is $21,000 a year average for tution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDwannaBE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you think you will spend in total on your Au.D? Also, are you taking out loans to cover your leaving expenses (rent, utilities, etc...)? I have no idea how I will be able to pay for everything!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, unfortunately 21k seems pretty standard. :thumbdown: I'm expecting to pay about 70-80k when it's all said and done. Definitely going to require gov't and bank loans to cover tuition and living expenses. Unless your family is rich, huge loans are just a necessary evil these days. I wish our salaries were higher on average, but it's what you make of it and shouldn't be a huge concern.

My tuition will cost me ~ $74,000 total. That of course does not include health insurance, rent, food, gas or other unexpected costs. So realistically I will be taking out ~$100,000 to cover my bum. I have yet to receive my financial aid "package" from my school but im sure it will be loans loans and more loans. Federal loans have the best interest (low) and some private loans may be needed for summer tuition, ect..

It is the name of the game: loans!

-Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
my school's tuition is around 6 grand a semester, including summer, so i guess that's $18,000 for the year.

that said i don't think anybody pays that flat out. many people have tuition waivers, and those that don't got up to $4,000 in scholarships for the summer alone.

still with cost of living, we're all borrowing a lot from the government.

my school's tuition is around 6 grand a semester, including summer, so i guess that's $18,000 for the year.

that said i don't think anybody pays that flat out. many people have tuition waivers, and those that don't got up to $4,000 in scholarships for the summer alone.

still with cost of living, we're all borrowing a lot from the government.

I also know a lot of schools (if they have the funding) offer teaching assistanceships. You'll become that student teacher that undergrads love to hate, but it's good experience if you ever plan to go into teaching, and I believe you get a tuition waiver and a stipend, depending on the institution.

I have mentioned this previously in another thread, but I do think this is a very important discussion with the rapidly rising cost of education.

At 4 years many students are coming out of school with 100,000 in student loans. That is a very bad for the field in general as many people will become unhappy with the salary when 1,500 dollars a month is going to their students loans. Salaries are increasing and will continue in my opinion thanks to the move to the Au.D.

However, there is a commonly held rule about student loans. A student should only borrow as much money as they will make their first year out of school. Most students I know (which is a lot) are making 50,000-60,000 after completion of the 4th year. Obviously that means that you should not borrow anymore that 50,000 or 60,000 for school. If that requires going to an in-state school or choosing the school that offers you money over the flashy highly ranked programs than you should do it and not even think twice about it. The money in audiology is not great money. However is can be good money as long as you don't set yourself up for disaster with incredible student loans. My advice is to do anything you can to reduce your student loan debt (I worked a job outside of school, had an assistantship, and worked multiple short-term jobs during the summer and weekends) including applying to multiple places and accepting the school that is comfortable for you and will cost you the least in the student loans.

You should think about student loans like this. If you borrow 100,000+ in students loans you may very well be paying 250,000 - 300,000 with the interest added in if you make the minimum monthly payment of 1000-1500 dollars per month. In many smaller cities in the country 250,000-300,000 will buy a very nice house. So what happens when you actually want to buy a real house? :(

At least i'm in good company :). TennaciousD, do you have any suggestions for schools that are on the lower priced end?