Is anyone's hardest part going to be leaving their family/hometown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am super excited about my acceptance to dental school. I had gone there for graduate school, but that was very short term (2 yrs). My husband sort of needs to be in VA for his career, too. He is a photographer...not much opportunity in Buffalo for that. Anyway, my family (we are VERY close) has accepted that I would make a more perm. move eventually. Now that we are confronted with this, my family can't really even talk about it with me without getting so upset it makes me feel terrible. UB (my undergrad and local dental school) said I need to raise my DAT to the low 20 range at least. Even if they did accept me, there is nothing here for my husband to do and he is 36. My mom is my best friend and I adore my father and brother who all live in buffalo with my entire extended family pretty much as well. Will this be anyone else's biggest challenge upon getting into dental school? Any positive outlooks? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am super excited about my acceptance to dental school. I had gone there for graduate school, but that was very short term (2 yrs). My husband sort of needs to be in VA for his career, too. He is a photographer...not much opportunity in Buffalo for that. Anyway, my family (we are VERY close) has accepted that I would make a more perm. move eventually. Now that we are confronted with this, my family can't really even talk about it with me without getting so upset it makes me feel terrible. UB (my undergrad and local dental school) said I need to raise my DAT to the low 20 range at least. Even if they did accept me, there is nothing here for my husband to do and he is 36. My mom is my best friend and I adore my father and brother who all live in buffalo with my entire extended family pretty much as well. Will this be anyone else's biggest challenge upon getting into dental school? Any positive outlooks? :)
There is plenty to be positive about. You got into dental school. That's not so easy to do nowadays. You are going to a good school. You are going with your husband. Some parents have trouble letting go...so do some children. Moving away is an inevitable part of life for just about everyone. It makes you enjoy the visits with them even more.

For me the hardest part about going to dental school will be getting accepted.