (shows as Na+ going in) and causes K+ excretion through RomK channel (shown by K+ begin excreted). Also, on basolateral surface, Na+ reabsorption is coupled to K+ excretion. (Na/K ATPase)
good but see at the basolateral membrane there's also K+ channel which allows K to move from the cell to the interstium along its concentration gradient?
How about paracellular pathway for Cl- ? how its driven out of the cell by concentration gradient?

good but see at the basolateral membrane there's also K+ channel which allows K to move from the cell to the interstium along its concentration gradient?
How about paracellular pathway for Cl- ? how its driven out of the cell by concentration gradient?

Anything that moves paracellularly does so because of the electrochemical gradients on either side of the epithelium. Paracellular means between cells, not in/out of cells.