IPAD PRO vs Regular IPAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChymeofPassion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on a recommendation from peers, I am looking to buy an ipad for notability notetaking for medical school. This will be paired with my New Macbook Pro. Since I already have a high powered MacBook Pro and gaming desktop (from a past life), I cant justify the 1200 dollar IPad Pro + Pen + keyboard versus the 600 dollar regular IPad + Pen + Keyboard. If I just need it for notetaking, do I really need the iPad Pro? Would appreciate advice from people who have experience with both.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was literally in the same place as you a few weeks ago. I had to decide whether I wanted to shell out the extra $600 for the pro. I ended up getting the regular iPad and I do not regret it. My wife has the Pro and she loves that because it’s pretty much a laptop to begin with.

What you’re lose out on is potentially 128GB of memory, 2-4 GB ram, and .8” to 2.7” of screen. If you’re using it just for note taking, then you’re fine with just the iPad (especially with a good MacBook in your possession.) An iPad Pro would be good if you didn’t have a laptop already.

I was literally in the same place as you a few weeks ago. I had to decide whether I wanted to shell out the extra $600 for the pro. I ended up getting the regular iPad and I do not regret it. My wife has the Pro and she loves that because it’s pretty much a laptop to begin with.

What you’re lose out on is potentially 128GB of memory, 2-4 GB ram, and .8” to 2.7” of screen. If you’re using it just for note taking, then you’re fine with just the iPad (especially with a good MacBook in your possession.) An iPad Pro would be good if you didn’t have a laptop already.
Okay, awesome. Yeah, I figured if I'm just using notability I dont need crazy processing power. How much storage do I need, since their is a cloud? And has your apple pencil 1st gen been working well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the new MacBook Pro and the regular iPad, its a great setup, no regrets. 128gb is plenty of storage for my iPad cause I keep most of my big documents and stuff on my Mac and the first gen pencil works great too

Does anyone have any reccs on the pro vs air for both the laptop and tablet?

I bought the iPad Pro and wish I had gotten the regular iPad. It’s redundant since I already have a laptop