Is college counseling always a lower income sentence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PsyDr - are you making the case non-competes are unenforceable across the board? Or just in contexts like UCCs with special/captive populations where non-competes aren't likely to exist?

Most every AMC I'm aware of has people sign a non-compete (at least if they will be practicing clinically). Enforcement obviously varies, but I've certainly seen legal action threatened against folks with an unsanctioned PP. I realize non-competes are a legal quagmire, but if it was as settled as "They legally have to allow it" I'm doubtful institutions would still bother with them...

Members don't see this ad.

PsyDr - are you making the case non-competes are unenforceable across the board? Or just in contexts like UCCs with special/captive populations where non-competes aren't likely to exist?

Most every AMC I'm aware of has people sign a non-compete (at least if they will be practicing clinically). Enforcement obviously varies, but I've certainly seen legal action threatened against folks with an unsanctioned PP. I realize non-competes are a legal quagmire, but if it was as settled as "They legally have to allow it" I'm doubtful institutions would still bother with them...

Most non-competes are unenforceable as they are written too broadly. The threat is in bringing the lawsuit and bankrupting you. Not winning the case.

Most non-competes are unenforceable as they are written too broadly. The threat is in bringing the lawsuit and bankrupting you. Not winning the case.
There's definitely money in it for someone. As a healthcare lawyer buddy I know said, "I've paid all my kids' college tuition litigating non-competes."

Members don't see this ad :)
There's definitely money in it for someone. As a healthcare lawyer buddy I know said, "I've paid all my kids' college tuition litigating non-competes."

The last lawyer I spoke to charged a $5k retainer for looking at a case and $25k minimum if it ended up in court. Does it matter if they win if you are out $50k in legal costs? Almost any non-compete for us would not be in the public interest and will usually unduly restrain the employee and go beyond what is necessary to protect the employer.

Reactions: 1 user
That seems to be one of the best reasons to pick a VA over AMC. The VA not having non-competes is an attractive option for a new grad testing the waters, or so I'd imagine.

Last edited:
The last lawyer I spoke to charged a $5k retainer for looking at a case and $25k minimum if it ended up in court. Does it matter if they win if you are out $50k in legal costs? Almost any non-compete for us would not be in the public interest and will usually unduly restrain the employee and go beyond what is necessary to protect the employer.

I agree. But, we shouldn't make blanket "non competes are unenforceable" statements. Some are, and some that aren't are a PITA. Probably why some states are significantly restricting them. My state just did so.

Reactions: 1 user
That seems to be one of the best reasons to pick a VA over AMC. The VA having no non-compete is an attractive option for a new ground testing the waters, or so I'd imagine.
Yep, as aggravating as VA jobs can be at times, the lack of a non-compete is a big advantage. At this point, I probably know more VA psychologists who do have side gigs than don't.

That seems to be one of the best reasons to pick a VA over AMC. The VA having no non-compete is an attractive option for a new ground testing the waters, or so I'd imagine.
That and the hours are the main perks I see (aside from the warm-fuzzies of working with vets for those who feel that way). Research side there are other funding lines open to them, but I think those are outweighed by the downsides for any purely-VA research appointment.

Yep, as aggravating as VA jobs can be at times, the lack of a non-compete is a big advantage. At this point, I probably know more VA psychologists who do have side gigs than don't.
My PI does not have a side gig, but that's also because she's home right when her kids get home from school. Not too shabby if you want to raise a family with not a ton of work stress.

My PI does not have a side gig, but that's also because she's home right when her kids get home from school. Not too shabby if you want to raise a family with not a ton of work stress.
Yes, like Ollie said, the predictability of the schedule and lack of expectation (or at least lack of enforceability) of staying after hours is a decent benefit.