Is Academic Oncologist seeing benign hem patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droplet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently switched from hospital employed to an academic job as a breast oncologist, with clinical duty 0.7. Protected research time 0.2. The rest is administrative/ teaching. Recently, the surgical breast oncologist left, and they are looking for a new one. The speed is down for breast oncology. The chief asked me to see some benign heme patients during my clinic time since the hematologists have a lot of consults. I do not like the idea, since my panel will be full soon with all of the benign heme patients. Is it a normal situation? I would rather use this period of time to start set up my clinical/ translational research. Needs some advice regarding this. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're getting paid for a 70% clinical effort, you're probably going to need to put in 70% clinical effort. Sounds like this is a temporary issue pending surgery getting their s*** together. Up to you how hard you want to rock the boat at what seems like a new position.

I wouldn't worry so much about your panel "filling up" with heme. First of all, I've never seen a hem/onc doc with a "full panel". No matter how many patients I'm taking care of, I get 3-5 new patients every day. Plus, once the breast business ramps back up you can have all those IDAs and ITPs follow up with Dr. Blood at their next visit.

Reactions: 1 user