Is "burnout" real or a myth? If real, how do you avoid it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can handle almost any bodily fluid, but respiratory secretions are by far the nastiest thing in medicine.

I'll trade your snot for my patients' pelvics any day.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been strongly considering EM and I've been wondering what is a common exit strategy for the older Doc, maybe in his/her 50s, whom is having a hard time working multiple shifts (some of them during the night). They're not old, but some of the stress of working in the ED has grinded them down over the years. EM doesn't seem to be the field where you can practice part time when you're 65-70 years old like some other fields. Do most of the physicians just retire early, or move into academics/administration? One EM physician has told me you have to have a plan (seemed to hint it was a financial plan as well as a management plan) in mind when you get older, because otherwise you will be in bad shape if you plan on working full time until a normal retirement age (~65).

I've been strongly considering EM and I've been wondering what is a common exit strategy for the older Doc, maybe in his/her 50s, whom is having a hard time working multiple shifts (some of them during the night). They're not old, but some of the stress of working in the ED has grinded them down over the years. EM doesn't seem to be the field where you can practice part time when you're 65-70 years old like some other fields. Do most of the physicians just retire early, or move into academics/administration? One EM physician has told me you have to have a plan (seemed to hint it was a financial plan as well as a management plan) in mind when you get older, because otherwise you will be in bad shape if you plan on working full time until a normal retirement age (~65).

You can practice full time into your 60s but it's hard. In general, the emphasis on maximizing earnings starting out and lack of stability for many contracts means that your best plan for aging is having enough money that you don't have to worry about what you're going to do for a living at 65. Otherwise older docs tend to try and cut down on circadian shifts and branch off into lower acuity/lower pay avenues (urgent care, admin, real estate).

Members don't see this ad :)
I can handle almost any bodily fluid, but respiratory secretions are by far the nastiest thing in medicine.

So much this. It took me exactly 1 day on my otolaryngology rotation to nope the hell out of that specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Do em docs not have a set schedule? Something like 7am-7pm 3 or 4 days a week? Can one choose not to do overnight? If the average is 40-50 hpw that doesnt seem that bad unless the schedule is always changing...

Do em docs not have a set schedule? Something like 7am-7pm 3 or 4 days a week? Can one choose not to do overnight? If the average is 40-50 hpw that doesnt seem that bad unless the schedule is always changing...

ROFL.

Couple of things to clear up real quick. EM docs work 30-40 hours/wk, not 40-50. The flipside of the coin is, yes, you are going to work nights. You are going to work different time slots. You are going to work holidays and weekends.

So no, there is no set schedule. It generally gets made up 1 or 2 months in advance depending on where you work. If you do find a place that lets you not work nights, you are going to take a significant pay cut for the privilege and you are going to be much less employable than someone who is willing to do their share of nights

thx. What is significant pay cut like? 30%>? I dont mind weekends or holidays. But like having set sleep schedule or at least get a full 8-9 hrs / 24 hours.

thx. What is significant pay cut like? 30%>? I dont mind weekends or holidays. But like having set sleep schedule or at least get a full 8-9 hrs / 24 hours.

If you choose EM, or if EM chooses you... say goodbye a regular sleep schedule for the rest of your life.

You can certainly get a full 8-9 hrs per every 24 hrs, they just won't necessarily be during the night.

As for the pay cut, I don't know, I'm just starting my residency. I haven't heard of anyone doing it straight out of residency though; all the stories I've heard about that are older docs who have already put in their time.

oh..well thats too bed heh.

would someone mind sharing their or a typical weekly schedule for attending in er?

also, has burn out always been an issue with em? I cant help but think way too many people got into because it appeared cool due to shows like ER and General Hospital not because they ever enjoyed it.

Perhaps EM is not for you..............

On another note, perhaps medicine is not for you either...........

oh..well thats too bed heh.

would someone mind sharing their or a typical weekly schedule for attending in er?
Typically?
On average I work 1 in 3 days. However, some weeks I work 1 day, some I work 6. It allows me to take vacation without taking a pay cut. 25% of my shifts are nights, so that's 3 per month.
It could be worse, I'm sure.

Typically?
On average I work 1 in 3 days. However, some weeks I work 1 day, some I work 6. It allows me to take vacation without taking a pay cut. 25% of my shifts are nights, so that's 3 per month.
It could be worse, I'm sure.

Do they let you like... just have back to back to back night shifts so you get the 3 out of the way..?

I've seen a person experiencing "physician burn out". As others have said, a lot has to do with the gap between expectation and reality. But I think there's more too. Sleep deprivation exacerbates any psychological issue- the shifts in EM are not conducive to healthy sleep patterns.
Also, and this is just general advice, it's important to cultivate a life outside of work and be "balanced". That way your emotional well being is not directly dependent on your job, but rather your lifestyle a whole. I realize that's difficult when you have crazy shifts and are constantly catching up on sleep, but it's important.

Its probably been said earlier in this thread but do not underestimate how peoples life outside of work is affecting them at work. That includes family/friend illness, spousal/partner issues, financial issues, alcohol and drugs.

Its probably been said earlier in this thread but do not underestimate how peoples life outside of work is affecting them at work. That includes family/friend illness, spousal/partner issues, financial issues, alcohol and drugs.
And don't underestimate the opposite:

How much ones "work-life" can affect ones life outside of work.

Reactions: 1 users