Is GW a good school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woodstock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and just wanted everyone's opinion on GW. I live in DC and think I want to go to medical school here - so as of right now georgetown and gw are my top choices. I have a 3.75 GPA from Harvard and got a 33 on my MCAT. I have a good feeling about GW based on what I've heard from other people but I know Georgetown is ranked higher (at least in undergrad) and I don't know if I should try to aim higher in general and go to a higher/top-ranked school (if i'm lucky enough to get in there). I want to do my residency here in DC hopefully at Children's Hospital where GW students do their rotations. Does anyone have any advice for me on Georgetown vs. GW or DC schools vs. other schools based on my stats. I know the whole application process is a crapshoot and I'd consider myself lucky to get in anywhere, but I would really love some advice. Or maybe I should just base my decision on where all the cute boys are! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Woodstock said:
Or maybe I should just base my decision on where all the cute boys are! :love:

That's how you picked Harvard in the first place, right? :laugh:

It isn't Georgetown, but it is a middle-high tier school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear GT is quite conservative. ??? They're both expensive. Both match well in the DC area.
I'd go for the cutest boys.

GW isn't on the USNEWS top 50 list. They have an average of 29 MCATS. I guess it is probably ranked #70-80 on my unofficial US medical schools list.

So what if it isn't ranked in US News. It's still a very good school, and getting in isn't all that easy. They have really awesome facilities and technology, and studying medicine in D.C. has its own opportunities altogether.

I totally agree, I believe there is no such thing as a "bad" medical school. But if you want to tier schools, thats a different matter.

go for the cute boys ;)

seriously, they're both good schools. Obviously Georgetown is ranked higher, but see where you get in, visit both schools, and then make your decision based on how you feel about them.

good luck! :luck:

Dr.Giggles said:
GW isn't on the USNEWS top 50 list. They have an average of 29 MCATS. I guess it is probably ranked #70-80 on my unofficial US medical schools list.

US News is very one-sided. If you want to go to medical school for research, then Giggles is right and G.W. isn't your best choice. However, US News does not rank schools based on residency placement. If you plan on practicing like most of us and don't plan on primary care, US News rankings are near pointless. Look at G.W.'s match list. It is not shabby at all!

Still don't believe me. Compare G.W.'s match list with Univ. Alabama Birmingham (U.S. News #23) or Oregon (#35). G.W. sends more students to more prestigious residencies than either and it isn't ranked in the top #50 in research. Don't get me wrong, all are good schools. I have nothing against any of the ones I listed and I'm sorry if it sounds bad. All I'm saying is that you need to look at the reasons why you are attending medical school and which schools offer the best in that area of expertise.

TexPre-Med said:
US News is very one-sided. If you want to go to medical school for research, then Giggles is right and G.W. isn't your best choice. However, US News does not rank schools based on residency placement. If you plan on practicing like most of us and don't plan on primary care, US News rankings are near pointless. Look at G.W.'s match list. It is not shabby at all!

Still don't believe me. Compare G.W.'s match list with Univ. Alabama Birmingham (U.S. News #23) or Oregon (#35). G.W. sends more students to more prestigious residencies than either and it isn't ranked in the top #50 in research. Don't get me wrong, all are good schools. I have nothing against any of the ones I listed and I'm sorry if it sounds bad. All I'm saying is that you need to look at the reasons why you are attending medical school and which schools offer the best in that area of expertise.

Playing devil's advocate I think research at GW may actually be one of the better ones BECAUSE of the fact that NIH is located right there. Both GT and GWU would have awesome opportunities for research because of NIH nearby and GW does have very nice facilities from what I've looked up.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your responses. I am definitely interested in primary care (pediatrics actually) and it sounds like both GT and GW are good in that department. I think maybe I'll get a better feel of the schools if I get interviews and then I'll get a chance to check out the guys too! :D

Apply and see what happens. Plenty of people with great stats don't even get the interview at GW and GT. Both I and my roommate didn't while we were invited at schools like Hopkins and Duke. If you get invited, you can decide by yourself later. Good luck!