Is biochemistry a prerequisite for MD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseapple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking generally, is biochem a prerequisite? It doesn't seem like any of the schools I have looked at require it. Can someone verify this / is there a list of schools that DO require it somewhere?

Thanks a bunch guys--

Members don't see this ad.

I think at most schools it isn't a requirement yet. Although some schools have an "upper level science course" listed as one of their prerequisite and may give an example as biochem being able to fulfill that requirement. I would guess that now with the new MCAT becoming more focused on biochem we may start seeing it become an official prerequisite at more schools. But at this point it's probably just school dependent.

I think at most schools it isn't a requirement yet. Although some schools have an "upper level science course" listed as one of their prerequisite and may give an example as biochem being able to fulfill that requirement. I would guess that now with the new MCAT becoming more focused on biochem we may start seeing it become an official prerequisite at more schools. But at this point it's probably just school dependent.
Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks much--

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldn't recommend taking this MCAT without taking a biochem class first. The depth of what is tested is rather difficult to simply self teach(although given this is SDN we can just start a countdown till a number of poeple come on this thread talking about how they self studied biochem en route to a 518+)

Reactions: 1 users
its a requirement for some but not all

The number of schools requiring it has been increasing for the last couple years. By the time the MCAT 2015 is the only MCAT seen (~2 more cycles), it will probably become required at most schools.

Reactions: 1 users
biochem is a huge part of the new MCAT (see chart below). IMO it would be foolish to attempt the MCAT without having biochem.

here are some of the med schools that do require biochem: yale, stony brook, NYMC, case western, dartmouth, hopkins, harvard, creighton, mayo.. and there are a bunch of others too

Kaplan-MCAT2015-Chart.jpg