iPad vs iPad Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigsgr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Would you recommend an iPad Pro vs iPad for med school? Ppl I've talked to irl have given me conflicting answers. Was wondering what worked for you guys. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For what in particular? I used an iPad Air for handwritten notes/reading the syllabus/anatomy apps for studying, while my laptop was for lecture notes, but imo you could get through med school just fine without an iPad if you wanted to, so it probably depends on what you're hoping to use it for.

For what in particular? I used an iPad Air for handwritten notes/reading the syllabus/anatomy apps for studying, while my laptop was for lecture notes, but imo you could get through med school just fine without an iPad if you wanted to, so it probably depends on what you're hoping to use it for.
I've never used an iPad other than anki while studying for the MCAT. I was just advised to get one for med school, but thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all. Would you recommend an iPad Pro vs iPad for med school? Ppl I've talked to irl have given me conflicting answers. Was wondering what worked for you guys. Thanks!
Tons of classmates bought them or got them gifted to them the start of medical school. Very few people I see actually use them on a day to day. Maybe get an apple watch. Those come in clutch 4th year when getting interviews for residency and u donnt have to be on ur phone during morning rounds.

Reactions: 1 user

I recommend having a smartphone and either a large laptop or a desktop. You don't need an IPad. Feel free to splurge if you feel you've earnt it, but there are no preclinical or clinical moments you may have envisioned with students hovering around a bedside with an IPad. Lecture notes are printed. You can mark them up, review them/make anki cards, and then watch review videos and do practical questions. None of those activities requires an IPad. One tip though is to have as many screens as possible while studying so invest in a home desktop monitor set up if you're going to splurge. You can have Step 1 USMLE for First Aid, your lecture notes, (anki if needed), and your lecture stream up all at once and then have a bookstand with your lecture notes.

I bought an IPad. Ended up using it for bedtme entertainment like Netflix. Your phone can do ANKI functionally as can a computer. You don't need the IPad.

Last edited:
I got the regular iPad and Apple Pencil last year because I knew covid classes were going to be online, and I wanted the extra screen. I download textbooks on it too when I need them.

If you have a laptop already, get the regular iPad. The Pro will be a second laptop, essentially. If you're trying to save money, the Pro isn't necessary.

Reactions: 1 users