Is a 25-30 mile commute too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a call from a walgreens district manager that is wondering if i am interested in a position that is about 25-30 miles away from me. commute would be about 30-60 minutes due to limited traffic and driving on highway speed (~70-80 mph). i said i'm interested and sent in an app. they said that pharmacy intern grad -> pharmacist is available and i have until early october to get licensed. if i can get a job offer i believe i would take this opportunity right away, considering i have no offers at the moment. is a potentially 30 mile commute one way going to be too much for my car? that's driving nearly 60 miles every day for potentially 5 days a week

Members don't see this ad.

No, very easily doable. The majority of my family does commutes like that. Living in far exburbs and working in the closest big city. They only thing that made them complain is when the weather doubled their commute time. Some people scoff at the idea of any commute but in my life expierence there wasn't much of a choice otherwise and it's completely normal.

Xm radio, podcasts and books on tape will make it that much easier

If you're in to cycling it's also a doable commute a couple times a week assuming the daylight works out

Reactions: 3 users
i got a call from a walgreens district manager that is wondering if i am interested in a position that is about 25-30 miles away from me. commute would be about 30-60 minutes due to limited traffic and driving on highway speed (~70-80 mph). i said i'm interested and sent in an app. they said that pharmacy intern grad -> pharmacist is available and i have until early october to get licensed. if i can get a job offer i believe i would take this opportunity right away, considering i have no offers at the moment. is a potentially 30 mile commute one way going to be too much for my car? that's driving nearly 60 miles every day for potentially 5 days a week
Depends on how comfortable your car is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
25-30 miles is nothing. Take it. Worst case just grab yourself a cheap condo nearby.

Reactions: 1 users
That's actually considered pretty good if you live in LA. Are you from a small town?

Just take it. It’s pretty reasonable commute.
Good luck!

30 minutes is perfectly fine and gives you plenty of time to listen to podcasts. Anything higher than that will start to become very uncomfortable.

I would take it and consider renting an apartment later when they offer you the pharmacist position. So get your license as soon as you can.

it is all relative - if it means no job if you don't take it - well, then it is a no brainer, if you have better offers closer - then it is a no-brainer the other way,

My commute history - 45 miles ones way (rural country roads)
then 40 miles
then 27 miles
then 7 miles
then 5 miles
now 1 mile - ya closer is good, but it is easily doable - like was said earlier - if you were in NYC or LA - that would be considered an average commute time wise.

Reactions: 1 users
i've decided that if i get a job offer i will surely take it. it seems that i wouldn't even have to move since the commute is only 30-60 mins one way. judging from the replies that seems do-able long term. the city in which this walgreens is located in is associated with high crime so living there is not exactly ideal

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet innocent child, I used to regularly float 50-60 miles away, once was sent 95 miles. 30 miles is doable. My current commute is 7 though and it's much more manageable.

Reactions: 5 users
Many of us would kill to have a 25-30 mile commute.

Man, I know new grads who drive 90 minutes each way...

It's worth it. I have a car with ~ 20 mpg, so if I commute it's about $10 a day back and forth.
It's more like an hour commute, though, so you are a little more tired than usual. I'd move to an apartment closer to work after you are used to the workplace.

i've decided that if i get a job offer i will surely take it. it seems that i wouldn't even have to move since the commute is only 30-60 mins one way. judging from the replies that seems do-able long term. the city in which this walgreens is located in is associated with high crime so living there is not exactly ideal

You don’t have to live right next door to that Walgreens or even in that city. I bet you that you can find a decent place that’s 10 miles away.
As you know, retail is hard work. At Walgreens, you will work 5 days a week. It’s not Walmart where you can still find some locations that do four 10 hour shifts. I’ve done up to 120 miles each way. Saturation... what can I say...
Move closer. That’s my humble two cents. It will help you keep your sanity. Retail won’t be as draining if your commute is 20 minutes and you’re able to engage in some physical activity a few times a week; either before or after your shift.
I find that everything rolls off my back when I make it to the gym before my shift.

Best of luck!

I listen to medical podcasts on my commute. Its an awesome way to keep up.

As someone who had a 50 mile one way commute as a new grad.. it's doable for a year or two. The drive wasn't bad (highway) and great opportunity to listen to music or podcasts. Eventually the wear and tear / high mileage on the car starts to bother you though. Unless you have a better offer elsewhere, it's not a bad idea to take a guaranteed 80 hr per pay period gig (rare for new grads). You'll eventually want a store closer to you, but it's easier to switch to a closer, more desirable store once you have 1-2 years under your belt and a good relationship with your dm.

30 miles one way gets old fast but as long as it's a reverse commute or easy commute you can suck it up for a year or two. Better than dealing with traffic and clownshow drivers on surface roads (I drive 15 miles one way with commute traffic and it takes 35-50 minutes depending on rain)

thank you all for the replies. i have an interview scheduled next week. it has come to my realization that i will most likely be floating since i'm a new grad. therefore my original assumption of just 25-30 miles of one way commute is inaccurate. i could be looking at up to 40 miles one way of commute, maybe more, due to covering the entire district (not sure how far out the district goes). i could see my commutes being up to 1 hour long one way, maybe a little more but hopefully not much. my current rotation takes me 45-60 minutes commute one way but i'm only driving 20 miles. the problem is the traffic slows down the commute significantly. for this position at walgreens i am driving in the opposite direction of traffic in the mornings and evenings so traffic doesn't play that much of a factor. also i'll have access to a highway so i'll be going 70-80 mph consistently which cuts down the trip time a lot. i'm excited for the interview and i believe i am going to perform well and deliver a good impression

also, because CVS got rid of pharmacy supervisors recently, i decided to reach out to the new district manager for my store (i currently intern at CVS). the new DM may be willing to consider interviewing me for a floater position even though my performance review of last year was poor. she told me she was going to speak with my pharmacy manager which i have no problems with because my manager supports my abilities.

so anyway, there is a chance that i will get an offer from CVS, and hopefully from walgreens as well. if that does happen i'll decide which one is good for me based on location, pay, etc. both offers will most surely be floater positions. i'm not sure about CVS though. i've read some recent threads on the forum, and the stories at CVS currently do not seem pleasant. i also may have to float overnights as well, it doesn't seem that they have 24 hour walgreens in the area of interest. i feel that CVS could severely run me down, but then again it is an option

Last edited: